Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Digital Video Camera

Digital Video Camera

will

hi,

i'm looking to buy a camcorder for my 2-week south island trip (ie don't
have the opportunity to offload data) at the end of the year.

i was looking at Sony's DVD model, but i gave up because of its 30min
recording time, which is a bit too low, and at around $30 per DVD-RW,
it'll be quite expensive to buy enough to last for 2 weeks.

so back to Mini-DV, is Panasonic's 3CCD worth the money? is Sony still a
good brand to consider? i just need one that is easy to operate and
produces reasonable video quality for TV viewing later on.

i notice some camcorders have MPEG4 recording to SD cards, how is the
quality compared to recording to Mini-DV. someone at a retail shop told
me SD card is only for photos, all video goes to Mini-DV.

still-imaging is not as important.

thanks

will.

thing

will wrote:
> hi,
>
> i'm looking to buy a camcorder for my 2-week south island trip (ie don't
> have the opportunity to offload data) at the end of the year.
>
> i was looking at Sony's DVD model, but i gave up because of its 30min
> recording time, which is a bit too low, and at around $30 per DVD-RW,
> it'll be quite expensive to buy enough to last for 2 weeks.
>
> so back to Mini-DV, is Panasonic's 3CCD worth the money? is Sony still a
> good brand to consider? i just need one that is easy to operate and
> produces reasonable video quality for TV viewing later on.

Personally I would not buy Sony, to proprietry (hence tape prices) and I
have had bad experiences.

I have the Panasonic GS170 (now its the GS200 I think) for still
pictures it is all but useless except for rough snaps but for movies I
think it is very good.

The GS200 does MPeg4 to the sD card I believe, you will need large
memory cards (1gig ones) and its compressed so the quality will probably
not be as good as MiniDV. The Panasonic tapes are resonably priced so
just get 6~9 tapes.

As a hint, once you buy a particular brand of MiniDV tape, stick to that
one brand as different brands use different lubricants which can combine
and gum up the camera, not good.

www.tomshardware.com had an excellent review/howto of the GS170 and
making movies so that is why I bought one, I have not regretted it so far.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/vid...524/index.html
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/vid...614/index.html

I bought a 5.1 Mpixel HP camera for stills, well worth it if you want a
hi-res automatic camera, it does very nice pictures, and I like the
software bundle which also works on Macs.

I bought the HP camera and the GS170 for ($2100incl GST) less than the
price of the GS200, ($2500) so think on what you want.

regards

Thing

> i notice some camcorders have MPEG4 recording to SD cards, how is the
> quality compared to recording to Mini-DV. someone at a retail shop told
> me SD card is only for photos, all video goes to Mini-DV.
>
> still-imaging is not as important.
>
> thanks
>
> will.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

thing wrote:
> I have the Panasonic GS170 (now its the GS200 I think) for still
> pictures it is all but useless except for rough snaps but for movies I
> think it is very good.
>
> The GS200 does MPeg4 to the sD card I believe, you will need large
> memory cards (1gig ones) and its compressed so the quality will probably
> not be as good as MiniDV. The Panasonic tapes are resonably priced so
> just get 6~9 tapes.

my sister just got one of these and a 1GB SD card(~$165+GST wholesale).
The stills suck, but for video it is sweet.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

will

> my sister just got one of these and a 1GB SD card(~$165+GST wholesale).
> The stills suck, but for video it is sweet.

#### i read that GS120 is a dumb-down version of GS200, i wonder if i
really need that 2.2MP (plus few features) or is 1.7MP enough, since i'm
not into still photos on camcorder anyway.

are non-3CCD models (GS55 or something like that) still worth looking at?

and on Panosonic's booklet, 512MB is enough for 1 hour MPEG4 at the
super-fine (highest) setting. comparing this to 1GB 8cm-DVD's 30min, i
guess the quality will suffer a bit. but i have 3x512MB SD cards lying
around, so it's an incentive to use non-Sony.

will.

SNOman

will wrote:
> hi,
>
> i'm looking to buy a camcorder for my 2-week south island trip (ie don't
> have the opportunity to offload data) at the end of the year.
>
> i was looking at Sony's DVD model, but i gave up because of its 30min
> recording time, which is a bit too low, and at around $30 per DVD-RW,
> it'll be quite expensive to buy enough to last for 2 weeks.
>
> so back to Mini-DV, is Panasonic's 3CCD worth the money? is Sony still a
> good brand to consider? i just need one that is easy to operate and
> produces reasonable video quality for TV viewing later on.
>
> i notice some camcorders have MPEG4 recording to SD cards, how is the
> quality compared to recording to Mini-DV. someone at a retail shop told
> me SD card is only for photos, all video goes to Mini-DV.
>
> still-imaging is not as important.
>
> thanks
>
> will.

What's the deal with getting video from your DV camera to PC HDD for
editing these days? I always thought the small sony dvd cameras would be
a good option as presumably each time you take a video segment it
records a separate mpeg file to the dvd which you can then just copy
stright into your PC. With tapes don't you still have to run a capture
utility and capture your video from tape to get it into your PC?

nick

"SNOman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:clk230$eqs$(E-Mail Removed)...
> will wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> i'm looking to buy a camcorder for my 2-week south island trip (ie don't
>> have the opportunity to offload data) at the end of the year.
>>
>> i was looking at Sony's DVD model, but i gave up because of its 30min
>> recording time, which is a bit too low, and at around $30 per DVD-RW,
>> it'll be quite expensive to buy enough to last for 2 weeks.
>>
>> so back to Mini-DV, is Panasonic's 3CCD worth the money? is Sony still a
>> good brand to consider? i just need one that is easy to operate and
>> produces reasonable video quality for TV viewing later on.
>>
>> i notice some camcorders have MPEG4 recording to SD cards, how is the
>> quality compared to recording to Mini-DV. someone at a retail shop told
>> me SD card is only for photos, all video goes to Mini-DV.
>>
>> still-imaging is not as important.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> will.

> What's the deal with getting video from your DV camera to PC HDD for
> editing these days? I always thought the small sony dvd cameras would be a
> good option as presumably each time you take a video segment it records a
> separate mpeg file to the dvd which you can then just copy stright into
> your PC. With tapes don't you still have to run a capture utility and
> capture your video from tape to get it into your PC?

When you transfer DV via firewire it is already mpeg compressed, and the
process transferring it is just ftp
The signal remains digital from the CCD onto tape, the compression codec is
in the camera.

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Tue, 26 Oct 2004
11:11:03 +1300, will <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> hi,
>
> i'm looking to buy a camcorder for my 2-week south island trip (ie don't
> have the opportunity to offload data) at the end of the year.
>
> i was looking at Sony's DVD model, but i gave up because of its 30min
> recording time, which is a bit too low, and at around $30 per DVD-RW,
> it'll be quite expensive to buy enough to last for 2 weeks.
>
> so back to Mini-DV, is Panasonic's 3CCD worth the money? is Sony still a
> good brand to consider? i just need one that is easy to operate and
> produces reasonable video quality for TV viewing later on.
>
> i notice some camcorders have MPEG4 recording to SD cards, how is the
> quality compared to recording to Mini-DV. someone at a retail shop told
> me SD card is only for photos, all video goes to Mini-DV.
>
> still-imaging is not as important.
>
> thanks
>
> will.

DVD recording is compressed so if you want to edit before putting it onto
a DVD of your own this is not the way to go.

For any format that is not tape, consider that the data rate of DV is 25
Mibps which works out to 187MiB/min (IIRC). Anything using less than that
is compressed in some way. If it records to a memory card then either it
is very short or compressed massively.

Patrick Dunford

In article <clk230$eqs$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Tue, 26 Oct 2004
12:26:24 +1300, SNOman <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> will wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > i'm looking to buy a camcorder for my 2-week south island trip (ie don't
> > have the opportunity to offload data) at the end of the year.
> >
> > i was looking at Sony's DVD model, but i gave up because of its 30min
> > recording time, which is a bit too low, and at around $30 per DVD-RW,
> > it'll be quite expensive to buy enough to last for 2 weeks.
> >
> > so back to Mini-DV, is Panasonic's 3CCD worth the money? is Sony still a
> > good brand to consider? i just need one that is easy to operate and
> > produces reasonable video quality for TV viewing later on.
> >
> > i notice some camcorders have MPEG4 recording to SD cards, how is the
> > quality compared to recording to Mini-DV. someone at a retail shop told
> > me SD card is only for photos, all video goes to Mini-DV.
> >
> > still-imaging is not as important.
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > will.

> What's the deal with getting video from your DV camera to PC HDD for
> editing these days? I always thought the small sony dvd cameras would be
> a good option as presumably each time you take a video segment it
> records a separate mpeg file to the dvd which you can then just copy
> stright into your PC. With tapes don't you still have to run a capture
> utility and capture your video from tape to get it into your PC?

With DV on firewire you are just receiving the digital data stream as it
comes off the tape. This may take a little while in real time, once it is
in the PC you can do what you like with it.

A file in MPEG4 may be convenient but losing quality from the
compression.

thing

will wrote:

>> my sister just got one of these and a 1GB SD card(~$165+GST wholesale).
>> The stills suck, but for video it is sweet.

> #### i read that GS120 is a dumb-down version of GS200, i wonder if i
> really need that 2.2MP (plus few features) or is 1.7MP enough, since i'm
> not into still photos on camcorder anyway.
>
> are non-3CCD models (GS55 or something like that) still worth looking at?
>
> and on Panosonic's booklet, 512MB is enough for 1 hour MPEG4 at the
> super-fine (highest) setting. comparing this to 1GB 8cm-DVD's 30min, i
> guess the quality will suffer a bit. but i have 3x512MB SD cards lying
> around, so it's an incentive to use non-Sony.
>
> will.

Did you read the tomshardware review? 3ccd camera's are supposed to give
far better colour.

I would suggest getting a 3ccd if you can afford it and use it enough
and what you will be taking film off is very important to you. I got a
3ccd for the quality I can only take film of my family history once.

regards

Thing

Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

In article <Tjgfd.23049$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When you transfer DV via firewire it is already mpeg compressed, and the
>process transferring it is just ftp

It is not MPEG-compressed. In particular, there is no interframe
compression, since that stuffs up editing. It's more like JPEG, or at
least DCT-based.