Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Xtra Jetstream Surf -- Ping?

Xtra Jetstream Surf -- Ping?

Pon

New to this ... so....
Downloads seem OK at around the 256kbps, but I'm wondering whether
ping is a bit on the high side for online gaming at between 70->100ms,
and whether this will drop when we move to 2mpbs next month sometime.
Also, would interfacing the DLink302G via USB rather than ethernet be
having an adverse effect?
Also, would Internet Connection Sharing have an adverse impact.

Whadyareckon ?

TIA ................... P.

steve

Pon wrote:

> New to this ... so....
> Downloads seem OK at around the 256kbps, but I'm wondering whether
> ping is a bit on the high side for online gaming at between 70->100ms,
> and whether this will drop when we move to 2mpbs next month sometime.
> Also, would interfacing the DLink302G via USB rather than ethernet be
> having an adverse effect?
> Also, would Internet Connection Sharing have an adverse impact.
>
> Whadyareckon ?
>

> TIA ................... P.

At 2mbps you should se a ping of about 17ms.....assuming the gaming server
is in NZ and located near an exchange that the ISP concerned is connected
to.

But with TelstraClear trying to milk peering for cash and make customers pay
twice, that may no longer be a valid assumption.

--
Distributed Computing Projects:
SETI at Home

-[Myth]-

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:27:34 +1300, Pon wrote:

> New to this ... so....
> Downloads seem OK at around the 256kbps, but I'm wondering whether
> ping is a bit on the high side for online gaming at between 70->100ms,
> and whether this will drop when we move to 2mpbs next month sometime.
> Also, would interfacing the DLink302G via USB rather than ethernet be
> having an adverse effect?
> Also, would Internet Connection Sharing have an adverse impact.
>
> Whadyareckon ?
>

> TIA ................... P.

Your connection speed should have no effect on your ping, as long as you
have your connection settings setup correctly. You need to set the
connection speed below your upload speed (ie 128k) (In battlefield 1942 set
your connection to ISDN (112kbps)). On jetstart 128k I get a ping of about
43ms, though i know some people who on the same connection get up to 100ms,
it depends on your distance from the exchange.

Bret

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 13:21:09 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:

> Your connection speed should have no effect on your ping,

WTF ??

-[Myth]-

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 14:39:00 +1300, Bret wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 13:21:09 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:
>
>> Your connection speed should have no effect on your ping,

> WTF ??

Unless your connection is saturated, i believe this to be the case, for
example my ping is always 42-45ms playing BF1942 on Xtra servers, and this
doesnt change whether im using 128k or 6mbps Jetstreamgames.

Gordon

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:27:34 +1300, Pon wrote:

> New to this ... so....

Okay ask questions.

> Downloads seem OK at around the 256kbps, but I'm wondering whether
> ping is a bit on the high side for online gaming at between 70->100ms,
> and whether this will drop when we move to 2mpbs next month sometime.

Ping, is a process where by one computer sends outs packets aimed at
another computer and that computer replies, with another packet that it
has received your packet.

Now say the computer you ping is very, very busy, and the route(s) to it
are is grid locked. Ping times will not be high no matter what your speed.

Gordon

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 15:40:27 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 14:39:00 +1300, Bret wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 13:21:09 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:
>>
>>> Your connection speed should have no effect on your ping,

>> WTF ??

> Unless your connection is saturated, i believe this to be the case, for
> example my ping is always 42-45ms playing BF1942 on Xtra servers, and this
> doesnt change whether im using 128k or 6mbps Jetstreamgames.

See, the real world has all sorts of fish hooks.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

-[Myth]- wrote:
>>>Your connection speed should have no effect on your ping,

>>WTF ??

> Unless your connection is saturated, i believe this to be the case, for
> example my ping is always 42-45ms playing BF1942 on Xtra servers, and this
> doesnt change whether im using 128k or 6mbps Jetstreamgames.

you are 100% correct, well, not 100%, but your qualification of "unless
it is saturated" covers all the exclusions I can think of...

unless you change the medium, it'll always be "the same".

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

colinco

In article Dave - Dave.net.nz says...
> unless you change the medium, it'll always be "the same".

When the rate is fixed at the ADSL port, that will change the medium.

Peter Ingham

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 12:42:12 +1300, colinco <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article Dave - Dave.net.nz says...
>> unless you change the medium, it'll always be "the same".
>>

>When the rate is fixed at the ADSL port, that will change the medium.

Depends on how the rate is limited...
Telecom ADSL rate limiting has not (to date) worked by reducing the
DCE to DCE signaling rate.

If my connection is at 4Mbps, and limited to max 128Kb in any given
second, then a 400 byte packet takes 1.2 milli transfer time as long
as rate limiting does not kick in.

If I then increase my cap to 256Kb in any given second, a 400 byte
packet still takes 1.2 milli transfer time as long as rate limiting
does not kick in.

--
Please remove '_SpamTrap' when replying. You know why

Peter Ingham
Lower Hutt
New Zealand