Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Long filenames on FAT32 on windows 2003 server

Long filenames on FAT32 on windows 2003 server

Richard

I have an MP3 player, it needs to be formatted fat to work.

When I plug into a windows 2000 pro machine, it works fine, same with
XP, but on 2003 server I get told that the drive doesnt support long
filenames when copying onto it and everything gets renamed to silly 8
char filenames.

However I can see long filenames on the player that were copied on
another computer

I tried formatting another USB memory device to fat32 and the same
thing happened. What do I have to do to get long filenames working on
2003 server?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Richard wrote:
> but on 2003 server I get told that the drive doesnt support long
> filenames when copying onto it and everything gets renamed to silly 8
> char filenames.
> However I can see long filenames on the player that were copied on
> another computer

do you mean you can see the files(as in using explorer), or you can see
the file names on the MP3 player.
Could it be that you are just seeing the ID3 tags?

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Richard

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Richard wrote:
> > but on 2003 server I get told that the drive doesnt support long
> > filenames when copying onto it and everything gets renamed to silly 8
> > char filenames.
> > However I can see long filenames on the player that were copied on
> > another computer

> do you mean you can see the files(as in using explorer), or you can see
> the file names on the MP3 player.
> Could it be that you are just seeing the ID3 tags?

I can see the files copied on another computer in windows explorer
with there full file names, its just when trying to write files or
rename them on the 2003 machine that it tells me the drive doesnt
support long filenames.

I cant format it fat32 on the 2003 machine, it will only let me choose
NTFS as a file system.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Richard wrote:
> I can see the files copied on another computer in windows explorer
> with there full file names, its just when trying to write files or
> rename them on the 2003 machine that it tells me the drive doesnt
> support long filenames.

> I cant format it fat32 on the 2003 machine, it will only let me choose
> NTFS as a file system.

This is probly going to be taken the wrong way, but why is an MP3 player
being plugged into a server?
surely your not using a server OS for day to day use?

Personally I'd just use another machine, one with a non-server OS.
Is the MP3 player just detected as a USB storage device, or do drivers
have to be loaded?
did it come with drivers?
is it supported under 2k3 according to the manufacturer?

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Dave Taylor

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Richard) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> Richard wrote:
>> > but on 2003 server I get told that the drive doesnt support long
>> > filenames when copying onto it and everything gets renamed to silly
>> > 8 char filenames.
>> > However I can see long filenames on the player that were copied on
>> > another computer

>> do you mean you can see the files(as in using explorer), or you can
>> see the file names on the MP3 player.
>> Could it be that you are just seeing the ID3 tags?

> I can see the files copied on another computer in windows explorer
> with there full file names, its just when trying to write files or
> rename them on the 2003 machine that it tells me the drive doesnt
> support long filenames.
>
> I cant format it fat32 on the 2003 machine, it will only let me choose
> NTFS as a file system.

Fat32 is deprecated in Windows 2003, you can probably find the policy and
enable the lagacy fat32 support, but WHY? I wouldn't do it.

--
Ciao, Dave

Richard

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>
>> I can see the files copied on another computer in windows explorer
>> with there full file names, its just when trying to write files or
>> rename them on the 2003 machine that it tells me the drive doesnt
>> support long filenames.

>> I cant format it fat32 on the 2003 machine, it will only let me choose
>> NTFS as a file system.

> This is probly going to be taken the wrong way, but why is an MP3 player
> being plugged into a server?
> surely your not using a server OS for day to day use?

Server 2003 has raid 5, the machine with the MP3s on it is running it, Its slow

> Personally I'd just use another machine, one with a non-server OS.
> Is the MP3 player just detected as a USB storage device, or do drivers
> have to be loaded?
> did it come with drivers?
> is it supported under 2k3 according to the manufacturer?

USB storage device thats formatted fat32, its no stinky ipod with itunes

Richard

Dave Taylor wrote:

> Fat32 is deprecated in Windows 2003, you can probably find the policy and
> enable the lagacy fat32 support, but WHY? I wouldn't do it.

Well navigating directorys called YellowCa and TheDonna and U2HowToD is somewhat
annoying.

I have already had to enable the legacy support for my printer, and I cant
really see what the loss would be enabling this.. Off to find it now...

Richard

Richard wrote:

> Dave Taylor wrote:
>
>> Fat32 is deprecated in Windows 2003, you can probably find the policy
>> and enable the lagacy fat32 support, but WHY? I wouldn't do it.

> Well navigating directorys called YellowCa and TheDonna and U2HowToD is
> somewhat annoying.
>
> I have already had to enable the legacy support for my printer, and I
> cant really see what the loss would be enabling this.. Off to find it
> now...

Actually, after reformatting it in windows 2000, it is now working as it should.

Richard

Richard wrote:

> Actually, after reformatting it in windows 2000, it is now working as it
> should.

Spoke too soon, worked the first time I plugged it in, played the songs, and now
its telling me it doesnt support long file names or ones with spaces again...argh

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Richard wrote:
> Server 2003 has raid 5, the machine with the MP3s on it is running it,
> Its slow loading over the lan as I dont have gigabit.

sorry, I dont have any suggestions other than use another machine.

USB or USB2?

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz