Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux now a big enough share to count?

Linux now a big enough share to count?

thing

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20..._advisory.html

;]

regards

Thing

Dave - Dave.net.nz

thing wrote:
> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20..._advisory.html
> ;]

heh, I was going to post this last night, but thought about how I'd
posted the 2.6 vun earlier, and didn't want to get bagged for two in one
day.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

thing

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> thing wrote:
>
>> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20..._advisory.html
>> ;]

> heh, I was going to post this last night, but thought about how I'd
> posted the 2.6 vun earlier, and didn't want to get bagged for two in one
> day.

2.6 one?

regards

Thing

Dave - Dave.net.nz

thing wrote:
>>> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20..._advisory.html
>>> ;]

>> heh, I was going to post this last night, but thought about how I'd
>> posted the 2.6 vun earlier, and didn't want to get bagged for two in
>> one day.

> 2.6 one?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19253

"USERS OF Linux running a 2.6 series kernel and using iptables for
firewalling have been advised to upgrade to fix a bug which could be
exploited remotely to cause a denial of service.

The bug, discovered by Richard Hart, does not affect the 2.4 series
kernel or the later version. It is caused by an integer underflow
problem in the iptables firewall logging rules. This means that a hacker
could remotely crash the machine by using a specially designed IP packet.

Ironically, they can only do this if a firewall is enabled in the kernel.

A spokesSuSE said a workaround was to disable firewall logging of IP and
TCP options. It is better practice to upgrade your kernel to the latest
version. "

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz