Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > UBS & new Telecom plans

UBS & new Telecom plans

Steve

"MarkH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Mfqfd.3948741$(E-Mail Removed)...
> EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:clkndb$srv$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > MarkH wrote:
> >

> >> Basically during the month that the UBS 256k plans start Telecom
> >> decided to offer 2MBit through Xtra, but will not let other ISPs
> >> wholesale it for 6 months.

> > Other ISP's can however retail it effective immediately just as they
> > did the pre-UBS ADSL offerings.

> Exactly! Telecom is screwing over the UBS that it didn't want in the

first
> place! The retailing can only be done under the terms and conditions set
> by Telecom, unlike UBS. Of course the ISP will make practically nothing
> when reselling Telecoms pre-packaged deal, screwed again - naturally.
>

> --
> Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
> See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz
> "There are 10 types of people, those that
> understand binary and those that don't"

What I'd like to know is why they can switch me up to 256k with no hassles
but in 3 weeks (give or take) since I registered for UBS they haven't been
able to switch me over to that. Essentially the same process, I imagine(?)

Cheers,

(an angry) Steve

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Steve wrote:
> What I'd like to know is why they can switch me up to 256k with no hassles
> but in 3 weeks (give or take) since I registered for UBS they haven't been
> able to switch me over to that. Essentially the same process, I imagine(?)

because it is not the same process... no-where near it.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

steve

Paul wrote:

> How does the new Telecom JetStream plans affect the whole UBS deal?

It appears to make it obselete.

You can have 2mbps with Telecom now......or via UBS you get to stay 256k
with whoever.

> Do the 1Mbit, 2Mbit plans fall into this wholesale agreement thru other
> ISPs?

No.....as usual, Telecom is delaying and dangling this carrot before ISPs to
keep them compliant - and regulators off their back - until such tims as
most people are on 2mbps with Telecom and have no incentive to change to a
UBS via another ISP.

they are using the same logic Microsoft employs by including MS IE and MS OE
with Windows.....It's there....why would you go to the effort of changing?

> If not, is it back to the Commerce Commission again?

Telecom will play "chicken" with regulators for as long as they can get away
with it.

Remember Xtra at $2/hour?

Remeber how Xtra got IP-Net - FIRST - at the very best per-minute rate
(despite not having a single paying customer).

This has been going on for years.....same old crap from the same old telco.

--
Distributed Computing Projects:
SETI at Home

steve

Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> In article <lhkfd.1836894$(E-Mail Removed)>, MarkH
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:Mg3fd.22970$(E-Mail Removed):
>>> I just heard from someone today about it and checked Telecom's
>>> website...
>>>
>>> Just wanted to be sure I had a reason to be annoyed.

>>If it's Telecom then the odds are that you do have very good reason to be
>>annoyed.
>>
>>Basically during the month that the UBS 256k plans start Telecom decided
>>to offer 2MBit through Xtra, but will not let other ISPs wholesale it for
>>6
>>months. Does this seem to be a little anti-competitive or what! It also
>>gives them an excuse for delays in converting other ISPs customers over to
>>the UBS service.

> I do note, however, a lack of surprise in all these postings. This, at
> least, is good news

True....more and more people are waking up to how Telecom does business.

--
Distributed Computing Projects:
SETI at Home
ClimatePrediction.net

Mutley

steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Paul wrote:
>
>> How does the new Telecom JetStream plans affect the whole UBS deal?

>It appears to make it obselete.
>
>You can have 2mbps with Telecom now......or via UBS you get to stay 256k
>with whoever.
>
>> Do the 1Mbit, 2Mbit plans fall into this wholesale agreement thru other
>> ISPs?

>No.....as usual, Telecom is delaying and dangling this carrot before ISPs to
>keep them compliant - and regulators off their back - until such tims as
>most people are on 2mbps with Telecom and have no incentive to change to a
>UBS via another ISP.
>
>they are using the same logic Microsoft employs by including MS IE and MS OE
>with Windows.....It's there....why would you go to the effort of changing?
>
>> If not, is it back to the Commerce Commission again?

>Telecom will play "chicken" with regulators for as long as they can get away
>with it.
>
>Remember Xtra at $2/hour?

I remember Voyager at $10/hour when I joined in 1995