Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Woosh to Woosh

Woosh to Woosh

Toxickiwi

What is the 10gig kick in the head? I nver had a kick in the head
using woosh... and I wouldn't see any advantage to connecting to
another woosh user..

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 20:54:13 -0700, "Peter Skinner"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If I have Woosh and a Friend has Woosh. Is there some great advantage. Like
>could I up load a movie to the another Woosh user and not incure the 10gig
>kick in the head...? Will we comunite quicker.. ?

Gordon

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:41:09 +0000, Toxickiwi wrote:

> What is the 10gig kick in the head? I nver had a kick in the head
> using woosh... and I wouldn't see any advantage to connecting to
> another woosh user..
>
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 20:54:13 -0700, "Peter Skinner"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>If I have Woosh and a Friend has Woosh. Is there some great advantage. Like
>>could I up load a movie to the another Woosh user and not incure the 10gig
>>kick in the head...? Will we comunite quicker.. ?

Good grief, a Woosh customer top posting. I thought they would be a bit
further ahead than this.

Gentle people, Ms Woosh says that there is no cap unless you are obessed
with trying to get as much thru your modem as possible. In which case they
will talk to you about it *before* doing anything.

Peter Skinner

If I have Woosh and a Friend has Woosh. Is there some great advantage. Like
could I up load a movie to the another Woosh user and not incure the 10gig
kick in the head...? Will we comunite quicker.. ?

Daniel Olsen

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:41:09 +0000, Toxickiwi wrote:
>
>> What is the 10gig kick in the head? I nver had a kick in the head
>> using woosh... and I wouldn't see any advantage to connecting to
>> another woosh user..
>>
>> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 20:54:13 -0700, "Peter Skinner"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

> Good grief, a Woosh customer top posting. I thought they would be a bit
> further ahead than this.
>
> Gentle people, Ms Woosh says that there is no cap unless you are obessed
> with trying to get as much thru your modem as possible. In which case they
> will talk to you about it *before* doing anything.

It's coming,

From Woosh,

"From the 2nd November, 2004 we will be limiting the speed on all customers'
accounts that exceed 15GB of use in a 30 day period. The customer's
connection will be limited to the equivalent of dial-up speed until the end
of their 30 day period of excessive use. All customers that have had their
speed limited will be contacted and asked to look at their level of usage or
continue to have their speed limited. The change in excessive use is going
to see significant performance improvement for every Woosh customer on the
network."

So, that's 54.95 for limit on data volume, somewhat flakily service, no free
roaming (announced after I brought it), rude accounts people, high ping, no
news groups...

ADSL is starting to look very, very attractive.

Toxickiwi

Yes, rather strange unlimited downloads, unless you download to much
?! I actually think the service has some potential. I would love it
if they expanded outside the Wellington CBD, you are allowed to roam
for 50 Km but the service is only good in the CBD, another thing that
would be cool is if you stay connected while moving (in the train),
but judging by my signal strength in the CBD I don't think it will
work to hot. On the other hand I have seen people using the Vodafone
mobile data card on the train with no problem, I also see in Australia
Vodafone has dropped the mobile internet use to $49.95 if that happens
here I would give up my woosh in a moment.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/busines...9162672,00.htm
Vodafone drops wireless Internet usage fee
In a bid to lure customers away from fixed line Internet connection,
Vodafone Australia today slashed its unlimited monthly data usage fee
from AU$150 to AU$49.95.
The company said the drop in usage fees made it more affordable for
customers to browse the Internet wirelessly using their Vodafone
Mobile Connect (VMC) data-card, giving customers "yet another reason
to ditch the landline". VMC allows customers wireless connection to
the Internet from their laptops.
The reduced usage fee allows customers unlimited access to the
Internet on Vodafone's GPRS network, as well as sending and receiving
e-mails on the move. This bundle also allows customers to download as
much data as they can use within Australia.
According to Declan O'Callaghan, business marketing manager for data
at Vodafone, "We now have a better Internet solution than a fixed line
service because customers are able to access the Web while they are on
the move. Our wireless Internet access covers 92 percent of the
Australian population through our GPRS network, and this new pricing
model means that this freedom and flexibility is affordable to
business of all sizes."
Declan added that the slashed bundle is designed so that customers can
go online "where it suits them, not where their landline Internet
connection is located."
The AU$49.95 data bundle, used in conjunction with the Vodafone Mobile
Connect, includes no lock in contracts and no minimum session or
flagfall charges, so customers only pay for what they use.
Existing customers on the AU$150 bundle as well as customers on both
the pre-existing bundles of AU$49.95 for 15MB per month, or AU$99.95
for 50 MB per month, will be given the chance to migrate to the new
Vodafone AU$49.95 bundle to take advantage of the new price.
Vodafone launched its Australian mobile capped plans last July
re-emphasising its "no contract" push and designed to "woo customers
away from inflexible and expensive mobile plans and provide them with
an even greater excuse to get rid of their landline or mobile
contract."

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:13:01 +1300, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:41:09 +0000, Toxickiwi wrote:
>
>> What is the 10gig kick in the head? I nver had a kick in the head
>> using woosh... and I wouldn't see any advantage to connecting to
>> another woosh user..
>>
>> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 20:54:13 -0700, "Peter Skinner"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>If I have Woosh and a Friend has Woosh. Is there some great advantage. Like
>>>could I up load a movie to the another Woosh user and not incure the 10gig
>>>kick in the head...? Will we comunite quicker.. ?
>>>

>Good grief, a Woosh customer top posting. I thought they would be a bit
>further ahead than this.
>
>Gentle people, Ms Woosh says that there is no cap unless you are obessed
>with trying to get as much thru your modem as possible. In which case they
>will talk to you about it *before* doing anything.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Toxickiwi wrote:
> another thing that
> would be cool is if you stay connected while moving (in the train),

they wont allow tower hand over... it is reportedly a limitation imposed
by Vodafone, I'd imagine to protect their own data network.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Toxickiwi

Just checked my woosh email and it was there... hmm I liked the end of
the email.. "We are zealous about protecting the performance
experience of our customers and are happy to work with you to match
the best plan to your specific needs"

I am in the middle of the CBD (next to a window) and I needed booster
aerial to get an okay signal... only another $60

TK

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 10:22:38 +1300, "Daniel Olsen"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:41:09 +0000, Toxickiwi wrote:
>>
>>> What is the 10gig kick in the head? I nver had a kick in the head
>>> using woosh... and I wouldn't see any advantage to connecting to
>>> another woosh user..
>>>
>>> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 20:54:13 -0700, "Peter Skinner"
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>

>> Good grief, a Woosh customer top posting. I thought they would be a bit
>> further ahead than this.
>>
>> Gentle people, Ms Woosh says that there is no cap unless you are obessed
>> with trying to get as much thru your modem as possible. In which case they
>> will talk to you about it *before* doing anything.
>>

>It's coming,
>
>From Woosh,
>
>"From the 2nd November, 2004 we will be limiting the speed on all customers'
>accounts that exceed 15GB of use in a 30 day period. The customer's
>connection will be limited to the equivalent of dial-up speed until the end
>of their 30 day period of excessive use. All customers that have had their
>speed limited will be contacted and asked to look at their level of usage or
>continue to have their speed limited. The change in excessive use is going
>to see significant performance improvement for every Woosh customer on the
>network."
>
>So, that's 54.95 for limit on data volume, somewhat flakily service, no free
>roaming (announced after I brought it), rude accounts people, high ping, no
>news groups...
>
>ADSL is starting to look very, very attractive.

EMB

Toxickiwi wrote:
I also see in Australia
> Vodafone has dropped the mobile internet use to $49.95 if that happens
> here I would give up my woosh in a moment.

If that happens I'll get a GSM cellphone. No show of it happening here
though - with no real competition in that market there's no need for VF
to compete.

--
EMB

coments from users of - Woosh Wireless asdf NZ Computing 6 09-22-2003 05:56 AM
Is Woosh the answer? Rats NZ Computing 9 09-17-2003 07:15 PM
The REAL question about 'woosh' Evil Bastard NZ Computing 21 09-17-2003 12:23 PM
Woosh pricing! Carl Elphick NZ Computing 29 09-17-2003 07:43 AM
No word about woosh yet? tony11 NZ Computing 6 09-15-2003 07:22 AM

Advertisments