Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > laptop comparison

laptop comparison

Dave - Dave.net.nz

I am once again looking at a laptop, and have settled for one of two
models, both Asus ones.

The exact models is pretty much unimportant, and will be sorted by my
budget/preferences... but these are the two series Im looking at.

http://www.asus.com/products/noteboo...d_overview.htm
http://www.asus.com/products/noteboo...k_overview.htm

Battery life is not that important to me, but I'd like to get 2 hrs...
just enough to lift from plug to plug. for this reason weight isn't
overly worrying either.

The only downsides I see to these two models is limited pcmcia/pccard
slots, and wonder if this will really be an issue, they both have modem
and LAN, so wifi seems to be the only thing missing.

--
Dave.net.nz
reply addy is http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)e

geoffm

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 02:29:36 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The only downsides I see to these two models is limited pcmcia/pccard
>slots, and wonder if this will really be an issue, they both have modem
>and LAN, so wifi seems to be the only thing missing.

Main thing I use PCMCIA slot for on my Dell is for the Wifi card,
everything else I use USB for external connections. Uo can get USE
Wifi adapters as well, but the PC card oens are a bit neater if you
move the computer (no tail dangling out the back).
Geoff

Peter Ingham

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am once again looking at a laptop, and have settled for one of two
>models, both Asus ones.

I, for one, will never purchase another Asus laptop.
I had lots of problems with mine.
The thing that took the cake was finding that consumables (the Li-ion
Battery packs) were no longer manufactured, and unobtainable < 3 years
after purchase.
--
Please remove '_SpamTrap' when replying. You know why

Peter Ingham
Lower Hutt
New Zealand

Matthias

Peter Ingham wrote:

> The thing that took the cake was finding that consumables (the Li-ion
> Battery packs) were no longer manufactured, and unobtainable < 3 years
> after purchase.

Under the Consumer Guarantees Act, spare parts need to be available, so
if the place you bought your laptop from was unable to provide them, you
probably could have asked for your money back, especially if it had been
less than three years since your purchase. But then, IANAL.

Anyway, I always found Asus to be one of the better cheap laptop brands.

-- Matthias

~misfit~

Matthias wrote:
> Peter Ingham wrote:
>
>> The thing that took the cake was finding that consumables (the Li-ion
>> Battery packs) were no longer manufactured, and unobtainable < 3
>> years after purchase.

> Under the Consumer Guarantees Act, spare parts need to be available,
> so if the place you bought your laptop from was unable to provide
> them, you probably could have asked for your money back, especially
> if it had been less than three years since your purchase. But then,
> IANAL.
>
> Anyway, I always found Asus to be one of the better cheap laptop
> brands.

I was under the impression that the CGA specifies parts must be available
for seven years. At least that's what I remember from a while ago.
--
~misfit~

Peter Ingham

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:50:24 +1300, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Matthias wrote:
>> Peter Ingham wrote:
>>
>>> The thing that took the cake was finding that consumables (the Li-ion
>>> Battery packs) were no longer manufactured, and unobtainable < 3
>>> years after purchase.

>> Under the Consumer Guarantees Act, spare parts need to be available,
>> so if the place you bought your laptop from was unable to provide
>> them, you probably could have asked for your money back, especially
>> if it had been less than three years since your purchase. But then,
>> IANAL.
>>
>> Anyway, I always found Asus to be one of the better cheap laptop
>> brands.

>I was under the impression that the CGA specifies parts must be available
>for seven years. At least that's what I remember from a while ago.

I couldn't be bothered taking action under CGA. I've already wasted
far more time getting the answers I have than any likely recovery
under CGA (after still more time and cost) would be worth.

The retailer (with whom I've directly spent > $15K, and indirectly
through recommendations another $12K, over the last 10 years) will
never get another major purchase out of me. Asus will now get a
justified rubbishing in public forums whenever the opportunity arises.
As far as I'm concerned, Asus will lose out in the long term through
lost sales.

Asus are a cheap brand to purchase. I thought mine was a good buy for
about 6 weeks. My system spent >10% of it's lifetime away being
serviced, one serious fault was never resolved. When I factor in
lost productivity, My Asus was by far the most expensive laptop I've
ever used.