Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > laptop hdd upgrade problem

laptop hdd upgrade problem

AT

I have problem to upgrade my laptop hdd (from 20gb to 40gb)
the OS (XP) couldnt boot in the cloned hdd even though the laptop bios
detected the hdd.

This is what I have tried so far:
I am extremely lack of hdd in my desktop c: drive, therefore I choose
r-driveimage to clone the hdd image.
I make an disk partition image of the laptop hdd (20g) to my desktop second
hdd, then restore the same image to the new laptop hdd (40G).
Put the laptop hdd back to my laptop and it couldnt boot....

Any ideas why?

Geronimo

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 13:16:08 +1300, "AT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have problem to upgrade my laptop hdd (from 20gb to 40gb)
>the OS (XP) couldnt boot in the cloned hdd even though the laptop bios
>detected the hdd.
>
>This is what I have tried so far:
>I am extremely lack of hdd in my desktop c: drive, therefore I choose
>r-driveimage to clone the hdd image.
>I make an disk partition image of the laptop hdd (20g) to my desktop second
>hdd, then restore the same image to the new laptop hdd (40G).
>Put the laptop hdd back to my laptop and it couldnt boot....
>
>Any ideas why?

Yes use Ghost, that copies All of the HD..

You might not have cloned the boot sectors, as these and the Partition info
is not part of the file system..

TEX

AT wrote:

> I have problem to upgrade my laptop hdd (from 20gb to 40gb)
> the OS (XP) couldnt boot in the cloned hdd even though the laptop bios
> detected the hdd.
>
> This is what I have tried so far:
> I am extremely lack of hdd in my desktop c: drive, therefore I choose
> r-driveimage to clone the hdd image.
> I make an disk partition image of the laptop hdd (20g) to my desktop second
> hdd, then restore the same image to the new laptop hdd (40G).
> Put the laptop hdd back to my laptop and it couldnt boot....
>
> Any ideas why?

The laptop is mapping the Head/cylinders/sectors differently.
Try fdisk/mbr or run the repair from xp.

TEX