Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > No modem cable with my Dell laptop

No modem cable with my Dell laptop

Dave - Dave.net.nz

maz wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone else has purchased a Dell notebook, and did
> actually get provided with a modem cable.

we buy a heap of them here at work, and each has had a modem cable.
All Latitude 600 or Lat 800 models.

> I would expect that I would have been provided with everything to use the
> laptop, after spending close to 3k on it.

indeed, it sounds like it was left out rather than intentionally,
although if the CSR said that, it is kinda odd.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

maz

Just been delivered a new Dell laptop, but it didn't come with a modem
cable. It did come with an adapter to plug into my telephone socket, there
is just no cord to connect the computer to it. I spoke to Dell in Malaysia
or India or somewhere like that, and they said that they don't include the
cable, however nowhere in the manual does it say that it doesn't come with
one.

Just wondering if anyone else has purchased a Dell notebook, and did
actually get provided with a modem cable.
I would expect that I would have been provided with everything to use the
laptop, after spending close to 3k on it.

ws

Same!!!!

"maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz> wrote in message
> Just been delivered a new Dell laptop, but it didn't come with a modem
> cable. It did come with an adapter to plug into my telephone socket, there
> is just no cord to connect the computer to it. I spoke to Dell in Malaysia
> or India or somewhere like that, and they said that they don't include the
> cable, however nowhere in the manual does it say that it doesn't come with
> one.
>
> Just wondering if anyone else has purchased a Dell notebook, and did
> actually get provided with a modem cable.
> I would expect that I would have been provided with everything to use the
> laptop, after spending close to 3k on it.

Dorado

maz wrote:
> Just been delivered a new Dell laptop, but it didn't come with a modem
> cable. It did come with an adapter to plug into my telephone socket,
> there is just no cord to connect the computer to it. I spoke to Dell
> in Malaysia or India or somewhere like that, and they said that they
> don't include the cable, however nowhere in the manual does it say
> that it doesn't come with one.
>
> Just wondering if anyone else has purchased a Dell notebook, and did
> actually get provided with a modem cable.
> I would expect that I would have been provided with everything to use
> the laptop, after spending close to 3k on it.

I bought an Inspiron 1100 about a year ago, got all the cables with it, even
had 2 different types of modem cables, one that fits the NZ sockets and one
I believe for US sockets.

maz

"ws" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sqZjd.582$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Same!!!!
>

> "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz> wrote in message
> > Just been delivered a new Dell laptop, but it didn't come with a modem
> > cable. It did come with an adapter to plug into my telephone socket,

there
> > is just no cord to connect the computer to it. I spoke to Dell in

Malaysia
> > or India or somewhere like that, and they said that they don't include

the
> > cable, however nowhere in the manual does it say that it doesn't come

with
> > one.
> >
> > Just wondering if anyone else has purchased a Dell notebook, and did
> > actually get provided with a modem cable.
> > I would expect that I would have been provided with everything to use

the
> > laptop, after spending close to 3k on it.

Must be a recent thing, so they can save a bit of money. Just very annoying
for their customers when purcahsing such an expensive item, as it makes Dell
appear to be very cheap that they can't even supply the modem cable. I also
purchased another brand of desktop, and they were able to supply a modem
cable.
Maybe Dell think our internet needs are not of third world standards and
that we wouldn't need such a thing as a modem cable, and that we would all
be using wifi in NZ. It is very strange that it comes with the plug for
plugging into the telephone socket though.

Rob

>> Just wondering if anyone else has purchased a Dell notebook, and did
>> actually get provided with a modem cable.

> we buy a heap of them here at work, and each has had a modem cable.
> All Latitude 600 or Lat 800 models.
>
>> I would expect that I would have been provided with everything to use the
>> laptop, after spending close to 3k on it.

> indeed, it sounds like it was left out rather than intentionally, although
> if the CSR said that, it is kinda odd.
>
> --
> Dave Hall
> http://www.dave.net.nz
> http://www.karyn.net.nz

Mines an inspirion 8600 model, so maybe with these models they don't supply.

Sorry, I initially sent the reply to your email instead of to the group

JedMeister

"maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz> wrote in message
> Just been delivered a new Dell laptop, but it didn't come with a modem
> cable. It did come with an adapter to plug into my telephone socket, there
> is just no cord to connect the computer to it. I spoke to Dell in Malaysia
> or India or somewhere like that, and they said that they don't include the
> cable, however nowhere in the manual does it say that it doesn't come with
> one.
>
> Just wondering if anyone else has purchased a Dell notebook, and did
> actually get provided with a modem cable.
> I would expect that I would have been provided with everything to use the
> laptop, after spending close to 3k on it.

I was supplied a cable for my inspiron 8100 bought several years ago, from
Dell Ireland.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Rob wrote:
> Mines an inspirion 8600 model, so maybe with these models they don't supply.

that would suck.

> Sorry, I initially sent the reply to your email instead of to the group

no worries, I only check it ~once a week.
it's just there to test gmails spam filtering, which sofar seems pretty
good.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Toxickiwi

Got one with mine, I have only used it once (to check if my modem was
working).

I bought a 600m about 10 months ago, it is an awsome notebook, you
read lots of stuff about Dell (not all good) as you do with all large
companies, but I would recommend the Inspiron 600m to anyone looking
for a notebook.

Toxickiwi wrote:
> I bought a 600m about 10 months ago, it is an awsome notebook, you
> read lots of stuff about Dell (not all good) as you do with all large
> companies, but I would recommend the Inspiron 600m to anyone looking
> for a notebook.

heh, had to re0read that post, I was thinking, why would someone buy a
600 metre(600m) phone cable...