Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > OSx rootkit availible

OSx rootkit availible

Dave - Dave.net.nz

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10...ootkit_opener/

"One of the first pieces of malicious code targeting Apple's Mac OS X
operating system has been discovered. The Mac OS X malware, dubbed
Opener, is a rootkit for Mac OS X machines that contains a variety of
destructive functionality including a keylogger and backdoor components."

It seems fairly rare from what I have read(this and a few other
articles), but it is out there.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Mike Dee

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10...ootkit_opener/

<snip>
> It seems fairly rare from what I have read(this and a few other
> articles), but it is out there.

Does this mean Mac OS is gaining in popularity?

--
D.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Mike Dee wrote:
>>It seems fairly rare from what I have read(this and a few other
>>articles), but it is out there.

> Does this mean Mac OS is gaining in popularity?

nah, I read something the other day that said some jumped up Mac head
was skiting about how secure OSx is, and so it has become more of a
challenge.

my wife wants one, well, a mac lappy.
Im making her pay, and offering no support.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz
http://www.karyn.net.nz

Mike Dee

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Mike Dee wrote:
>>>It seems fairly rare from what I have read(this and a few other
>>>articles), but it is out there.

>> Does this mean Mac OS is gaining in popularity?

> nah, I read something the other day that said some jumped up Mac
> head was skiting about how secure OSx is, and so it has become
> more of a challenge.

Still is a challenge, it seems the so-called malware would have to gain
permission from root to install. It's not your average OE/IE VB script.

> my wife wants one, well, a mac lappy.
> Im making her pay, and offering no support.

Mean bastard

--
D.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Mike Dee wrote:
>>my wife wants one, well, a mac lappy.
>>Im making her pay, and offering no support.

> Mean bastard

unless/untill Im allowed to play with one myself, I wont support it.
Thats how I work.
Thats how I got a palm.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz
http://www.karyn.net.nz

Mike Dee

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Mike Dee wrote:
>
>> Mean bastard

> unless/untill Im allowed to play with one myself, I wont support it.
> Thats how I work.
> Thats how I got a palm.

Wo es Ermittlung gibt, gibt es eine Möglichkeit [Where there's a will,
there's a way].
So that's how it's done! - Say's Mike to self, entering Palm Tungsten
into list of possible birthday pressies

--
D.

David Preece

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10...ootkit_opener/
>
> "One of the first pieces of malicious code targeting Apple's Mac OS X
> operating system has been discovered.

Perhaps it would be good to read some more?

"Opener (AKA Renepo-A) is a shell script that can't be installed without
admin privileges. It isn't spreading."

So, you need admin privaleges and it can't spread itself. So technically
a trojan then.

"A thread on Macintouch reports an isolated example of a Mac user
finding Opener on their system"

One isolated example. Hardly on the scale of the Windows RPC bug, is it?
That being said I do think Apple are starting to get a bit blasé.

Dave

David Preece

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>>> my wife wants one [snip] offering no support.

> unless/untill Im allowed to play with one myself
> Thats how I got a palm.

My wife wants one, I won't support it until I can play with myself,
that's how I got a palm.

Am I reading this right? Is it ... ummm ... off topic?

Dave

Bret

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:44:07 +1300, David Preece wrote:

>> unless/untill Im allowed to play with one myself
>> Thats how I got a palm.

> My wife wants one, I won't support it until I can play with myself,
> that's how I got a palm.
>
> Am I reading this right? Is it ... ummm ... off topic?
>
> Dave

It does say root kit in the subject.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Bret wrote:

>>>unless/untill Im allowed to play with one myself
>>>Thats how I got a palm.

>>My wife wants one, I won't support it until I can play with myself,
>>that's how I got a palm.

>>Am I reading this right? Is it ... ummm ... off topic?

> It does say root kit in the subject.

heh, I really dont know how to respond to this other than I'll ask my
wife... although I suspect she'll look rather confused even when I show
her this.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz