Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > quick and dirty registry search and replace? VB?

Reply
Thread Tools

quick and dirty registry search and replace? VB?

 
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2004
Anyone got a pice of VB or similar to a search and replace of HKLU.

We've Had a change in servers, and some(very few, but still enough to
annoy me) of the staff have got a few issues where their PCs dont appear
to be paying attention to the new policies(based on their groups in AD),
as to where their "my documents" and a few other things are stored.

I've found that by doing a manual search and replace of the old for the
new server names in regedit, all is fine once more, but I was wondering
if anyone has made a piece of VB for doing this sort of thing or similar
that I could rip apart and modify?

I've googled for it, but I dont really know where to start.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz
http://www.karyn.net.nz
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2004
Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Anyone got a pice of VB or similar to a search and replace of HKLU.
> I've googled for it, but I dont really know where to start.


Found one.

http://windows.oreilly.com/news/win2...1.html#regfind

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz
http://www.karyn.net.nz
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2004
Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>> Anyone got a pice of VB or similar to a search and replace of HKLU.
>> I've googled for it, but I dont really know where to start.


> Found one.
> http://windows.oreilly.com/news/win2...1.html#regfind


This being the string I am using.
\\chatto\netlogon\Regfind.exe -p HKEY_CURRENT_USER -y \\kiwi -r \\dnfile01
well, and this.
\\chatto\netlogon\Regfind.exe -p HKEY_CURRENT_USER -y \\kiwi -r \\dnfile02

just in .bat files heh.
--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz
http://www.karyn.net.nz
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mr Scebe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2004

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone got a pice of VB or similar to a search and replace of HKLU.
>
> We've Had a change in servers, and some(very few, but still enough to
> annoy me) of the staff have got a few issues where their PCs dont appear
> to be paying attention to the new policies(based on their groups in AD),
> as to where their "my documents" and a few other things are stored.


Have you tried to isolate what is causing it? Did you run a gpupdate /force
to ensure that they are getting the latest policy? If you are running 2k3
then you may want to try GPMC - it's pretty good at working through policy
anomalies. You can download it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

If you're still looking for scripts, i may have one, but you can also try
cwashington.netreach.net There is quite a lot of good stuff on there.

Cheers

--
Mr Scebe
Losersh always whine about their 'besht'.
Winnersh go home and **** the prom queen".
~Sean Connery in "The Rock"



 
Reply With Quote
 
Fishb8
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2004
Hi Dave - I've got fridge full of VBs, but I'm doing a low-level purge to
eliminate them.
Roy
"Mr Scebe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsEiid.3103$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Anyone got a pice of VB or similar to a search and replace of HKLU.
>>
>> We've Had a change in servers, and some(very few, but still enough to
>> annoy me) of the staff have got a few issues where their PCs dont appear
>> to be paying attention to the new policies(based on their groups in AD),
>> as to where their "my documents" and a few other things are stored.

>
> Have you tried to isolate what is causing it? Did you run a gpupdate
> /force
> to ensure that they are getting the latest policy? If you are running 2k3
> then you may want to try GPMC - it's pretty good at working through policy
> anomalies. You can download it here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
>
> If you're still looking for scripts, i may have one, but you can also try
> cwashington.netreach.net There is quite a lot of good stuff on there.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Mr Scebe
> Losersh always whine about their 'besht'.
> Winnersh go home and **** the prom queen".
> ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Patrick Dunford
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2004
Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Anyone got a pice of VB or similar to a search and replace of HKLU.
>
> We've Had a change in servers, and some(very few, but still enough to
> annoy me) of the staff have got a few issues where their PCs dont appear
> to be paying attention to the new policies(based on their groups in AD),
> as to where their "my documents" and a few other things are stored.
>
> I've found that by doing a manual search and replace of the old for the
> new server names in regedit, all is fine once more, but I was wondering
> if anyone has made a piece of VB for doing this sort of thing or similar
> that I could rip apart and modify?
>
> I've googled for it, but I dont really know where to start.
>

All you need is a registry file to import.

You should be able to load it in a logon script.

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders]
"Personal"="H:\\.profile\\My Documents"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders]
"Personal"="H:\\.profile\\My Documents"

This changes the My Documents folder path.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2004
Mr Scebe wrote:
> Have you tried to isolate what is causing it?


most of the users that it is affecting are offsite, on slow(molasis on a
cold day slow) links, this appears to be the only thing that ~90% of
them have in common.

> Did you run a gpupdate /force
> to ensure that they are getting the latest policy?


yes, it didn't appear to work on all of the offsite machines, but does
on the test machines here.

> If you are running 2k3
> then you may want to try GPMC - it's pretty good at working through policy
> anomalies. You can download it here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en


not using 2k3 yet... well, we are for some file servers, but nothing
'critical' yet.

> If you're still looking for scripts, i may have one, but you can also try
> cwashington.netreach.net There is quite a lot of good stuff on there.


nope, found one, well, found an exe provided by MS, and batch filed my
way through the automation of it

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz
http://www.karyn.net.nz
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2004
Fishb8 wrote:
> Hi Dave - I've got fridge full of VBs, but I'm doing a low-level purge to
> eliminate them.


I really hope you mean tipping them down the drain.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz
http://www.karyn.net.nz
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2004
Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>> If you are running 2k3
>> then you may want to try GPMC - it's pretty good at working through
>> policy
>> anomalies. You can download it here:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
>>

>
>
> not using 2k3 yet... well, we are for some file servers, but nothing
> 'critical' yet.


GPMC will actually work on any version of the AD. Just that the tool
needs to be run on a Win2k3 or WinXP machine

Cheers
Nathan
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2004
Nathan Mercer wrote:
>>> If you are running 2k3
>>> then you may want to try GPMC - it's pretty good at working through
>>> policy
>>> anomalies. You can download it here:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en


>> not using 2k3 yet... well, we are for some file servers, but nothing
>> 'critical' yet.


> GPMC will actually work on any version of the AD. Just that the tool
> needs to be run on a Win2k3 or WinXP machine


ahh, well, dont have XP pn my work machine yet, will shortly, getting
another new PC for some reason.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz
http://www.karyn.net.nz
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RE: Quick and dirty dialogs? Robert Brewer Python 3 05-02-2005 09:58 PM
Quick and dirty dialogs? andy@andybak.net Python 1 05-02-2005 06:53 PM
Quick and dirty C++ managed memory countzero C++ 6 03-11-2005 02:11 PM
DVD Verdict reviews: THE QUICK AND DIRTY GUIDE TO SALSA: PART ONE -- BEGINNERS and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 07-21-2004 09:13 AM
Olympus C720 - Quick & dirty and cheap wide angle solution? G. de Haan Digital Photography 1 08-01-2003 05:20 PM



Advertisments