Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Computer shops gone Belly-up

Computer shops gone Belly-up

.exe

Starlyte here in Wellington, and also Gyrotech it seems.

these 2 used to always be mentioned on pricespy. Looks like they cut
their own throats.

Anybody know of any others ?

GraB

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 11:51:55 +1300, ".exe"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Starlyte here in Wellington, and also Gyrotech it seems.
>
>these 2 used to always be mentioned on pricespy. Looks like they cut
>their own throats.
>
>Anybody know of any others ?

Gyrotech website comes up OK.

Rich

".exe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Starlyte here in Wellington, and also Gyrotech it seems.
>
> these 2 used to always be mentioned on pricespy. Looks like they cut
> their own throats.
>
> Anybody know of any others ?

Starlyte has closed as the owner is pursuing other avenues. He has been
offered a job with a high-profile digital imaging studio and does not have
the time to continue with starlyte.co.nz.

Gurble

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 17:07:30 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> had
this to say:

>On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 11:51:55 +1300, ".exe"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Starlyte here in Wellington, and also Gyrotech it seems.
>>
>>these 2 used to always be mentioned on pricespy. Looks like they cut
>>their own throats.
>>
>>Anybody know of any others ?
>>

>Gyrotech website comes up OK.

Hmm, there is a definate impression of some very odd goings-on,
though.

from www.gyrotech.co.nz :

"By creating an account at Talk IT Ltd formerly Gyrotech 2004 Ltd you
will be able to shop faster, be up to date on an orders status, and
keep track of the orders you have previously made."

From public info from the Companies site (www.companies.govt.nz):

Gyrotech Ltd was struck off on 17th December 2003. Tupoto Hayes is the
registered director (the fellow that was also a director of Metroplex
Imports Ltd, which is currently in liquidation - I've heard that the
other director is not very happy with him!)

Hayes is now a director of Dot PC's Ltd, a computer wholesaler selling
much the same items as Metroplex Imports did.

About a month later, on 20th January 2004, Gyrotech (2004) Ltd was
incorporated, with a Brian Blellock registered as the sole director.
He is also a director of 3 other Wellington-based computer and
electronics companies of which there is very little information.

Interestingly, despite a different director, both companies have the
same registered office, which is also the contact address on their
website. This could imply several things.

Despite the note when placing an order through the www.gyrotech.co.nz
site about "Talk IT Ltd, formerly Gyrotech 2004 Ltd", there is no
company registered as "Talk IT Ltd".

So who owns the gyrotech domain? Apparently Gyrotech Ltd, which, of
course, is in liquidation.

So, if they are still going, who would you be giving your money and/or
Credit Card number to? Gyrotech Ltd, a struck off company that still
appears to own the domain, Gyrotech (2004) Ltd, or Talk IT Ltd, the
one that their site says is the one, but that doesn't exist?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Perhaps the OP could comment on why they said they have gone belly-up.
Did they have a retail outlet that has closed down?

.exe

Gurble wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 17:07:30 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> had
> this to say:
>
> >On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 11:51:55 +1300, ".exe"
> ><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>Starlyte here in Wellington, and also Gyrotech it seems.
> >>
> >>these 2 used to always be mentioned on pricespy. Looks like they cut
> >>their own throats.
> >>
> >>Anybody know of any others ?
> >>

> >Gyrotech website comes up OK.

> Hmm, there is a definate impression of some very odd goings-on,
> though.
>
> from www.gyrotech.co.nz :
>
> "By creating an account at Talk IT Ltd formerly Gyrotech 2004 Ltd you
> will be able to shop faster, be up to date on an orders status, and
> keep track of the orders you have previously made."
>
> From public info from the Companies site (www.companies.govt.nz):
>
> Gyrotech Ltd was struck off on 17th December 2003. Tupoto Hayes is the
> registered director (the fellow that was also a director of Metroplex
> Imports Ltd, which is currently in liquidation - I've heard that the
> other director is not very happy with him!)
>
> Hayes is now a director of Dot PC's Ltd, a computer wholesaler selling
> much the same items as Metroplex Imports did.
>
> About a month later, on 20th January 2004, Gyrotech (2004) Ltd was
> incorporated, with a Brian Blellock registered as the sole director.
> He is also a director of 3 other Wellington-based computer and
> electronics companies of which there is very little information.
>
> Interestingly, despite a different director, both companies have the
> same registered office, which is also the contact address on their
> website. This could imply several things.
>
> Despite the note when placing an order through the www.gyrotech.co.nz
> site about "Talk IT Ltd, formerly Gyrotech 2004 Ltd", there is no
> company registered as "Talk IT Ltd".
>
> So who owns the gyrotech domain? Apparently Gyrotech Ltd, which, of
> course, is in liquidation.
>
> So, if they are still going, who would you be giving your money and/or
> Credit Card number to? Gyrotech Ltd, a struck off company that still
> appears to own the domain, Gyrotech (2004) Ltd, or Talk IT Ltd, the
> one that their site says is the one, but that doesn't exist?
>
> Your guess is as good as mine.
>
> Perhaps the OP could comment on why they said they have gone belly-up.
> Did they have a retail outlet that has closed down?

Just a flatmates mate mentioned it to us. Said it wasnt Gyrotech where
Gyrotech used to be but some other shoddy lookin setup and that their
website had almost no products at all to choose from. Apparently it has
been like this for some time.
We normally get our goodies from PP Ascent or Starlyte and noticed the
message on Starlytes website.

Sharknwfk

".exe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Starlyte here in Wellington, and also Gyrotech it seems.
>
> these 2 used to always be mentioned on pricespy. Looks like they cut
> their own throats.
>
> Anybody know of any others ?

Not possible. Computer sellers don't disappear until NZ PC World makes them
Computer shop of the year!

--
Sharknwfk

online computer shops rema.khan Python 0 05-21-2008 06:13 AM
Call Shops (taxiphone) have now their open source software with *starShop and Asterisk *boss VOIP 0 08-30-2005 05:15 PM
When they're gone, they could be gone for good... Richard DVD Video 10 06-02-2004 07:13 AM
Know any good Binoculars shops in/near LONDON, UK? (for quality binoculars) Shiperton Henethe Digital Photography 37 08-18-2003 12:50 PM
Q Price of MS Pro in SHOPS? Shaw Goh \(NetPlus Micro Computers\) Digital Photography 1 07-14-2003 03:49 AM

Advertisments