Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Zealots. - rant.

Zealots. - rant.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Man they are a pain in the arse.

I setup Gentoo the other day, compiled it all(~26 hrs) got it all setup
how I liked, well, functional, and while at lunch, the guy who "helped"
me get it all up and running, messed with it all, what a pain in the
****ing arse.

Apparently I had chosen the wrong "Icon set", the wrong "colour scheme"
and a few other things... I stopped listening at that point.

He just didn't seem to understand that icon sets and colour schemes just
dont matter to me, even when I showed him my windows desktop, he wanted
to change it, FFS, he deserved the beating I wanted to give him for
changing things.

/rant

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Chris Hope

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Man they are a pain in the arse.
>
> I setup Gentoo the other day, compiled it all(~26 hrs) got it all setup
> how I liked, well, functional, and while at lunch, the guy who "helped"
> me get it all up and running, messed with it all, what a pain in the
> ****ing arse.
>
> Apparently I had chosen the wrong "Icon set", the wrong "colour scheme"
> and a few other things... I stopped listening at that point.
>
> He just didn't seem to understand that icon sets and colour schemes just
> dont matter to me, even when I showed him my windows desktop, he wanted
> to change it, FFS, he deserved the beating I wanted to give him for
> changing things.

What an ass - how can you choose the wrong icon set or colour scheme if it's
the one you like?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Chris Hope wrote:
>>Man they are a pain in the arse.
>>Apparently I had chosen the wrong "Icon set", the wrong "colour scheme"
>>and a few other things... I stopped listening at that point.

> What an ass - how can you choose the wrong icon set or colour scheme if it's
> the one you like?

the funny thing is, I dont like it, or the one he chose, but it'll do
untill I find a better one or figure out how to change it to something else.
they're only icons, Mr high and ****ing mighty... gah, I need to relax.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Chris Hope

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Chris Hope wrote:
>>>Man they are a pain in the arse.
>>>Apparently I had chosen the wrong "Icon set", the wrong "colour scheme"
>>>and a few other things... I stopped listening at that point.

>> What an ass - how can you choose the wrong icon set or colour scheme if
>> it's the one you like?

> the funny thing is, I dont like it, or the one he chose, but it'll do
> untill I find a better one or figure out how to change it to something
> else. they're only icons, Mr high and ****ing mighty... gah, I need to
> relax.

I like the Plastik theme in KDE myself. If you want to play around with them
go to "Control Center" from the K-menu and open up the "Appearance and
Themes" option; the ones you want to play with are under "Style" and
"Window Decorations". You can mess around with the "Theme Manager" as well
but I've bother trying that out. There aren't too many themes installed
with Gentoo but you can at least have a play around with them.

AD.

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 15:31:56 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Man they are a pain in the arse.

He's probably a member of a militant feng shui fundamentalist group.

Your icons were probably disrupting his energy flow.

Better make sure the furniture is still where you left it, but don't
annoy him - he might subtly rearrange the furniture to drain your bank
account and leave you impotent

Cheers
Anton

Rider

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Man they are a pain in the arse.
>
> I setup Gentoo the other day, compiled it all(~26 hrs) got it all setup
> how I liked, well, functional, and while at lunch, the guy who "helped" me
> get it all up and running, messed with it all, what a pain in the ****ing
> arse.
>
> Apparently I had chosen the wrong "Icon set", the wrong "colour scheme"
> and a few other things... I stopped listening at that point.
>
> He just didn't seem to understand that icon sets and colour schemes just
> dont matter to me, even when I showed him my windows desktop, he wanted to
> change it, FFS, he deserved the beating I wanted to give him for changing
> things.
>
> /rant

Were you not aware that different colours and the icon set completely change
the way the system operates? Did he call you a n00b as well? LoL

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Rider wrote:
> Were you not aware that different colours and the icon set completely change
> the way the system operates?

I assume you're joking, god I hope you're joking, tell me you're joking.

> Did he call you a n00b as well? LoL

nah, Im bigger than him, he sat down and did work related work rather
than ****ing about with my machine.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Rider

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rider wrote:
>> Were you not aware that different colours and the icon set completely
>> change the way the system operates?

> I assume you're joking, god I hope you're joking, tell me you're joking.
>
>> Did he call you a n00b as well? LoL

> nah, Im bigger than him, he sat down and did work related work rather than
> ****ing about with my machine.

I had someone fiddle with my pc at work a few years ago. So while he was out
one day I took a screenshot of his desktop, then made it his wallpaper and
deleted all his icons. Took him ages to figure out why none of his programs
would work

Rider

Collector»NZ

Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 2/11/2004 15:31:
> Man they are a pain in the arse.
>
> I setup Gentoo the other day, compiled it all(~26 hrs) got it all setup
> how I liked, well, functional, and while at lunch, the guy who "helped"
> me get it all up and running, messed with it all, what a pain in the
> ****ing arse.
>
> Apparently I had chosen the wrong "Icon set", the wrong "colour scheme"
> and a few other things... I stopped listening at that point.
>
> He just didn't seem to understand that icon sets and colour schemes just
> dont matter to me, even when I showed him my windows desktop, he wanted
> to change it, FFS, he deserved the beating I wanted to give him for
> changing things.
>
> /rant

Three letters PFY

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10...04_episode_37/

--
RIP Harry no more posts from NIN

Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E | |

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Rider wrote:
>> Were you not aware that different colours and the icon set completely change
>> the way the system operates?

>I assume you're joking, god I hope you're joking, tell me you're joking.
>
>> Did he call you a n00b as well? LoL

>nah, Im bigger than him, he sat down and did work related work rather
>than ****ing about with my machine.

My feeling is you need a new helper. The look/feel is (as you know ) very
personal. If he didn't likeit, well tuff. Not his machine

Bruce

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals
dying of nothing.

-Redd Foxx

(if there were any)