Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Recommendations for P2P?

Recommendations for P2P?

Jonski

I've been doing the research and it's all just getting too hard.

What should I be thinking of using to enjoy the delights of P2P file
sharing?

There is so much contradictory info on the Interweb. edonkey,
limewire, bearshare, kazaa lite... spyware, adware, malware. Open,
closed and invitation-only networks. Firewall incompatibility, system
breaking, porn and corrupt-file containing, and trojan-installing.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Can someone please help me cut the crap and give me a clue???

And for RIANZ's information, I promise to be a good boy and only
download public-domain and copyright-free music.

Thanks so much in advance!
Jon

Geronimo

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:01:39 +1300, Jonski <!(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've been doing the research and it's all just getting too hard.
>
>What should I be thinking of using to enjoy the delights of P2P file
>sharing?
>
>There is so much contradictory info on the Interweb. edonkey,
>limewire, bearshare, kazaa lite... spyware, adware, malware. Open,
>closed and invitation-only networks. Firewall incompatibility, system
>breaking, porn and corrupt-file containing, and trojan-installing.
>Yadda, yadda, yadda.
>
>Can someone please help me cut the crap and give me a clue???
>
>And for RIANZ's information, I promise to be a good boy and only
>download public-domain and copyright-free music.
>
>Thanks so much in advance!
>Jon

eMULE or eDonkey They are now No.1

Craig Sutton

"Jonski" <!(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been doing the research and it's all just getting too hard.
>
> What should I be thinking of using to enjoy the delights of P2P file
> sharing?
>
> There is so much contradictory info on the Interweb. edonkey,
> limewire, bearshare, kazaa lite... spyware, adware, malware. Open,
> closed and invitation-only networks. Firewall incompatibility, system
> breaking, porn and corrupt-file containing, and trojan-installing.
> Yadda, yadda, yadda.
>
> Can someone please help me cut the crap and give me a clue???

WINMX is good
Bittorent
and Shareaza

Hmmm

Jonski wrote:
> I've been doing the research and it's all just getting too hard.
>
> What should I be thinking of using to enjoy the delights of P2P file
> sharing?
>
> There is so much contradictory info on the Interweb. edonkey,
> limewire, bearshare, kazaa lite... spyware, adware, malware. Open,
> closed and invitation-only networks. Firewall incompatibility, system
> breaking, porn and corrupt-file containing, and trojan-installing.
> Yadda, yadda, yadda.
>
> Can someone please help me cut the crap and give me a clue???
>
> And for RIANZ's information, I promise to be a good boy and only
> download public-domain and copyright-free music.
>
> Thanks so much in advance!
> Jon

WinMX - good for music
overnet/edonkey - good for everything
Bittorrent - awesome

with those 3 you can't go wrong.

Torrents are different to the rest as you cant search for things in a
torrent client, basically you go to websites and find something you want
and then click on a link and that tells your torrent client where to
connect to start getting that file.

The great thing about torrents is that you can click on one link and it
can get a whole bunch of files all in their directories etc.

best torrent clients are _azereus_ or abc or bit tornado

rumours have it that www.suprnova.org is a good place to find some nice
shareware torrents etc

also be aware that some people do put illegal "warez" on p2p networks,
dont be tempted!! this is very naughty!!

you should also get peerguardian.

Jonski

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:43:06 +1300, Hmmm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>you should also get peerguardian.

<google>
I see that this has been replace by protowall. www.bluetack.co.uk

Thanks for the suggestion, RIAA is not anyone's friend methinks.

Cheers
Jon

-[Myth]-

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:01:39 +1300, Jonski wrote:

> I've been doing the research and it's all just getting too hard.
>
> What should I be thinking of using to enjoy the delights of P2P file
> sharing?
>
> There is so much contradictory info on the Interweb. edonkey,
> limewire, bearshare, kazaa lite... spyware, adware, malware. Open,
> closed and invitation-only networks. Firewall incompatibility, system
> breaking, porn and corrupt-file containing, and trojan-installing.
> Yadda, yadda, yadda.
>
> Can someone please help me cut the crap and give me a clue???
>
> And for RIANZ's information, I promise to be a good boy and only
> download public-domain and copyright-free music.
>
> Thanks so much in advance!
> Jon

Hmm noone suggested DC++. So I will: http://dcplusplus.sf.net/
This is different from other p2p networks in that you connect to "hubs"
which are like IRC channels. Once connected to a hub you can chat with
everyone, search and download. Most hubs have only a small number of users
(700 - 6000) but because of the community orientated nature of the hubs,
these users share a great deal more than on most other networks (Some hubs
require up to 100GB of share before you can even enter). It is also
possible to create hubs that are geographically restricted, for example
dchub://silverserver.co.nz (which is restricted to NZ addresses only and
has no share requirement). On silverserver.co.nz there has never been any
problem with RIAA etc, because their bots can't connect, eliminating the
need for huge IP-Filter lists.

Hmmm

-[Myth]- wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:01:39 +1300, Jonski wrote:
>

>>I've been doing the research and it's all just getting too hard.
>>
>>What should I be thinking of using to enjoy the delights of P2P file
>>sharing?
>>
>>There is so much contradictory info on the Interweb. edonkey,
>>limewire, bearshare, kazaa lite... spyware, adware, malware. Open,
>>closed and invitation-only networks. Firewall incompatibility, system
>>breaking, porn and corrupt-file containing, and trojan-installing.
>>Yadda, yadda, yadda.
>>
>>Can someone please help me cut the crap and give me a clue???
>>
>>And for RIANZ's information, I promise to be a good boy and only
>>download public-domain and copyright-free music.
>>
>>Thanks so much in advance!
>>Jon

> Hmm noone suggested DC++. So I will: http://dcplusplus.sf.net/
> This is different from other p2p networks in that you connect to "hubs"
> which are like IRC channels. Once connected to a hub you can chat with
> everyone, search and download. Most hubs have only a small number of users
> (700 - 6000) but because of the community orientated nature of the hubs,
> these users share a great deal more than on most other networks (Some hubs
> require up to 100GB of share before you can even enter). It is also
> possible to create hubs that are geographically restricted, for example
> dchub://silverserver.co.nz (which is restricted to NZ addresses only and
> has no share requirement). On silverserver.co.nz there has never been any
> problem with RIAA etc, because their bots can't connect, eliminating the
> need for huge IP-Filter lists.

yep there's probably a reason no one mentioned it hehe

Dave - Dave.net.nz

-[Myth]- wrote:
> On silverserver.co.nz there has never been any
> problem with RIAA etc, because their bots can't connect, eliminating the
> need for huge IP-Filter lists.

I'd just like to clarify that point... there really should be a "yet" on
the end of that.
All they'de need is a ns based connection to proxy/port forward a
request to the silverserver hub... it's not rocket science.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>> On silverserver.co.nz there has never been any
>> problem with RIAA etc, because their bots can't connect, eliminating the
>> need for huge IP-Filter lists.

> I'd just like to clarify that point... there really should be a "yet" on
> the end of that.
> All they'de need is a ns based connection to proxy/port forward a
> request to the silverserver hub... it's not rocket science.

replace ns with NZ

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

-[Myth]-

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 09:37:12 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>>> On silverserver.co.nz there has never been any
>>> problem with RIAA etc, because their bots can't connect, eliminating the
>>> need for huge IP-Filter lists.

>> I'd just like to clarify that point... there really should be a "yet" on
>> the end of that.
>> All they'de need is a ns based connection to proxy/port forward a
>> request to the silverserver hub... it's not rocket science.

> replace ns with NZ

but what can they do about it if they find piracy.