Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft Genuine Software Key

Microsoft Genuine Software Key

Collector_NZ

This article
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...yvalidate.aspx
makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
prevent re use of the code.

--
He was so narrow-minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.
Local 40.9000S, 174.9830E | |

Harry

Collector_NZ wrote:

> This article
> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...yvalidate.aspx
> makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
> its use to one machine.

Huh? Doesn't everybody know that a license covers only one machine?
This is hardly news.

> Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
> to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
> your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
> prevent re use of the code.

You have to buy a separate license for each machine.
And of course they record details of your configuration.

Have you only just discovered this?

Rider

"Collector_NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This article
> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...yvalidate.aspx
> makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
> its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
> to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
> your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
> prevent re use of the code.

I liked this bit:

"If you request a genuine Windows download from the Microsoft Download
Center"

Does this mean they have non genuine downloads on their site?

Rider

Geronimo

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:28:44 +1300, Collector_NZ <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>This article
>http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...yvalidate.aspx
>makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
>its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
>to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
>your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
>prevent re use of the code.

This has been the standard for the day XP came out..

It not new at all.

Collector_NZ

Geronimo said the following on 29/10/2004 13:43:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:28:44 +1300, Collector_NZ <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>This article
>>http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...yvalidate.aspx
>>makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
>>its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
>>to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
>>your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
>>prevent re use of the code.

> This has been the standard for the day XP came out..
>
> It not new at all.

The new aspect of it which I hadnt made clear is that the validation
process is being used in conjunction with selected free downloads from MS.

--
He was so narrow-minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.
Local 40.9000S, 174.9830E | |
First rule of electronics: Keep the smoke inside!

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Fri, 29 Oct 2004
13:52:15 +1300, Collector_NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Geronimo said the following on 29/10/2004 13:43:
> > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:28:44 +1300, Collector_NZ <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >

> >>This article
> >>http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...yvalidate.aspx
> >>makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
> >>its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
> >>to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
> >>your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
> >>prevent re use of the code.

> > This has been the standard for the day XP came out..
> >
> > It not new at all.
> >

> The new aspect of it which I hadnt made clear is that the validation
> process is being used in conjunction with selected free downloads from MS.

It's not new for them to ask for validation information before allowing
you to install a patch or update.

Paul

Collector_NZ wrote:
> This article
> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...yvalidate.aspx
> makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
> its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
> to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
> your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
> prevent re use of the code.

So what happens if you upgrade your hardware?

Gurble

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:09:13 +1300, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> had
this to say:

>Collector_NZ wrote:
>> This article
>> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...yvalidate.aspx
>> makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
>> its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
>> to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
>> your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
>> prevent re use of the code.
>>

>So what happens if you upgrade your hardware?

You buy a new copy of Windows.

It has been this way for some time. Each component is given a score,
and each time it is changed, the points increase, until you get over
the limit and much enter a new Windows key.

Generally, this correlates to three hardware changes, although it can
be more or less, depending on which components you are substituting.

Good, ay?

Geronimo

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:09:13 +1300, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Collector_NZ wrote:
>> This article
>> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...yvalidate.aspx
>> makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
>> its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
>> to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
>> your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
>> prevent re use of the code.
>>

>So what happens if you upgrade your hardware?

You die

Geronimo

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 20:34:12 +1300, Gurble <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:09:13 +1300, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> had
>this to say:
>
>>Collector_NZ wrote:
>>> This article
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...yvalidate.aspx
>>> makes me think MS are out to limit your use of MS Windows by restricting
>>> its use to one machine. Eg what when you upgrade your system, more hoops
>>> to jump through to activate your software. It seems they store a hash of
>>> your hardware against the COA code if you validate so that they can
>>> prevent re use of the code.
>>>

>>So what happens if you upgrade your hardware?

>You buy a new copy of Windows.
>
>It has been this way for some time. Each component is given a score,
>and each time it is changed, the points increase, until you get over
>the limit and much enter a new Windows key.
>
>Generally, this correlates to three hardware changes, although it can
>be more or less, depending on which components you are substituting.
>
>Good, ay?

This might help

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php