Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Basic Computer

Basic Computer

Phil

I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use it
for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital photos.

I have fond this one at dse, which looks to be quite good value and
upgradable, plus allows me to install a AGP video card that I have got
laying around

http://tinyurl.com/4z73q

Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.

TIA

thing

Phil wrote:
> I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use it
> for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital photos.
>
> I have fond this one at dse, which looks to be quite good value and
> upgradable, plus allows me to install a AGP video card that I have got
> laying around
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4z73q
>
> Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.
>
> TIA

Yes, I like Acer.

But, I would suggest a G3 iMAC, easy to use, pretty invunerable to
exploits and web nasties, ideal for people new to the net. Even a
$500~600 one on trademe would have enough go for what you want in this
instance.

regards

Thing

Geronimo

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 17:06:14 +1300, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Phil wrote:
>> I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use it
>> for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital photos.
>>
>> I have fond this one at dse, which looks to be quite good value and
>> upgradable, plus allows me to install a AGP video card that I have got
>> laying around
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/4z73q
>>
>> Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.
>>
>> TIA

>Yes, I like Acer.
>
>But, I would suggest a G3 iMAC, easy to use, pretty invunerable to
>exploits and web nasties, ideal for people new to the net. Even a
>$500~600 one on trademe would have enough go for what you want in this
>instance.
>
>regards
>
>Thing

And not supported at all, You are Joking.,.

Hmmm

Phil wrote:
> I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use it
> for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital photos.
>
> I have fond this one at dse, which looks to be quite good value and
> upgradable, plus allows me to install a AGP video card that I have got
> laying around
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4z73q
>
> Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.
>
> TIA

This is far better value, cheaper and better in every area..
http://www.edenonline.co.nz/pk.aspx?1004

Phil

"Hmmm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:418b0a33$1_2@127.0.0.1...
> Phil wrote:
> > I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use

it
> > for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital

photos.

> > I have fond this one at dse, which looks to be quite good value and
> > upgradable, plus allows me to install a AGP video card that I have got
> > laying around
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/4z73q
> >
> > Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.
> >
> > TIA
> >

> This is far better value, cheaper and better in every area..
> http://www.edenonline.co.nz/pk.aspx?1004

Thanks for that, it does look like far better specs. I am in Wellington, so
buying from an Auckland shop isn't the best idea, at least with the ACER it
does come with a onsite warranty when something goes wrong with something.

Hmmm

Phil wrote:
> "Hmmm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:418b0a33$1_2@127.0.0.1...
>
>>Phil wrote:
>>
>>>I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use

> it
>
>>>for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital

> photos.
>
>>>I have fond this one at dse, which looks to be quite good value and
>>>upgradable, plus allows me to install a AGP video card that I have got
>>>laying around
>>>
>>>http://tinyurl.com/4z73q
>>>
>>>Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>

>>This is far better value, cheaper and better in every area..
>>http://www.edenonline.co.nz/pk.aspx?1004

> Thanks for that, it does look like far better specs. I am in Wellington, so
> buying from an Auckland shop isn't the best idea, at least with the ACER it
> does come with a onsite warranty when something goes wrong with something.

Ahh ok, you might want to hunt around because you will get deals like
above in some local pc store in wellington also fair enough if you are
after that extra peace of mind with onsite warranty etc.. but you should
still shop around a bit, you can probably save yourself a fair amount
of $$ and get a better system...

good luck!

Daniel

Phil wrote:
> I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use it
> for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital photos.
>
> I have fond this one at dse, which looks to be quite good value and
> upgradable, plus allows me to install a AGP video card that I have got
> laying around
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4z73q
>
> Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.
>
> TIA

DSE deal looks good.

If it's in your budget pay the $120 to extend the manufacturers warranty for
another 2 years (3 yr warranty).

Acer have certainly improved over the years. Really good thing about the Acers
is that you can upgrade without voiding the hardware warranty (unlike Compaq/HP).
So, installing that AGP card yourself will be fine.

However, keep in mind that the T310s only have a 200W (that's right - 200W) PSU.
So, installing anything gruntier than an FX5200, or 9200 might be a tad risky.

Lastly, always remember to compare apples with apples when looking at some of
these so-called cheaper deals. You'll find that when you add in the *legal*
software components, that the Dells/Compaqs/HPs/Acers really are competitive.

Patrick Dunford

In article <418b0a33$1_2@127.0.0.1> in nz.comp on Fri, 05 Nov 2004
18:15:30 +1300, Hmmm <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Phil wrote:
> > I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use it
> > for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital photos.
> >
> > I have fond this one at dse, which looks to be quite good value and
> > upgradable, plus allows me to install a AGP video card that I have got
> > laying around
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/4z73q
> >
> > Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.
> >
> > TIA
> >

> This is far better value, cheaper and better in every area..
> http://www.edenonline.co.nz/pk.aspx?1004

Ah, don't think so
"Samsung Black 16x52x32x52 DVD/CDRW combo"

EMB

Hmmm wrote:

> This is far better value, cheaper and better in every area..
> http://www.edenonline.co.nz/pk.aspx?1004

Ok... $888+GST + an OS is cheaper than $920 all up like how? I did the
same hunt when I saw the original post, and for what it's expected to do
the Acer is good value.

--
EMB

Patrick Dunford

In article <418b0a33$1_2@127.0.0.1> in nz.comp on Fri, 05 Nov 2004
18:15:30 +1300, Hmmm <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Phil wrote:
> > I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use it
> > for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital photos.
> >
> > I have fond this one at dse, which looks to be quite good value and
> > upgradable, plus allows me to install a AGP video card that I have got
> > laying around
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/4z73q
> >
> > Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.
> >
> > TIA
> >

> This is far better value, cheaper and better in every area..
> http://www.edenonline.co.nz/pk.aspx?1004

Strange, doesn't seem to include an operating system...
And the Acer onsite warranty is hard to beat