Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MS's security campaign, article debunking the MS myth's and how MScherry picks data.

Reply
Thread Tools

MS's security campaign, article debunking the MS myth's and how MScherry picks data.

 
 
thing
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2004
http://www.theregister.co.uk/securit...dows_vs_linux/

regards

Thing

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chris Wilkinson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2004
Hi there,

thing wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/securit...dows_vs_linux/


A good article IMHO...

The truth hurts it is said...is that why no-one in this NG has come to
the defence of Uncles Billys fave OS yet, in regards to that report?

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch, New Zealand.
Remove spamblocker to send replies direct to my email...
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2004
Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/securit...dows_vs_linux/


> A good article IMHO...
> The truth hurts it is said...is that why no-one in this NG has come to
> the defence of Uncles Billys fave OS yet, in regards to that report?


read about it elsewhere, but umm, any report written about how bad
windows is, by a known Linux nut is likely to be ignored, much like the
MS sponsored reports into how bad linux is.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz
http://www.karyn.net.nz
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/securit...dows_vs_linux/

>
>> A good article IMHO...
>> The truth hurts it is said...is that why no-one in this NG has come to
>> the defence of Uncles Billys fave OS yet, in regards to that report?

>
>read about it elsewhere, but umm, any report written about how bad
>windows is, by a known Linux nut is likely to be ignored, much like the
>MS sponsored reports into how bad linux is.


Quite. Who says sources don't matter ?




Bruce

------------------------------
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals
dying of nothing.

-Redd Foxx


Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
(if there were any)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Wilkinson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2004
Hi there,

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/securit...dows_vs_linux/

>
>
>> A good article IMHO...
>> The truth hurts it is said...is that why no-one in this NG has come to
>> the defence of Uncles Billys fave OS yet, in regards to that report?

>
> read about it elsewhere, but umm, any report written about how bad
> windows is, by a known Linux nut is likely to be ignored, much like the
> MS sponsored reports into how bad linux is.


Does it not matter that the information presented in the report can
be validated quite easily by anyone who approaches it objectively,
and not just from a subjective POV?

I'd be more worried about XP/SP2 breaking many 3rd-party apps...the
apps breaking like that may infact be creating more opportunities for
new virii/malware etc...to exploit...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch, New Zealand.
Remove spamblocker to send replies direct to my email...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-31-2004
Chris Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
>> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>>
>>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/securit...dows_vs_linux/

>>
>>
>>
>>> A good article IMHO...
>>> The truth hurts it is said...is that why no-one in this NG has come to
>>> the defence of Uncles Billys fave OS yet, in regards to that report?

>>
>>
>> read about it elsewhere, but umm, any report written about how bad
>> windows is, by a known Linux nut is likely to be ignored, much like
>> the MS sponsored reports into how bad linux is.

>
>
> Does it not matter that the information presented in the report can
> be validated quite easily by anyone who approaches it objectively,
> and not just from a subjective POV?


I've tried to objectively validate the data, but I can't, because its
based on flat out innacurracies. Nicholas Petreley isn't objective, he
can't be

> I'd be more worried about XP/SP2 breaking many 3rd-party apps...the
> apps breaking like that may infact be creating more opportunities for
> new virii/malware etc...to exploit...
>


Nice theory but sounds illogical to me. XPSP2 is a much more secure
platform than previous versions of XP. Sure AppCompat is an issue, as
with any new version of an OS, but the platform fails safe (closed) not
open. Have you got a real world example to back up the theory?
Breaking 3rd party apps is a good thing in this case - breaking them
because they are insecure
 
Reply With Quote
 
E. Scrooge
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-31-2004

"Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KD3hd.26305$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>>
>>> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>>>
>>>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/securit...dows_vs_linux/
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> A good article IMHO...
>>>> The truth hurts it is said...is that why no-one in this NG has come to
>>>> the defence of Uncles Billys fave OS yet, in regards to that report?
>>>
>>>
>>> read about it elsewhere, but umm, any report written about how bad
>>> windows is, by a known Linux nut is likely to be ignored, much like the
>>> MS sponsored reports into how bad linux is.

>>
>>
>> Does it not matter that the information presented in the report can
>> be validated quite easily by anyone who approaches it objectively,
>> and not just from a subjective POV?

>
> I've tried to objectively validate the data, but I can't, because its
> based on flat out innacurracies. Nicholas Petreley isn't objective, he
> can't be
>
>> I'd be more worried about XP/SP2 breaking many 3rd-party apps...the
>> apps breaking like that may infact be creating more opportunities for
>> new virii/malware etc...to exploit...
>>

>
> Nice theory but sounds illogical to me. XPSP2 is a much more secure
> platform than previous versions of XP. Sure AppCompat is an issue, as
> with any new version of an OS, but the platform fails safe (closed) not
> open. Have you got a real world example to back up the theory? Breaking
> 3rd party apps is a good thing in this case - breaking them because they
> are insecure


No longer true.
Microsoft released an updated patch on the 20th October 2004. It's meant to
fix the latest security hole that allowed people to hack through IE.

By itself SP2 without the latest patch isn't as secure as a PC that has the
latest patch is. So far that now makes XP as secure as it can be until the
next hole is discovered and fixed.

It's hardly easy to be completely secure when a website data has to get onto
a PC before that website can be displayed.

A computer that stays off the net isn't in a network, and doesn't load and
install data off anything should be as secure as any computer can be under
such severe user restrictions.

E. Scrooge


 
Reply With Quote
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-31-2004
E. Scrooge wrote:
> "Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:KD3hd.26305$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>>
>>>Hi there,
>>>
>>>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/securit...dows_vs_linux/
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>A good article IMHO...
>>>>>The truth hurts it is said...is that why no-one in this NG has come to
>>>>>the defence of Uncles Billys fave OS yet, in regards to that report?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>read about it elsewhere, but umm, any report written about how bad
>>>>windows is, by a known Linux nut is likely to be ignored, much like the
>>>>MS sponsored reports into how bad linux is.
>>>
>>>
>>>Does it not matter that the information presented in the report can
>>>be validated quite easily by anyone who approaches it objectively,
>>>and not just from a subjective POV?

>>
>>I've tried to objectively validate the data, but I can't, because its
>>based on flat out innacurracies. Nicholas Petreley isn't objective, he
>>can't be
>>
>>
>>>I'd be more worried about XP/SP2 breaking many 3rd-party apps...the
>>>apps breaking like that may infact be creating more opportunities for
>>>new virii/malware etc...to exploit...
>>>

>>
>>Nice theory but sounds illogical to me. XPSP2 is a much more secure
>>platform than previous versions of XP. Sure AppCompat is an issue, as
>>with any new version of an OS, but the platform fails safe (closed) not
>>open. Have you got a real world example to back up the theory? Breaking
>>3rd party apps is a good thing in this case - breaking them because they
>>are insecure

>
>
> No longer true.


Whats no longer true?

XPSP2 is still more secure than any other version of XP.

> Microsoft released an updated patch on the 20th October 2004. It's meant to
> fix the latest security hole that allowed people to hack through IE.


I think you're referring to the Drag and Drop vuln. Yes its a bad one,
but remember that a user must visit a malicious web site, or read a
malicious email.User interaction is required to exploit this vulnerability.

> By itself SP2 without the latest patch isn't as secure as a PC that has the
> latest patch is. So far that now makes XP as secure as it can be until the
> next hole is discovered and fixed.


Not sure I agree with SP2 not being as secure as a PC that has the
latest patch (presumably SP1 + the IE patch) I would rather be on SP2.
Still - I would rather be on SP2 with this patch as well.

XPSP2 is still more secure as a whole than XP SP0, SP1 with or without
the latest updates.

> It's hardly easy to be completely secure when a website data has to get onto
> a PC before that website can be displayed.
>
> A computer that stays off the net isn't in a network, and doesn't load and
> install data off anything should be as secure as any computer can be under
> such severe user restrictions.
>
> E. Scrooge
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Matthew Poole
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-31-2004
In article <1099222016.89044@ftpsrv1>, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:
>
>"Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:KD3hd.26305$(E-Mail Removed)...

*SNIP*
>A computer that stays off the net isn't in a network, and doesn't load and
>install data off anything should be as secure as any computer can be under
>such severe user restrictions.
>

How do you think MS managed to achieve Orange Book certification for
NT3.5 SP3? By keeping it off the network.
Not much use for an NOS, is it?

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around"

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet
 
Reply With Quote
 
NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-31-2004
On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 00:02:42 +1300, Nathan Mercer wrote:

> XPSP2 is a much more secure
> platform than previous versions of XP.


M$WinNT5.1 was marketed as Windows XP, and was hailed as the most secure
version ever. However, a major security flaw was exploited within a week
from initial release which permitted near instantaneous infection upon
connecting to the Internet.

Since then it has taken *two* "service pack" releases, before Micro$oft
was able to fix the serious security flaws in Internet Explorer.

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20..._explorer.html

And most likely there will be more!

Web Users are recommended to upgrade to Mozilla or it's offshoot,
Firefox. http://www.mozilla.org


Divine

--
"Outlook is the security equivalent of wearing condoms with the ends cut
off - for greater comfort and ease of use."

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
Of dental picks and cameras.... Pat Digital Photography 7 06-15-2007 02:51 PM
Wireless adapter picks up newly found network... =?Utf-8?B?d3Rqb2huc29u?= Wireless Networking 7 03-07-2005 06:19 PM
Debunking Art - fraudster with python AI engine? Nick Python 9 09-01-2004 07:44 PM
Debunking the myth of DVD rot Smaug69 DVD Video 15 08-22-2004 01:16 PM



Advertisments