Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Sharing an XP computer

Sharing an XP computer

Joy

I have to share my new one with hubby. It runs XP prof with two partitions,
one for os and programs and one for data.
Where do I put his data and my own and where does the shared lot go so that
when we log on as users we only get our own stuff and the shared stuff?

Also, since I'm retiring two old computers with about 10gigs of data on
each, is it better to transfer the harddrives to the new pc or just put a
backup of each, zipped on the new one?
Thanks for any help.
Joy

Andrew Bryson

"Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have to share my new one with hubby. It runs XP prof with two
>partitions,
> one for os and programs and one for data.
> Where do I put his data and my own and where does the shared lot go so
> that
> when we log on as users we only get our own stuff and the shared stuff?

If you each have your own login accounts you can just save in "My Documents"
once you are logged in and it will save the data in your own isolated "My
Documents" folder. This is usually in <root>\Documents and
Settings\<username>\My Documents although you can change this so that it
appears somewhere on your data partition if you wish.

> Also, since I'm retiring two old computers with about 10gigs of data on
> each, is it better to transfer the harddrives to the new pc or just put a
> backup of each, zipped on the new one?

It is entirely up to you. 10GB HDDs should be sufficiently fast that they
will not appreciably slow down the new computer. If it was me I would just
transfer the data.

Andrew

Joy

"Andrew Bryson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cm1294$utd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have to share my new one with hubby. It runs XP prof with two
> >partitions,
> > one for os and programs and one for data.
> > Where do I put his data and my own and where does the shared lot go so
> > that
> > when we log on as users we only get our own stuff and the shared stuff?

> If you each have your own login accounts you can just save in "My

Documents"
> once you are logged in and it will save the data in your own isolated "My
> Documents" folder. This is usually in <root>\Documents and
> Settings\<username>\My Documents although you can change this so that it
> appears somewhere on your data partition if you wish.

All those My Doc settings are in the smallish os partition, how do I change
that so that the data is kept on the next bigger partition? Do I transfer My
Doc to the other one or what?
Thanks for your help

Andrew Bryson

"Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> All those My Doc settings are in the smallish os partition, how do I
> change
> that so that the data is kept on the next bigger partition? Do I transfer
> My
> Doc to the other one or what?

Right-click on "My Documents", click on properties, click on Move... You
should make sure that each user has permission to read and write the
directories that you assign to them before doing this.

Andrew Bryson
http://www.bryson.co.nz

-[Myth]-

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 11:06:21 +1300, Joy wrote:

> "Andrew Bryson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cm1294$utd$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have to share my new one with hubby. It runs XP prof with two
>>>partitions,
>>> one for os and programs and one for data.
>>> Where do I put his data and my own and where does the shared lot go so
>>> that
>>> when we log on as users we only get our own stuff and the shared stuff?

>> If you each have your own login accounts you can just save in "My

> Documents"
>> once you are logged in and it will save the data in your own isolated "My
>> Documents" folder. This is usually in <root>\Documents and
>> Settings\<username>\My Documents although you can change this so that it
>> appears somewhere on your data partition if you wish.

> All those My Doc settings are in the smallish os partition, how do I change
> that so that the data is kept on the next bigger partition? Do I transfer My
> Doc to the other one or what?
> Thanks for your help

You will need to copy the "Documents and settings" folder to the other
drive, and change this registry key to reflect the changes, then delete the
original files:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Joy

"Andrew Bryson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cm14l4$jp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > All those My Doc settings are in the smallish os partition, how do I
> > change
> > that so that the data is kept on the next bigger partition? Do I

transfer
> > My
> > Doc to the other one or what?

> Right-click on "My Documents", click on properties, click on Move... You
> should make sure that each user has permission to read and write the
> directories that you assign to them before doing this.

I did the following, is that right?
I created two new folders in the date partition E drive, HIS and HERS whilst
logged on as admin and set these to read and write. I logged on as user in
each and set them there to read and write. Whilst in there, I moved each of
them to the new folder location using your above instructions so that the My
Doc data will be kept there. I can still see data when in either, so they
are not private, what did I do wrong there?

Also, the media files are kept in the media folder in c drive, I need to
move these to e drive and allow both of us to access them, but it seems I
don't understand the 'shared' bit yet.
Joy

Bok

Joy wrote:
> I did the following, is that right?
> I created two new folders in the date partition E drive, HIS and HERS whilst
> logged on as admin and set these to read and write. I logged on as user in
> each and set them there to read and write. Whilst in there, I moved each of
> them to the new folder location using your above instructions so that the My
> Doc data will be kept there. I can still see data when in either, so they
> are not private, what did I do wrong there?

Are you both adminstrators? If yes, then you can't really hide files
from one another, since an adminstrator can take ownership of folders
and files. If you want to restrict access to a folder for non
administrators, right click on the folder, select properties and go
security tab. Remove users and groups that you don't want to access the
folder and contents. Check permissions are as required.

> Also, the media files are kept in the media folder in c drive, I need to
> move these to e drive and allow both of us to access them, but it seems I
> don't understand the 'shared' bit yet.

There is a default 'Shared Documents' folder, which just points to the
'My documents' folder in the 'All Users' profile.

If you want to share a different folder on the e: drive, select the
folder and go to the security tab, then add the group Everyone.

HTH,,,,

Gordon

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:12:32 +1300, Joy wrote:

> I have to share my new one with hubby.

Congratulations! Also he should share.

Gordon

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:25:14 +1300, Joy wrote:

> I created two new folders in the date partition E drive, HIS and HERS whilst
> logged on as admin and set these to read and write. I logged on as user in
> each and set them there to read and write. Whilst in there, I moved each of
> them to the new folder location using your above instructions so that the My
> Doc data will be kept there. I can still see data when in either, so they
> are not private, what did I do wrong there?

hi, it is Ms Penguin here. May I suggest you take a basic course in file
permissions as it seems that MS has gotten this idea on board.

There are three groups, user, group, and the rest of the world (everyone
else). Group is a group of people eg the bean accounters in a business.
User is the owner of the file/directory.

the admin, i use the term root, is almighty. Her demands are met without
question.

Waht you want is for the user to be able to read, and write to the files
yes? (Note I have left exectuation out of this) Having, as admin given
write and read access to the said files. Ask the owner to log in and get
tuff and make them read them to no one else.

Or is MS still to get to grips with chown?

Off to catch some fish.

Joy

Thanks for all your help. I feel as though I'm getting it and it's really
not so difficult when you help like you do.

This might make you laugh, I tried moving windows office suite to the shared
folder and nothing worked so I put it back where I found it and everything
worked again. It took me an hour to find I could just copy the shortcut to
the various users and hey presto, we each have office suite.

I'm so happy.
Joy