Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > IBM Thinkpad 2611 Keyboard wanted

IBM Thinkpad 2611 Keyboard wanted

Justin

In a moment of carelessness I managed to tear the ribbon cable for the
mouse functions of an IBM Thinkpad Type 2611.

IBM support is hopeless. (Press 1 for get lost in menus, Press 2 for
instant insanity, .....)

Anyone have a Thinkpad they are wrecking and want some dosh for a
working keyboard.

Email to unmunged address or post replys here.

Regards

Justin

Don Hills

In article <l0wid.29493$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Justin <(E-Mail Removed)4free.co.nz> wrote:

>IBM support is hopeless. (Press 1 for get lost in menus, Press 2 for
>instant insanity, .....)

When I last did it (a couple of years ago), the correct procedure for NZ was
to phone the main IBM number and ask to be put through to the "Maintenance
Parts Centre". They sell direct to the public (credit card purchase). The
cost will likely be quite reasonable, I recall a keyboard for an old TP760
was about $150. You will need to know the FRU (Field Replaceable Unit)
(part) number. It is likely on the bottom of the keyboard, or you can find
it on IBM's Web site - find your way to the PC support page, enter the
type-model number (2611-xxx) and select the parts documentation.

It's ironic that people who are too smart to engage in politics
are governed by people who are not as smart.

Justin

Thanks Don. I'll give that a go.

Regards

Justin

Don Hills wrote:
> In article <l0wid.29493$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Justin <(E-Mail Removed)4free.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>IBM support is hopeless. (Press 1 for get lost in menus, Press 2 for
>>instant insanity, .....)

> When I last did it (a couple of years ago), the correct procedure for NZ was
> to phone the main IBM number and ask to be put through to the "Maintenance
> Parts Centre". They sell direct to the public (credit card purchase). The
> cost will likely be quite reasonable, I recall a keyboard for an old TP760
> was about $150. You will need to know the FRU (Field Replaceable Unit)
> (part) number. It is likely on the bottom of the keyboard, or you can find
> it on IBM's Web site - find your way to the PC support page, enter the
> type-model number (2611-xxx) and select the parts documentation.

Justin

Shock horror. Phone call from IBM in response to an email sent last
week asking for the keyboard.

Price is $216 !!! What a bloody ripoff considering a similar Toshiba
replacement keyboard can be had for around $70 - 80.

Regards

Justin

Don Hills wrote:
> In article <l0wid.29493$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Justin <(E-Mail Removed)4free.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>IBM support is hopeless. (Press 1 for get lost in menus, Press 2 for
>>instant insanity, .....)

> When I last did it (a couple of years ago), the correct procedure for NZ was
> to phone the main IBM number and ask to be put through to the "Maintenance
> Parts Centre". They sell direct to the public (credit card purchase). The
> cost will likely be quite reasonable, I recall a keyboard for an old TP760
> was about $150. You will need to know the FRU (Field Replaceable Unit)
> (part) number. It is likely on the bottom of the keyboard, or you can find
> it on IBM's Web site - find your way to the PC support page, enter the
> type-model number (2611-xxx) and select the parts documentation.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Justin wrote:
> Price is $216 !!! What a bloody ripoff considering a similar Toshiba
> replacement keyboard can be had for around $70 - 80.

heh, but you need it, so what choice do you have?
practically none.

Get a toshiba next time.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Steve

Justin wrote:
> Shock horror. Phone call from IBM in response to an email sent last
> week asking for the keyboard.
>
> Price is $216 !!! What a bloody ripoff considering a similar Toshiba
> replacement keyboard can be had for around $70 - 80.

I don't think it'll fit, though (: