Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Wifi can't make connection after hibernation

Wifi can't make connection after hibernation

John Boy

Is it just me.. or do other people also have
problems.

I've got a WAG54G LinkSys WiFi router..and
a new Toshiba A2 Wifi notebook (XP SP1). Often after
the notebook comes out of hibernation/standby
I have to turn the router OFF and back On to
kick start WiFi again.. I could play around with
the notebook for hours trying to restart WiFi..but
the only solution I've found is to turn the *Router* OFF
and back on.. Until then the Notebook says No
Network Signal. This is really a pain considering
the router is in a hard to reach location.
LinkSys tech support don't think its a problem with
the router.. I'm not so sure.. anyone else seen this
problem ?

Any ideas ?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

John Boy wrote:
> Is it just me.. or do other people also have
> problems.

> I've got a WAG54G LinkSys WiFi router..

> LinkSys tech support don't think its a problem with
> the router.. I'm not so sure.. anyone else seen this
> problem ?

I have the same problem with the same router, but it comes up after 2
mins or so, sometimes as little as 20 seconds, but usually 2 mins.
I have a dlink card in my machine.

Im "fixing" it by getting another AP, as it doesnt seem to drop
connection then.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

John Boy

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John Boy wrote:
>
> I have the same problem with the same router, but it comes up after 2
> mins or so, sometimes as little as 20 seconds, but usually 2 mins.
> I have a dlink card in my machine.
>
> Im "fixing" it by getting another AP, as it doesnt seem to drop
> connection then.
>
> --
> Dave Hall

Mine does that also..when first connecting after power up.
The connection goes up and down a few times before
becoming stable.

But when it doesn't work as I described.. it never comes
back even if I wait 1 hour.

I've tried both Windows ZeroConfig and the WiFiConfig
software that comes with the Toshiba notebook.

When it works(WiFi) its 100% stable.. its just gettting
the connection is the problem.

Jed Meisterdude

"John Boy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kyzfd.3147$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> John Boy wrote:
>>
>> I have the same problem with the same router, but it comes up after 2
>> mins or so, sometimes as little as 20 seconds, but usually 2 mins.
>> I have a dlink card in my machine.
>>
>> Im "fixing" it by getting another AP, as it doesnt seem to drop
>> connection then.
>>
>> --
>> Dave Hall

> Mine does that also..when first connecting after power up.
> The connection goes up and down a few times before
> becoming stable.
>
> But when it doesn't work as I described.. it never comes
> back even if I wait 1 hour.
>
> I've tried both Windows ZeroConfig and the WiFiConfig
> software that comes with the Toshiba notebook.
>
> When it works(WiFi) its 100% stable.. its just gettting
> the connection is the problem.

My netgear card / access point combo does something similar...after coming
out of hibernation, the laptop cannot connect to the network at all.

To fix, I just restart the netgear connection utility on the laptop and it
seems to pick up the connection again. But, this ****es me off, and the
girlfriend can't work this out.

John

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:23:01 +1300, "John Boy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>LinkSys tech support don't think its a problem with
>the router..

Correct, if you where talking to someone and they went to sleep,
wouldn't you cease to communicate with them?

We use to have managers phone up who had used standby and phone up
that they couldnt see the network... they need to log off/ back on to
reconnect to the server...
Ditto for your wifi connection, you need to reestablish it from the
notebook end...
How can your wifi device remain connected to a device that is
essencialy turned off?

John Boy

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:23:01 +1300, "John Boy"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> We use to have managers phone up who had used standby and phone up
> that they couldnt see the network... they need to log off/ back on to
> reconnect to the server...
> Ditto for your wifi connection, you need to reestablish it from the
> notebook end...
> How can your wifi device remain connected to a device that is
> essencialy turned off?

Thanks.. but give me some credit.. I've done all that.. logging out
turning the computer OFF.. stopping the software and reseting
ETC ETC ETC... nothing kicks it back to life until I restart
the LinkSys router .

It doesn't need to remain connected.. it just needs to "reconnect"
when the notebook becomes active again.

I don't know why this is happening.