Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > webcam software recomendations

webcam software recomendations

Man in Yellow Hat

Hello

I am wanting webcam software that sends a picture via http instead of
ftp (to get past a firewall). Is their such a thing?

TIA

Bruce Knox

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:15:43 +1300, Man in Yellow Hat
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello
>
>I am wanting webcam software that sends a picture via http instead of
>ftp (to get past a firewall). Is their such a thing?
>
>TIA

Can you 'push' http??
I thought it was a pull only technology while ftp can do either. If
you want to pull the picture via http then any simple web server
software will allow that.

Bruce.
http://www.baggins.co.nz.nz

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on
Wed, 03 Nov 2004 22:02:25 +1300, Bruce Knox <(E-Mail Removed)>
says...
> On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:15:43 +1300, Man in Yellow Hat
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hello
> >
> >I am wanting webcam software that sends a picture via http instead of
> >ftp (to get past a firewall). Is their such a thing?
> >
> >TIA

> Can you 'push' http??
> I thought it was a pull only technology while ftp can do either. If
> you want to pull the picture via http then any simple web server
> software will allow that.

HTTP uploading is possible, if there is server support for it. However
you could find that it's blocked by a server as well.

Specifically, PHP and probably other scripting languages will support
HTTP uploading, which is often used instead of FTP with free website
hosts like Geocities. If a script receives input from a form that
contains a "file" type of input, then the file is automatically uploaded
and placed in a temporary folder on the server before the script is
invoked to process the file.

You can achieve the same sort of thing in an application by sending PUT
or POST requests to an HTTP server using a script url as the target, and
specifying the local filename path or whatever form the file has to be
in.

Waylon Kenning

It seems like Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:15:43 +1300 was when Man in Yellow
Hat <(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...

>Hello
>
>I am wanting webcam software that sends a picture via http instead of
>ftp (to get past a firewall). Is their such a thing?
>
>TIA

That may be harder to do. From my knowledge, you can't connect to a
HTTP server in a normal way and post something, there needs to be a
form on the webpage to accept the file, then post it, and the server
will need like php or asp or perl or whatever to parse the form and
actually save it to a directory and it's a lot of hassle.

Depends, how bad do you really want this picture on the internet?
Because I believe it'll be very difficult to do via HTTP. Have you
tried asking your network administrator to allow FTP? I mean, it's a
fairly important and basic protocol on the internet.
--
Regards,
Waylon Kenning.

1st Year B.I.T. WelTec