Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon email server down again

Orcon email server down again

Worm

"horizontal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:417dd41e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lasttime I mentioned on this newgroup that the orcon email server was down
> it was fixed in minutes so hopefully the same will happen today, they seem
> to have this problem regularly.

OK, I'll join this bitch thread. Painfully slow at checking email. Bit of
a potluck as to whether it connects or not.

Worm

ChrisOD

thing wrote:
> ChrisOD wrote:
>
>> thing wrote:

>>> We have lots of problems with yahoo and a few others, getting this
>>> 550, usually their servers stop responding though. It could be a few
>>> things, the smtp server is so overloaded that its acknowledgement of
>>> the email times out and the originating server thinks the connection
>>> broke and tries again....
>>>
>>> The duplex setting of your/thier server is wrong, this means the
>>> email's take for ever, small emails would seem to go OK but anything
>>> substantial times out. The network is stuffed and routeing loses it....
>>>
>>> I wonder if Orcon actually has their own servers or piggy back off
>>> xtra? Xtra's are diabolical, its taken an email 14 days before now to
>>> get out of xtra's network (quite why it did not drop after 5 I do not
>>> know).
>>>
>>> It looks like a case of move ISP's to me.
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> Thing

>> I don't think so
>>
>> 550 User Unknown error comes from the recipient MTA not the sending MTA.

> I never said it was the sending MTA, though its the sending MTA that
> reports back to the client that sent the email.
>

>> Yes all of those problems you describe thing could cause email to be
>> delayed or even bounced but not by a 550 error.

> 550 error could be caused by the receiving server losing its list of
> users....or its list has not been updated in time.
>

>> Starkey: Can you post a more complete record of the bounce message, not
>> the email addy of course. But it might have somthing like...
>>
>> While talking to SMTP.orcon.net.nz
>> 550 ........
>>
>> any error message should log which server sent the bounce.
>>
>> Normally a 550 means you've done a typo in the addy.

> yes, the user does not exist....
>
> or an alias at the receiving server is broken....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Agreed a broken virtual table or aliases list could give a 550.
I have no issue with any of the problems you listed above, it was just
that the network issues or overloading of recipient servers could not
cause a 550.

The circumstances as described by starkey suggested to me either a typo
or a broken addressbook entry, in other words a wrong addy.

Why did I guess that?
Repeated attempts to address from one point got 550s while at same time
period from another point email got through.

Of course it could be something like; orcon have anycast or split
horizon DNS and use different recipient MTAs for different senders, and
one of these MTAs has a broken user list.

horizontal

"ChrisOD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> horizontal wrote:
> > "horizontal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:417dd41e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>Lasttime I mentioned on this newgroup that the orcon email server was

down
> >>it was fixed in minutes so hopefully the same will happen today, they

seem
> >>to have this problem regularly.
> >>
> >>Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes

> > for
> >
> >>this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
> >>inactivity. Account: 'pop3.orcon.net.nz (1)', Server:
> >>'pop3.norton.antivirus', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,

Error
> >>Number: 0x800CCC0F
> >>

> > Murphy's law, as soon as I post this it starts working again, although

it
> > still seems to struggle, i.e it's slow.
> >

> I have found to my detriment that virus checkers make **** useless POP
> clients.
>
> They often time out while checking large attachments, they often just
> drop a session causing the pop server not to delete mails you have
> already downloaded. In general they suck over slow connections.
>
> But hey better than virii.

Thanks but I checked that by removing the virus pop client and it made no
difference, I am still finding that the orcon email server is not working
most of the time as reported before, I guess nobody at orcon is listening
afterall.