Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Thunderbird and RSS

Thunderbird and RSS

Patrick Dunford

According to Tbird 0.8 docs it is only possible to have one RSS feed. Is
this correct?

I currently have three and no apparent limit. This may be because I
installed the Forumzilla extension on Tb 0.7x previously and this
appears to be the extension now incorporated into Tb. There is no such
arbitrary limit in Forumzilla.

Collector»NZ

Patrick Dunford said the following on 4/11/2004 09:48:
> According to Tbird 0.8 docs it is only possible to have one RSS feed. Is
> this correct?
>
> I currently have three and no apparent limit. This may be because I
> installed the Forumzilla extension on Tb 0.7x previously and this
> appears to be the extension now incorporated into Tb. There is no such
> arbitrary limit in Forumzilla.

Are you refering to the live bookmarks or a full RSS page feed?

Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E | |
A lie can travel halfway around the world
while the truth is putting on its shoes.-Mark Twain

Collector»NZ

Patrick Dunford said the following on 4/11/2004 09:48:
> According to Tbird 0.8 docs it is only possible to have one RSS feed. Is
> this correct?
>
> I currently have three and no apparent limit. This may be because I
> installed the Forumzilla extension on Tb 0.7x previously and this
> appears to be the extension now incorporated into Tb. There is no such
> arbitrary limit in Forumzilla.

Opps need my reading glasses ignore my question Pattrick

Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E | |
A lie can travel halfway around the world
while the truth is putting on its shoes.-Mark Twain

joe_90

Patrick Dunford wrote:
> According to Tbird 0.8 docs it is only possible to have one RSS feed. Is
> this correct?

I don't know where you get this idea from - it would have been useful if
you had specified your source.

According to the official Mozilla Thunderbird help page -

( http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/ )

"Users can set up an RSS News & Blogs account (from File > New >
Account...) and then subscribe to feeds from their favourite news sites
and weblogs. Each feed appears as a folder with each individual item
appearing as a message."

You have to be careful with terminology here. In the case of
Thunderbird, you have two distinct concepts -

- an RSS News & Blogs 'account' and
- one or more RSS 'feeds'

An RSS News & Blogs 'account' is a repository for one or more 'feeds'.

You ask if it is possible to have more than one 'feed' (which, of
course, it is) when I think you mean to ask is it possible to have more
than one 'account'. The latter is an interesting question which is not
explicitly stated in the documentation.

I have not tried to create multiple RSS accounts, mainly because I see
no reason to do so. I think it is more logical to have a single top
level RSS account and create sub folders for each category of RSS feed
to which you subscribe.

HTH.

Patrick Dunford

In article <SOgid.3054$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Thu, 04
Nov 2004 15:51:29 +1300, joe_90 <joe_90@invalid_address.com> says...
> Patrick Dunford wrote:
> > According to Tbird 0.8 docs it is only possible to have one RSS feed. Is
> > this correct?

> I don't know where you get this idea from - it would have been useful if
> you had specified your source.
>
> According to the official Mozilla Thunderbird help page -
>
> ( http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/ )
>
> "Users can set up an RSS News & Blogs account (from File > New >
> Account...) and then subscribe to feeds from their favourite news sites
> and weblogs. Each feed appears as a folder with each individual item
> appearing as a message."

Someone else previously commented on being able to create only one feed,
which I thought was a bit odd, until I saw this on mozilla:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/thun...es.html#issues

"You cannot create more than one RSS account via the Account Manager."

Which I presume means an RSS connection.

> You have to be careful with terminology here. In the case of
> Thunderbird, you have two distinct concepts -
>
> - an RSS News & Blogs 'account' and
> - one or more RSS 'feeds'
>
> An RSS News & Blogs 'account' is a repository for one or more 'feeds'.

> You ask if it is possible to have more than one 'feed' (which, of
> course, it is) when I think you mean to ask is it possible to have more
> than one 'account'. The latter is an interesting question which is not
> explicitly stated in the documentation.

No I mean is it possible to have more than one feed. I was under this
impression because of a comment made by someone else that you could only
have the one feed.

joe_90

Patrick Dunford wrote:
> In article <SOgid.3054$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Thu, 04
> Nov 2004 15:51:29 +1300, joe_90 <joe_90@invalid_address.com> says...
>
>>Patrick Dunford wrote:
>>
>>>According to Tbird 0.8 docs it is only possible to have one RSS feed. Is
>>>this correct?

>>I don't know where you get this idea from - it would have been useful if
>>you had specified your source.
>>
>>According to the official Mozilla Thunderbird help page -
>>
>>( http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/ )
>>
>>"Users can set up an RSS News & Blogs account (from File > New >
>>Account...) and then subscribe to feeds from their favourite news sites
>>and weblogs. Each feed appears as a folder with each individual item
>>appearing as a message."

> Someone else previously commented on being able to create only one feed,
> which I thought was a bit odd, until I saw this on mozilla:
> http://www.mozilla.org/products/thun...es.html#issues
>
> "You cannot create more than one RSS account via the Account Manager."
>
> Which I presume means an RSS connection.

So now you introduce a new undefined term 'RSS connection' which just
confuses the situation.

The issue you quote from the 0.8 release notes clearly says 'account',
so the problem is with multiple accounts NOT multiple feeds.

>>You have to be careful with terminology here. In the case of
>>Thunderbird, you have two distinct concepts -
>>
>> - an RSS News & Blogs 'account' and
>> - one or more RSS 'feeds'
>>
>>An RSS News & Blogs 'account' is a repository for one or more 'feeds'.

>>You ask if it is possible to have more than one 'feed' (which, of
>>course, it is) when I think you mean to ask is it possible to have more
>>than one 'account'. The latter is an interesting question which is not
>>explicitly stated in the documentation.

> No I mean is it possible to have more than one feed. I was under this
> impression because of a comment made by someone else that you could only
> have the one feed.

Well I assume you know the answer now.