Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > If you have a Nvidia 6800 you have been conned.

If you have a Nvidia 6800 you have been conned.

Geronimo

Go read this Forum

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...&page=13&pp=15

Some Quotes.

The video processing functions will never work on the 6800, this is due to a
hardware failure within the processing unit.

It seems if you need the Video function you have to get one of there PCI-E
Cards

Anyway does anyone else feel they have been conned not just by nvidia but by
it's reseller partners? It clearly says on my box about the video
capabilities.

A great case here for CGA, advertised features just don't work..

The later cards will work fine, e.g. 6600 series, 6200 series and soon to come
6700 series, all PCI-E cards, and that means a new MoBo..

But PCI-E is crap, bench marks reviews that I have seen posted, its slower
than AGP..

Nik Coughin

Geronimo wrote:

> But PCI-E is crap, bench marks reviews that I have seen posted,
> its slower than AGP..

Hi Woger,

That's a very sweeping statement and only holds true under certain
circumstances:

"for now, PCI Express offers no speed increase over AGP, despite the fact
PCI Express 16X can push data around at speeds of up to 4 gigabytes per
second (AGP 8X can manage 'only' 2.1 gigabytes per second)"

and:

"Expect to see a gradual shift to PCI Express as time goes on and software
evolves to take full advantage of its improvements over AGP"

http://tinyurl.com/6tqzr

PCI-E may have no practical application for most users at this point in time
but a colleague of mine is using PCI-E 16x for real time video editing and
he says it's made a noticeable difference.

Hmmm

Geronimo wrote:

> Go read this Forum
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...&page=13&pp=15
>

> Some Quotes.
>
> The video processing functions will never work on the 6800, this is due to a
> hardware failure within the processing unit.
>
> It seems if you need the Video function you have to get one of there PCI-E
> Cards
>
> Anyway does anyone else feel they have been conned not just by nvidia but by
> it's reseller partners? It clearly says on my box about the video
> capabilities.
>
> A great case here for CGA, advertised features just don't work..
>
> The later cards will work fine, e.g. 6600 series, 6200 series and soon to come
> 6700 series, all PCI-E cards, and that means a new MoBo..
>

> But PCI-E is crap, bench marks reviews that I have seen posted, its slower
> than AGP..

That last statement is crap, pci-e is fine, its just the lack of cards
available at the moment to take advantage of it, that will obviously change.

David Preece

Geronimo wrote:
> The video processing functions will never work on the 6800, this is due to a
> hardware failure within the processing unit.

Yeah, I had a look at this this morning, and it was something about
hardware MPEG-2 encoding not working.

I can see that it might bother some people - but most of the pro-video
world are using macs anyway.

Dave

Geronimo

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:19:58 +1300, David Preece <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Geronimo wrote:
>> The video processing functions will never work on the 6800, this is due to a
>> hardware failure within the processing unit.

>Yeah, I had a look at this this morning, and it was something about
>hardware MPEG-2 encoding not working.
>
>I can see that it might bother some people - but most of the pro-video
>world are using macs anyway.
>
>Dave

These is now a retraction on The Inquirer web site, it just states that you do
need a later driver, and that the 6600 also adds support for the WMA as
well.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

David Preece wrote:
>> The video processing functions will never work on the 6800, this is
>> due to a
>> hardware failure within the processing unit.

> Yeah, I had a look at this this morning, and it was something about
> hardware MPEG-2 encoding not working.

I've read the contrary from an Nvidia spoks-person since this.
somewhere on theinquirer.net

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz