Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Loss of DNS/ARP responses from Linksys WAG54G

Loss of DNS/ARP responses from Linksys WAG54G

nospam

I have a host PC running Windows XP SP2, with a wired connection to a
Linksys WAG54G with firmware 1.02.7. I am using a static IP address.

Occasionally the internet connection stops reponding to browser link clicks.
A few seconds after clicking on a link an Alert box pops up:-
"www.websitename.com could not be found. Please check the name and try
again."

Using Ethereal to trace activity in this situation shows :-
The host PC sending DNS queries to the router, and router not responding.

The router admin page also becomes inaccessible. Using Ethereal to
trace activity shows :-
The host broadcasting "ARP who has 192.168.1.1" (ie the router address)
and getting no reply.

It takes a reboot of the PC to fix the problem (no reboot of the router
is necessary).

Any suggestions?

asosatterdw

> Any suggestions?

Do you have all of the latest windows updates, the most current BIOS
for your PC, and the latest firmware on both your router and wireless
card? Start there.

merv.hrabi@rogers.com

next time this happens, discoonect the Ethernet cable from your PC and
then reconnect to see if connectivity is restored.

Also try another port on the router if it has multiple port for wired
connections

nospam

asosatterdw wrote:
>>Any suggestions?

> Do you have all of the latest windows updates, the most current BIOS
> for your PC, and the latest firmware on both your router and wireless
> card? Start there.

Thanks for your thoughts. My Windows XP is fully up to date, and I have
the latest motherboard BIOS.

The WAG54G firmware could be an problem- I have 1.02.7, which isn't on
their download page anymore; they seem to have reverted to 1.02.1

nospam

> next time this happens, discoonect the Ethernet cable from your PC and
> then reconnect to see if connectivity is restored.
>
> Also try another port on the router if it has multiple port for wired
> connections

Thanks for the ideas. Disconnnecting and reconnecting to the same
Ethernet port doesn't restore connectivity, nor does disconnecting and
reconnecting to another Ethernet port.

merv.hrabi@rogers.com

Could you provide some additional background/ history of this proble?

Did you have the problem before you upgraded to SP2/

Do you have access to another comnputer htat you could plug into the
router?

It seems htat the problem is with you PC not with the router.

Also be aware that even thoug a packet is captured by Etherreal it is
no proof that it actually made it to the wire. For that you would need
to put an Ethernet hub between you PC and the rotuer and plug anothyer
PC running Etherreal into that hub.

nospam

I had SP2 loaded before I got the wag54g and broadband, so I can't
comment on whether the loss of connectivity problem would have existed
before SP2.

The symptoms were that the PC could happily access the internet for a
while, and then suddenly go into a mode where it ignored all link
clicks. It seemed more inclined to enter this mode shortly after
power-on (ie about 70% chance of going into the ignore mode within the
first 10 minutes of being powered up). After the power had been on for
30 mins it seemed ok (ie it didn't go into this ignore mode).

I have now reverted to the 1.02.1 firmware for the wag54g (it seems that
1.02.7 isn't available anymore). This has cured one problem that I had
earlier (ie the log viewer was not seeing logging information). I'll
try this setup for a few days and see if it also cures the connectivity
problem. If it doesn't cure it then I'll set up another PC to monitor
the LAN traffic as you suggest.

Thanks to all.