Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > PCI-X motherboard

PCI-X motherboard

Richard

Im adding another array to the file storage machine here, and I figure that
since my new sata card and my lan card are both 64bit devices, I should really
get a board which will not bottleneck at the PCI.

So, I need a motherboard that has at least 3 64 bit PCI slots, preferably
onboard gigabit, and perhaps some onboard sata channels to allow for more
expandability.

The abit http://www.amdboard.com/abit_sv-1a.html looks great, except it doesnt
seem to exist yet and I dont really want to have to spend socket 939 money on a CPU.

So, can someone recommend something that is 1. available, 2. not too expensive,
and 3. takes a cheap CPU.

The Other Guy

Unfortunately server boards are never cheap here. My recommendation
would be to import some surplus Xeon boards from the US that take the
older 400MHz FSB Xeon processors.

I think Micro X-Press ship internationally, and they have boards on sale
for $US114.

http://www.emicrox.com/eShop/Product...=945012&SEID=1

Another possiblity is i875 boards. These are available with PCI-X slots,
but you would want to ensure the GbE is either CSA, or on the 64-bit
bus, if you need full duplex speeds.

The Other Guy