Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Network Not Showing Up (when WEP)?

Wireless Network Not Showing Up (when WEP)?

=?Utf-8?B?cnhzaWQ=?=

Hi All,

I was running D-link DI-624 wireless router. My desktop was connected to the
net no problem (For years) using a D-Link AirPlus Extreme G DWL-G520 Adapter.
My work laptop was able to connect as well. I had WEP enabled.

Now, I've upgraded to the Dlink DI-634M so that my kids computers upstairs
and at the other end of the house could get a better signal (supposedly).

Anyway, w/o WEP enabled, my laptop and desktop can connect no problem.
However, even though my desktop can connect, if I try to view available
networks...nothing shows up. The advanced button is not even enabled. The
only option is the cancel button.

When I enable the WEP, I can find my network in the available networks and
connect to it no problem with my laptop. However, my desktop now will not
connect. And, again there is no available networks to find even though I'm
broadcasting my networks name. The advanced button isn't enabled either so I
can't even type in the network name.

Why would I not be able to see or do anything at all except cancel, when I
look at the 'available networks' on my desktop which is running win xp pro
sp1???

Thanks!

P.S. The "Wireless Networks" tab is completely missing from my desktop
'Wireless Network Connection Properties' window when I right click on the
wireless tray icon. I was there with the previous router...but not this
one?!?!?! And as mentioned, if WEP is not enabled...I can connect with the
desktop. Also, I appear to be virus free with full scans using Microsoft's
AntiSpyWare and LavaSofts Ad-Aware SE. I also can see in the hardware device
manager that the wireless adapter in the desktop is functioning properly.

Socrates

Hi - have you tried adding your network to the preferred networks list AND selecting windows to connect automatically?

www.amw1.com/tips