Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Leadtek deluxe tv tuner card

Leadtek deluxe tv tuner card

Warwick

Hi,
I bought one of these beasties on recommendation. Apparently it is a
popular card.

Mine dont work tho. Can't even install the bugger.

I have taken the issue up with leadtek directly, they have promised support
but man are they dragging the chain. 6 days and we have just managed to
determine what model it is I have, nevermind determining the problem, never
mind a solution.

Knowing the collective wisdom of this group and its willingness to help put
many corporations support desks to shame, I am going to pose the question
here.

The instructions are to install the card, on power up dismiss the windows
found new hardware wizard. Run their own installation program on the cd
provided.

Mine wont run. The install shield progress bar comes up and completes then
I get a modal type window (ie has focus until it is dealt with). The
caption is 'Warning'. The message is 'Not supported! -' and there is one
button marked ok. Either pushing ok or closing the window produce the same
behaviour - which is to stop the install dead in its tracks.

It is difficult to tell what threw the exception, the dialog has no icon in
the caption, it just says 'Warning'. Any advice would be most welcome.

cheers

Hmmm

Warwick wrote:
> Hi,
> I bought one of these beasties on recommendation. Apparently it is a
> popular card.
>
> Mine dont work tho. Can't even install the bugger.
>
> I have taken the issue up with leadtek directly, they have promised support
> but man are they dragging the chain. 6 days and we have just managed to
> determine what model it is I have, nevermind determining the problem, never
> mind a solution.
>
> Knowing the collective wisdom of this group and its willingness to help put
> many corporations support desks to shame, I am going to pose the question
> here.
>
> The instructions are to install the card, on power up dismiss the windows
> found new hardware wizard. Run their own installation program on the cd
> provided.
>
> Mine wont run. The install shield progress bar comes up and completes then
> I get a modal type window (ie has focus until it is dealt with). The
> caption is 'Warning'. The message is 'Not supported! -' and there is one
> button marked ok. Either pushing ok or closing the window produce the same
> behaviour - which is to stop the install dead in its tracks.
>
> It is difficult to tell what threw the exception, the dialog has no icon in
> the caption, it just says 'Warning'. Any advice would be most welcome.
>

> cheers

See if you can install the drivers manually, check the cd see if there
is a drivers directory and see if there is a drivers directory for your
windows version. (is your windows version supported?)

if there is then go to control panel, system, hardware, device manager,
and then click on the new hardware and try installing the drivers there
pointing at the driver directory.

Thats all i can think of.. nothing to lose

with lots of these types of devices, you have to install the drivers
first before you can install the actual software for them.

tatties

"Warwick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1e4jzaeswxee7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I bought one of these beasties on recommendation. Apparently it is a
> popular card.
>
> Mine dont work tho. Can't even install the bugger.
>
> I have taken the issue up with leadtek directly, they have promised
> support
> but man are they dragging the chain. 6 days and we have just managed to
> determine what model it is I have, nevermind determining the problem,
> never
> mind a solution.
>
> Knowing the collective wisdom of this group and its willingness to help
> put
> many corporations support desks to shame, I am going to pose the question
> here.
>
> The instructions are to install the card, on power up dismiss the windows
> found new hardware wizard. Run their own installation program on the cd
> provided.
>
> Mine wont run. The install shield progress bar comes up and completes then
> I get a modal type window (ie has focus until it is dealt with). The
> caption is 'Warning'. The message is 'Not supported! -' and there is one
> button marked ok. Either pushing ok or closing the window produce the same
> behaviour - which is to stop the install dead in its tracks.
>
> It is difficult to tell what threw the exception, the dialog has no icon
> in
> the caption, it just says 'Warning'. Any advice would be most welcome.
>

> cheers

Perhaps try downloading the latest drivers and software
http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/suppor...?downlineid=63

Software supplied on the CDs can sometimes be out of date and not supported
by the current Windows version

Collector>>NZ

Warwick wrote:

> Hi,
> I bought one of these beasties on recommendation. Apparently it is a
> popular card.
>
> Mine dont work tho. Can't even install the bugger.
>
> I have taken the issue up with leadtek directly, they have promised
> support but man are they dragging the chain. 6 days and we have just
> managed to determine what model it is I have, nevermind determining the
> problem, never mind a solution.
>
> Knowing the collective wisdom of this group and its willingness to help
> put many corporations support desks to shame, I am going to pose the
> question here.
>
> The instructions are to install the card, on power up dismiss the windows
> found new hardware wizard. Run their own installation program on the cd
> provided.
>
> Mine wont run. The install shield progress bar comes up and completes then
> I get a modal type window (ie has focus until it is dealt with). The
> caption is 'Warning'. The message is 'Not supported! -' and there is one
> button marked ok. Either pushing ok or closing the window produce the same
> behaviour - which is to stop the install dead in its tracks.
>
> It is difficult to tell what threw the exception, the dialog has no icon
> in the caption, it just says 'Warning'. Any advice would be most welcome.

Unually install CDS have a top-level setup program which runs some tests
to try and determine what os is running then run the appropriate installer
out of a sub-directory. The solution is to find the right sub-directory
yourself and run the setup.exe program therein.

Collector»NZ

Collector>>NZ said the following on 1/11/2004 19:23:
> Warwick wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>I bought one of these beasties on recommendation. Apparently it is a
>>popular card.
>>
>>Mine dont work tho. Can't even install the bugger.
>>
>>I have taken the issue up with leadtek directly, they have promised
>>support but man are they dragging the chain. 6 days and we have just
>>managed to determine what model it is I have, nevermind determining the
>>problem, never mind a solution.
>>
>>Knowing the collective wisdom of this group and its willingness to help
>>put many corporations support desks to shame, I am going to pose the
>>question here.
>>
>>The instructions are to install the card, on power up dismiss the windows
>>found new hardware wizard. Run their own installation program on the cd
>>provided.
>>
>>Mine wont run. The install shield progress bar comes up and completes then
>>I get a modal type window (ie has focus until it is dealt with). The
>>caption is 'Warning'. The message is 'Not supported! -' and there is one
>>button marked ok. Either pushing ok or closing the window produce the same
>>behaviour - which is to stop the install dead in its tracks.
>>
>>It is difficult to tell what threw the exception, the dialog has no icon
>>in the caption, it just says 'Warning'. Any advice would be most welcome.
>>

> Unually install CDS have a top-level setup program which runs some tests
> to try and determine what os is running then run the appropriate installer
> out of a sub-directory. The solution is to find the right sub-directory
> yourself and run the setup.exe program therein.

Hey Harry you **** wit you forgot to change your posting ID back from
the attempt you made to impersonate a post of mine.

--
He was so narrow-minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.
Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E | |

Collector

Collector»NZ wrote:

> Collector>>NZ said the following on 1/11/2004 19:23:
>> Warwick wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>I bought one of these beasties on recommendation. Apparently it is a
>>>popular card.
>>>
>>>Mine dont work tho. Can't even install the bugger.
>>>
>>>I have taken the issue up with leadtek directly, they have promised
>>>support but man are they dragging the chain. 6 days and we have just
>>>managed to determine what model it is I have, nevermind determining the
>>>problem, never mind a solution.
>>>
>>>Knowing the collective wisdom of this group and its willingness to help
>>>put many corporations support desks to shame, I am going to pose the
>>>question here.
>>>
>>>The instructions are to install the card, on power up dismiss the windows
>>>found new hardware wizard. Run their own installation program on the cd
>>>provided.
>>>
>>>Mine wont run. The install shield progress bar comes up and completes
>>>then I get a modal type window (ie has focus until it is dealt with). The
>>>caption is 'Warning'. The message is 'Not supported! -' and there is one
>>>button marked ok. Either pushing ok or closing the window produce the
>>>same behaviour - which is to stop the install dead in its tracks.
>>>
>>>It is difficult to tell what threw the exception, the dialog has no icon
>>>in the caption, it just says 'Warning'. Any advice would be most welcome.
>>>

>> Unually install CDS have a top-level setup program which runs some tests
>> to try and determine what os is running then run the appropriate
>> installer out of a sub-directory. The solution is to find the right
>> sub-directory yourself and run the setup.exe program therein.
>>

> Hey Harry you **** wit you forgot to change your posting ID back from
> the attempt you made to impersonate a post of mine.

My name is not Harry and I am not impersonating anyone.

Gurble

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 18:24:49 +1300, Warwick <(E-Mail Removed)> had this
to say:

>Hi,
>I bought one of these beasties on recommendation. Apparently it is a
>popular card.
>
>Mine dont work tho. Can't even install the bugger.
>
>I have taken the issue up with leadtek directly, they have promised support
>but man are they dragging the chain. 6 days and we have just managed to
>determine what model it is I have, nevermind determining the problem, never
>mind a solution.
>
>Knowing the collective wisdom of this group and its willingness to help put
>many corporations support desks to shame, I am going to pose the question
>here.
>
>The instructions are to install the card, on power up dismiss the windows
>found new hardware wizard. Run their own installation program on the cd
>provided.
>
>Mine wont run. The install shield progress bar comes up and completes then
>I get a modal type window (ie has focus until it is dealt with). The
>caption is 'Warning'. The message is 'Not supported! -' and there is one
>button marked ok. Either pushing ok or closing the window produce the same
>behaviour - which is to stop the install dead in its tracks.
>
>It is difficult to tell what threw the exception, the dialog has no icon in
>the caption, it just says 'Warning'. Any advice would be most welcome.

You most likely have the incorrect CD - I've seen this occur with a
Leadtek card once before. The CDs look the same, but one has an extra
wee logo, and Leadtek had put the wrong one in the box.

The one I saw had the drivers for the Leadtek USB solution, and spat
the same error.

Go and grab the drivers from:
http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/suppor...?downlineid=63

(Assuming a TV2000XP Deluxe).

HTH - let us know how you get on.

Steve Robertson

In article <1e4jzaeswxee7$(E-Mail Removed)>, Warwick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi,
>I bought one of these beasties on recommendation. Apparently it is a
>popular card.
>
>Mine dont work tho. Can't even install the bugger.

If all else fails get a Knoppix CD from Dick Smith
Its Linux that runs off the CD.(it wont install on your hard drive so its good
for testing harware)
If your card is OK it will work in Knoppix, at least then you can see if its
a faulty card or a Win/driver/software issue

Toxickiwi

For my TV Card I downloaded *new* drivers off there web site, also
when it find's new hardware you should be able to point it to the
drivers on the CD.

What OS & config do you have? If XP is SP2 installed?

Toxickiwi

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 18:24:49 +1300, Warwick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>I bought one of these beasties on recommendation. Apparently it is a
>popular card.
>
>Mine dont work tho. Can't even install the bugger.
>
>I have taken the issue up with leadtek directly, they have promised support
>but man are they dragging the chain. 6 days and we have just managed to
>determine what model it is I have, nevermind determining the problem, never
>mind a solution.
>
>Knowing the collective wisdom of this group and its willingness to help put
>many corporations support desks to shame, I am going to pose the question
>here.
>
>The instructions are to install the card, on power up dismiss the windows
>found new hardware wizard. Run their own installation program on the cd
>provided.
>
>Mine wont run. The install shield progress bar comes up and completes then
>I get a modal type window (ie has focus until it is dealt with). The
>caption is 'Warning'. The message is 'Not supported! -' and there is one
>button marked ok. Either pushing ok or closing the window produce the same
>behaviour - which is to stop the install dead in its tracks.
>
>It is difficult to tell what threw the exception, the dialog has no icon in
>the caption, it just says 'Warning'. Any advice would be most welcome.
>

>cheers

Andrei Sharko

There was a serious issue with Ledteak video cards - the drivers did to the
registry what Helen Clarke has been doing to the Economy. It even has its
own name as the "Leadtek Effect". Basically the hardware was ok but not the
software. This might still be the problem. The solution was to use
Nvidia's own drivers - but in the meantime it had disabled the PCI Slot.
The solution to that was a very - oh so many verys - deep registry dig that
I found in www.annoyances.org. My sugestion is that if it is possible use
different drivers on a different PCI slot.