Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 1 colour tank v 3 seperate tanks

1 colour tank v 3 seperate tanks

texan.usenet@texas.removethisbit.com

Going to buy a new printer.
I quite like the idea of one with 3 separate tanks v the one tank that
my old HP has.

Any pros or cons?

Printer in mind is an Epson C86 [probably not avail in NZ].

Thanks in advance.

Cath

Invisible

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:27:49 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Going to buy a new printer.
>I quite like the idea of one with 3 separate tanks v the one tank that
>my old HP has.

I had a Canon with 3 separate colour tanks, and they all ran out at roughly the
same time.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I quite like the idea of one with 3 separate tanks v the one tank that
>my old HP has.
>
>Any pros or cons?

I think the 3 (or more) separate colour tanks is more common these days.
My 5-year-old Epson Stylus Color 900 has a single 3-colour tank, and I
must admit I've never encountered the situation where one colour ran out
before the others, so its single-colour-tank design has never bothered
me.

Have you looked at ones with 5 different colours? That seems to be the
way to go for maximum photorealism.

colinco

In article Lawrence D'Oliveiro says...
> My 5-year-old Epson Stylus Color 900 has a single 3-colour tank, and I
> must admit I've never encountered the situation where one colour ran out
> before the others, so its single-colour-tank design has never bothered
> me.

How do you know? Can you see the levels or are you relying on an
indicator that could tell you anything?

Geronimo

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:27:49 -0500, (E-Mail Removed)
wrote:

>Going to buy a new printer.
>I quite like the idea of one with 3 separate tanks v the one tank that
>my old HP has.
>
>Any pros or cons?
>
>Printer in mind is an Epson C86 [probably not avail in NZ].
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Cath

I think for Photo use the R200 is a good buy, at $99us list, can also print
on CD's

The UK Jet Tec ink tanks are also a good option as they have 30% more ink,
yes they are sold in the US..

Hmmm

colinco wrote:
> In article Lawrence D'Oliveiro says...
>
>>My 5-year-old Epson Stylus Color 900 has a single 3-colour tank, and I
>>must admit I've never encountered the situation where one colour ran out
>>before the others, so its single-colour-tank design has never bothered
>>me.
>>

> How do you know? Can you see the levels or are you relying on an
> indicator that could tell you anything?

I have two printers, one with individual ink cartridges the other
slightly older with one single color one. As other people have pointed
out the color ink seems to run out at pretty much the same time. With
my individual one this is the case also. I now use the printer that has
one combined color cartridge more as its a hell of a lot cheaper that
combined cartridge than bunch of individual cartridges each time..

My printers are an epson photo 700 (combined color)
and a
R310 (5 color cartridges (ouch!))

colinco

In article Hmmm says...
> My printers are an epson photo 700 (combined color)
> and a
> R310 (5 color cartridges (ouch!))

Again, not having an Epson I don't know, can you see through the
cartridge or are you just assuming the inks all ran out at the same time
because the monitor told you?

Collector_NZ

(E-Mail Removed) said the following on 24/10/2004 08:27:
> Going to buy a new printer.
> I quite like the idea of one with 3 separate tanks v the one tank that
> my old HP has.
>
> Any pros or cons?
>
> Printer in mind is an Epson C86 [probably not avail in NZ].
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cath

The cynic in me says 3 colour tanks plus a black, hmmm thats four tanks
and now if we get a few extra points profit on each tank we have
increased our income stream over the use of single carts.
Most users will run out of all tanks at a very similar time, those of us
who use inkjet stationary, can run out of the most predominately used
colour a lot quicker than the others.

--
He was so narrow-minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.
Local 40.9000S, 174.9830E

Hmmm

colinco wrote:
> In article Hmmm says...
>
>>My printers are an epson photo 700 (combined color)
>>and a
>>R310 (5 color cartridges (ouch!))
>>

> Again, not having an Epson I don't know, can you see through the
> cartridge or are you just assuming the inks all ran out at the same time
> because the monitor told you?

I have opened them before yes, so yes the monitor is correct.

Geoff Wood

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Going to buy a new printer.
> I quite like the idea of one with 3 separate tanks v the one tank that
> my old HP has.
>
> Any pros or cons?

Yes. You only rteplace (and pay for) what needs replacing.

> Printer in mind is an Epson C86 [probably not avail in NZ].

Go to any printer repair workshop and check what brand has the biggest
occurence in the pile of repairs and unrepairables.

geoff