Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Prepare to get screwed by digital rights management

Prepare to get screwed by digital rights management

Warwick

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 04:46:42 GMT, Matthew Poole wrote:

> Then the law should be removed. If it's not enforced, regularly
> ignored, then it's not necessary.

Couldn't agree more with you there.
It is a principal argument for legalizing marijuana, or at least I use it
that way when campaigning for drug law reform.

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:46:03 +1300, Geronimo <(E-Mail Removed)> says...

> Will this happen here..?
>

> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19246

Just a lot of whinging, so what

Patrick Dunford

In article <lXWed.969$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Mon, 25
Oct 2004 12:31:45 +1300, Clarity <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> "thing" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ujWed.22898$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Geronimo wrote:
> > >

> > > Will this happen here..?
> > >

> > > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19246
> > >

> > "...Here it is again: "Why would a consumer want to buy something that
> > has more restrictions and less functionality for more money than current
> > solutions?....."
> >
> > DSE told me a while back when I went to buy a DVD player (in anser to my
> > Q) no one sells a zoned DVD player in NZ, no one wnats to buy one.
> >
> > DVD players are now generic and cheap "non-discrim terms for IP" means
> > the cheap players from Tiawan and China will be replaced with expensive
> > licenced models if anyone will buy.
> >
> > Dual plane DVD burners are hitting the $150 mark.....down from $600+ 3
> > months back and there is room to go on this....sub $100? Why do we need
> > these new toys at all?
> >
> > One exec was quoted as saying the TIVO(?) gets around forcing you to
> > watch the adverts, that means your stealing the content, your a criminal
> > in their eyes and dont forget it.
> >
> > The hopefully saving grace I can see is these execs still only think in
> > terms of the domestic US and 1st world markets, Asia, China etc will
> > make and sell non-locked kit and being the biggest market this will win.
> > They also have a substantial own market in terms of their own content,
> > not evryone buys US drivel.
> >
> > I hope so anyway...
> >
> > And as for "fair use", I believe it is a US term, not a NZ one (in terms
> > of legalese) we enjoy fewer rights than a US consumer.

> We do have an equivalent of "fair use" in New Zealand, with a similar
> sounding term of "fair dealing" used in the Copyright Act 1994. Whilst you
> wouldn't be able to claim defence to large scale copying of entire works,
> there is sufficient provision to uphold fair and reasonable use.

> 42.Criticism, review, and news reporting-

Obviously this title applies to the following section.

Timeshifting is one of the few actual rights you have for off air
material.

Matthew Poole

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, Patrick Dunford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <lXWed.969$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Mon, 25
>Oct 2004 12:31:45 +1300, Clarity <(E-Mail Removed)> says...

*SNIP*
>Timeshifting is one of the few actual rights you have for off air
>material.

It's the ONLY right, other than taking backups of computer software you
own, and even the timeshifting right is heavily circumscribed.

I was most disgusted to read that people in the IP industry are
concerned that the proposed changes swing too far towards the consumer.
I'm sure they would've been much happier with the law staying as it was.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

Patrick Dunford

In article <cljk45$2hs$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Mon, 25 Oct 2004
19:28:05 GMT, Matthew Poole <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, Patrick Dunford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >In article <lXWed.969$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Mon, 25
> >Oct 2004 12:31:45 +1300, Clarity <(E-Mail Removed)> says...

> *SNIP*
> >Timeshifting is one of the few actual rights you have for off air
> >material.

> It's the ONLY right, other than taking backups of computer software you
> own, and even the timeshifting right is heavily circumscribed.

Well apart from the reviewing ones