Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MS Support

MS Support

Peter

Julian Visch wrote:
> Conclusion I am coming to with my evaluation, MS lack support for their
> own product,

They don't have to provide support 'cos they have a monopoly.
This week, I was talking to a guy at work who wanted to buy a new computer
to run Linux on. Well, he went round several computer sales stores, and
none would sell a PC without Windows. One offered to clear Windows off the
hard disc for him (he still had to pay for the MS licence, though).

It is possible to buy a PC without paying the Micro$oft tax, but it isn't
easy and is not practical for most consumers.

Peter

Dorado

Peter wrote:
> Julian Visch wrote:
>> Conclusion I am coming to with my evaluation, MS lack support for
>> their own product,

> They don't have to provide support 'cos they have a monopoly.
> This week, I was talking to a guy at work who wanted to buy a new
> computer to run Linux on. Well, he went round several computer sales
> stores, and none would sell a PC without Windows. One offered to
> clear Windows off the hard disc for him (he still had to pay for the
> MS licence, though).
>
> It is possible to buy a PC without paying the Micro$oft tax, but it
> isn't easy and is not practical for most consumers.
>
> Peter

Go here
http://www.ascent.co.nz/pcbuild.asp
You can pick a prebuild configuration or pick your own component and they
will assemble. No Windows if you don't want it.

EMB

Peter wrote:

> It is possible to buy a PC without paying the Micro$oft tax, but it isn't
> easy and is not practical for most consumers.

Since when was visiting a Dick Smith store impractical??

--
EMB

Peter

EMB wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>> It is possible to buy a PC without paying the Micro$oft tax, but it isn't
>> easy and is not practical for most consumers.

> Since when was visiting a Dick Smith store impractical??

No sign of Linux when I was there yesterday, but lots of screens with
Windos.

Peter

Dorado wrote:
> Go here
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/pcbuild.asp
> You can pick a prebuild configuration or pick your own component and they
> will assemble. No Windows if you don't want it.

I know it is possible and bought my PC sans OS.
The point is that it is not easy for most consumers, and that most sales
people deny Linux as an option.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It is possible to buy a PC without paying the Micro$oft tax, but it isn't
>easy and is not practical for most consumers.

After owning 4 Macs, I bought my first Intel-based box earlier this
year, and I had no trouble at all setting it up as a Microsoft-free zone
from the beginning. All I did was walk into Recycled Technology with
this magazine, point to the picture of the Shuttle XB75G2 box, and say
"build me a system with this". About a week later the beastie was all
ready to take home. No Microsoft tax.

Gordon

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 08:14:42 +1300, Peter wrote:

> It is possible to buy a PC without paying the Micro$oft tax, but it isn't
> easy and is not practical for most consumers.

Which part of the country are you in?

Here in Christchurch, no problem.

Gordon

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 09:07:52 +1300, Peter wrote:

> The point is that it is not easy for most consumers, and that most sales
> people deny Linux as an option.

Ah well, the great unwashed of the masses eh?

E. Scrooge

"Julian Visch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Having tried ringing them for support in getting the evaluation copy of
> windows xp going and getting the response, oh there must be something
> wrong
> with the hard drive bring it back to the shop as the solution. After
> pointing out that there was nothing wrong with the hard drive itself as I
> previously had linux installed on it, their brilliant solution was search
> under Linux they would have a solution. So I need to go to their own
> competition for a limitation in their own software? Ok the competition did
> have the solution but even still does the MS help desk not have anyone
> with
> a clue on what to do when things don't work, if so what is the point of
> them. I also found it annoying that the first guy I rang insisted that I
> must be at my computer if I wanted support, pointed out that my computer
> was at home, not at work, well he said ring us when you are at home, but
> then your help desk isn't operational. Eventually got from him an email
> address which I emailed and got no response at all.
> Conclusion I am coming to with my evaluation, MS lack support for their
> own
> product, their product does not install as well as windows 2000 as at
> least
> 2000 sees my modem, while brilliant XP tries to connect to the internet to
> get the latest driver...which one, doesn't say, so lots of guess work
> required.

Millions of people have no problem using XP at all. If you wanted XP that
much you'd buy the full retail version or get a PC that has it.

Your best bet would be to switch off your computer and see if Cash
Converters will give your 2 bucks for the thing.

E. Scrooge

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Sun, 24 Oct
2004 07:52:47 -0700, Julian Visch <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Having tried ringing them for support in getting the evaluation copy of
> windows xp going and getting the response, oh there must be something wrong
> with the hard drive bring it back to the shop as the solution. After
> pointing out that there was nothing wrong with the hard drive itself as I
> previously had linux installed on it, their brilliant solution was search
> under Linux they would have a solution. So I need to go to their own
> competition for a limitation in their own software? Ok the competition did
> have the solution but even still does the MS help desk not have anyone with
> a clue on what to do when things don't work, if so what is the point of
> them. I also found it annoying that the first guy I rang insisted that I
> must be at my computer if I wanted support, pointed out that my computer
> was at home, not at work, well he said ring us when you are at home, but
> then your help desk isn't operational. Eventually got from him an email
> address which I emailed and got no response at all.
> Conclusion I am coming to with my evaluation, MS lack support for their own
> product, their product does not install as well as windows 2000 as at least
> 2000 sees my modem, while brilliant XP tries to connect to the internet to
> get the latest driver...which one, doesn't say, so lots of guess work
> required.

In this group you have told us how wonderful Linux is and have slagged MS
ample times. So is this just another anti MS rant?

Since it is far, far harder to get say Debian working properly on obscure
hardware, if you cannot get Windows going there must be something
seriously wrong with your PC or you.