Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon email server down again

Orcon email server down again

Paul

horizontal wrote:
> Lasttime I mentioned on this newgroup that the orcon email server was down
> it was fixed in minutes so hopefully the same will happen today, they seem
> to have this problem regularly.
>
> Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for
> this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
> inactivity. Account: 'pop3.orcon.net.nz (1)', Server:
> 'pop3.norton.antivirus', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error
> Number: 0x800CCC0F

You don't think Nortons is causing the issue?

Collector_NZ

Brendan said the following on 26/10/2004 22:16:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:39:40 +1300, horizontal wrote:
>

>>It seems to have stopped working again, seems like something is overloaded
>>at orcon.

> My software is set to poll the orcon server for usenet and pop3 every five
> minutes. It is often getting timeout errors.
>
> I suggest Orcon separate the load a bit. I am also still awaiting some help
> with training their dspam system; 'forward as attachment' is not supported
> on my software.

4 Minutes on Pop and 10 Minutes on NNTP no timeouts at all for me on dial up

--
He was so narrow-minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.
Local 40.9000S, 174.9830E | |

Brendan

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:20:41 +1300, Collector_NZ wrote:

> 4 Minutes on Pop and 10 Minutes on NNTP no timeouts at all for me on dial up

regularly timeouts for me on dsl.

--

.... Brendan

"The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting drunk." -- The Replacements.

Note: All my comments are copyright 26/10/2004 10:25:45 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

ChrisOD

thing wrote:
> Starkey wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:47:18 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> thats not a good message.

>> i sent through hotmail to the person and it went fine just orcon i get
>> that message

>> News==----
>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>> >100,000 Newsgroups

>> ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

> We have lots of problems with yahoo and a few others, getting this 550,
> usually their servers stop responding though. It could be a few things,
> the smtp server is so overloaded that its acknowledgement of the email
> times out and the originating server thinks the connection broke and
> tries again....
>
> The duplex setting of your/thier server is wrong, this means the email's
> take for ever, small emails would seem to go OK but anything substantial
> times out. The network is stuffed and routeing loses it....
>
> I wonder if Orcon actually has their own servers or piggy back off xtra?
> Xtra's are diabolical, its taken an email 14 days before now to get out
> of xtra's network (quite why it did not drop after 5 I do not know).
>
> It looks like a case of move ISP's to me.
>
> regards
>
> Thing

I don't think so

550 User Unknown error comes from the recipient MTA not the sending MTA.

Yes all of those problems you describe thing could cause email to be
delayed or even bounced but not by a 550 error.

Starkey: Can you post a more complete record of the bounce message, not
the email addy of course. But it might have somthing like...

While talking to SMTP.orcon.net.nz
550 ........

any error message should log which server sent the bounce.

Normally a 550 means you've done a typo in the addy.

ChrisOD

horizontal wrote:
> "horizontal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:417dd41e$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Lasttime I mentioned on this newgroup that the orcon email server was down
>>it was fixed in minutes so hopefully the same will happen today, they seem
>>to have this problem regularly.
>>
>>Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes

> for
>
>>this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
>>inactivity. Account: 'pop3.orcon.net.nz (1)', Server:
>>'pop3.norton.antivirus', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error
>>Number: 0x800CCC0F
>>

> Murphy's law, as soon as I post this it starts working again, although it
> still seems to struggle, i.e it's slow.

I have found to my detriment that virus checkers make **** useless POP
clients.

They often time out while checking large attachments, they often just
drop a session causing the pop server not to delete mails you have
already downloaded. In general they suck over slow connections.

But hey better than virii.

ChrisOD

Brendan wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:20:41 +1300, Collector_NZ wrote:
>

>>4 Minutes on Pop and 10 Minutes on NNTP no timeouts at all for me on dial up

> regularly timeouts for me on dsl.

Never had issues with pop (when I used to use it) but often with nntp
I installed my own mail and news servers that are a little more
resilient than my client and my nntp problems went away.

Waylon Kenning

It seems like Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:00:56 +1300 was when ChrisOD
<(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...

>While talking to SMTP.orcon.net.nz
>550 ........
>
>any error message should log which server sent the bounce.
>
>Normally a 550 means you've done a typo in the addy.

I haven't had a mail server problem with Quicksilver in as long as I
can remember (last couple of years). Sorry, I couldn't help bringing
some good to this thread of despair

I remember Ihug was great, then turned poorly, now seem to be doing
better. ICONZ was super great, then turned poorly, now seem to be
doing better. Ditto for Paradise. Perhaps it's just Orcon's turn?

*Exception to the rule = Xtra. I never remembered them being great
--
Regards,
Waylon Kenning.

1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

Dave - Dave.net.nz

ChrisOD wrote:
> But hey better than virii.

it is a matter of opinion.
I use no virus checking on my email addy, and find it quite handy
sometimes... it keeps me well aware of the volume of traffic caused by
it, and what to watch out for at work(my home email gets a lot more
email than my work, and virii well before work does).

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Hmmm

Waylon Kenning wrote:
> It seems like Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:00:56 +1300 was when ChrisOD
> <(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...
>

>>While talking to SMTP.orcon.net.nz
>>550 ........
>>
>>any error message should log which server sent the bounce.
>>
>>Normally a 550 means you've done a typo in the addy.

> I haven't had a mail server problem with Quicksilver in as long as I
> can remember (last couple of years). Sorry, I couldn't help bringing
> some good to this thread of despair
>
> I remember Ihug was great, then turned poorly, now seem to be doing
> better. ICONZ was super great, then turned poorly, now seem to be
> doing better. Ditto for Paradise. Perhaps it's just Orcon's turn?
>
> *Exception to the rule = Xtra. I never remembered them being great

blah blah blah

thing

ChrisOD wrote:
> thing wrote:
>
>> Starkey wrote:

>>> i sent through hotmail to the person and it went fine just orcon i get
>>> that message

>>> News==----
>>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>>> ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

>> We have lots of problems with yahoo and a few others, getting this
>> 550, usually their servers stop responding though. It could be a few
>> things, the smtp server is so overloaded that its acknowledgement of
>> the email times out and the originating server thinks the connection
>> broke and tries again....
>>
>> The duplex setting of your/thier server is wrong, this means the
>> email's take for ever, small emails would seem to go OK but anything
>> substantial times out. The network is stuffed and routeing loses it....
>>
>> I wonder if Orcon actually has their own servers or piggy back off
>> xtra? Xtra's are diabolical, its taken an email 14 days before now to
>> get out of xtra's network (quite why it did not drop after 5 I do not
>> know).
>>
>> It looks like a case of move ISP's to me.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing

> I don't think so
>
> 550 User Unknown error comes from the recipient MTA not the sending MTA.

I never said it was the sending MTA, though its the sending MTA that
reports back to the client that sent the email.

> Yes all of those problems you describe thing could cause email to be
> delayed or even bounced but not by a 550 error.

550 error could be caused by the receiving server losing its list of
users....or its list has not been updated in time.

> Starkey: Can you post a more complete record of the bounce message, not
> the email addy of course. But it might have somthing like...
>
> While talking to SMTP.orcon.net.nz
>
> any error message should log which server sent the bounce.
>
> Normally a 550 means you've done a typo in the addy.

yes, the user does not exist....

or an alias at the receiving server is broken....

regards

Thing