Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ol' gatesy is gettin worried huh ?

Ol' gatesy is gettin worried huh ?

Nathan Mercer

> On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 09:15:27 +1300, thing wrote:
>

>>If I look at Zone-hs verified attacks for today, it shows 56.5% Windows
>>v 36.8% Linux...

> And then you also have to factor in the fact that *nix based websites are
> the majority and Windows based websites are a minority.

Those stats probably aren't from the end of 1 day, anyway its only 1 day
in a much larger year. Sure *nix has more volume of websites, but a
bunch of peoples perception is they are magically secure by running
Linux et al. Clearly Linux has lot of website defacement (whether
through vulns or misconfigurations or whatever)

> And then the above statistics look even worse.

These stats on Zone-H are being updated all the time
right now for instance they show Linux 64.2, Windows 16.5% defacements
Recently I saw a day that was Linux 93.3, Windows, 5.9%

tatties

"Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qDbid.29374$(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 09:15:27 +1300, thing wrote:
>>

>>>If I look at Zone-hs verified attacks for today, it shows 56.5% Windows v
>>>36.8% Linux...

>> And then you also have to factor in the fact that *nix based websites are
>> the majority and Windows based websites are a minority.

> Those stats probably aren't from the end of 1 day, anyway its only 1 day
> in a much larger year. Sure *nix has more volume of websites, but a bunch
> of peoples perception is they are magically secure by running Linux et al.
> Clearly Linux has lot of website defacement (whether through vulns or
> misconfigurations or whatever)
>
>> And then the above statistics look even worse.

> These stats on Zone-H are being updated all the time
> right now for instance they show Linux 64.2, Windows 16.5% defacements
> Recently I saw a day that was Linux 93.3, Windows, 5.9%

Defacements probably mean an ftp upload has been done into a chrooted
directory, by the plain text password being cracked.
The vulnerability is procedural rather than intrinsic to an operating
system.

NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 10:56:20 +1300, tatties wrote:

> Defacements probably mean an ftp upload has been done into a chrooted
> directory, by the plain text password being cracked.
> The vulnerability is procedural rather than intrinsic to an operating
> system.

Shhh! Don't blow apart the Micro$oft Lackie's delusion.

Divine

--
"Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
become Shorthorn."

Nathan Mercer

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 10:56:20 +1300, tatties wrote:
>

>>Defacements probably mean an ftp upload has been done into a chrooted
>>directory, by the plain text password being cracked.
>>The vulnerability is procedural rather than intrinsic to an operating
>>system.

> Shhh! Don't blow apart the Micro$oft Lackie's delusion.

Me delusional?

You think its OK that these defacements happen?

Who cares who you get 0wned, whether its a vuln or a misconfiguration or
whatever, if it results in egg on your face, a loss of face and your
companies name in the paper you're (should be) fired