Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > The hounds are after the fox. Great stuff

The hounds are after the fox. Great stuff

Patrick Dunford

In article <kzAed.13601$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Sun, 24
Oct 2004 10:59:55 +1300, Max Burke <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> > Allistar scribbled:

> >> Max Burke wrote:
> >> I subscribe to several security email lists, and have several
> >> Linux/OSS websites in my favourites list.
> >> Going by what I read there I get daily securtity email lists about
> >> Windows,
> >> *nix, etc and nearly those list far more *nix and OSS bugs than
> >> Microsoft bugs...
> >> Using *nix and OSS software requires almost DAILY updates and
> >> patches to fix these numerous bugs and fixes....
> >> How do YOU keep up with them all??????

> > emerge sync && emerge -pv world

> Every day?
> And how do you know what it's installing, what it's fixing, if it actually
> fixes that bugs, that it's compatiable, that it wont cause problems for
> yourself or your users...
> It's not a very 'safe' way to keep up to date is it....

Ho ho ho

There have been numerous problems documented with Windows fixes, SP2
killds some people's machines because of bios problems, we have found
that the SP2 firewall stops some of our users having internet access
because of an application they have to run that is blocked.

Still sticking with that comment?

Patrick Dunford

In article <kzAed.13601$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Sun, 24
Oct 2004 10:59:55 +1300, Max Burke <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> > Allistar scribbled:

> >> Max Burke wrote:
> >> I subscribe to several security email lists, and have several
> >> Linux/OSS websites in my favourites list.
> >> Going by what I read there I get daily securtity email lists about
> >> Windows,
> >> *nix, etc and nearly those list far more *nix and OSS bugs than
> >> Microsoft bugs...
> >> Using *nix and OSS software requires almost DAILY updates and
> >> patches to fix these numerous bugs and fixes....
> >> How do YOU keep up with them all??????

> > emerge sync && emerge -pv world

> Every day?
> And how do you know what it's installing, what it's fixing, if it actually
> fixes that bugs, that it's compatiable, that it wont cause problems for
> yourself or your users...
> It's not a very 'safe' way to keep up to date is it....

Really? How do you know that all the updates have been installed? I
checked our systems and Windows is not keeping up with all the updates,
one machine was short of 13 patches even though auto updates are fully
enabled.

Allistar

Max Burke wrote:

>> Allistar scribbled:

>>> Max Burke wrote:
>>> I subscribe to several security email lists, and have several
>>> Linux/OSS websites in my favourites list.
>>> Going by what I read there I get daily securtity email lists about
>>> Windows,
>>> *nix, etc and nearly those list far more *nix and OSS bugs than
>>> Microsoft bugs...
>>> Using *nix and OSS software requires almost DAILY updates and
>>> patches to fix these numerous bugs and fixes....
>>> How do YOU keep up with them all??????

>>> Every day?

>> Not normally. Maybe every few days.

> I only need to check that once a month, but XP SP2 will notify me if there
> are updates available to install.
> Now tell me why that is wrong, but what you do is right?

I've never said nor implied what you do is wrong. Ever.

> As far as I can see it's not much different....
>
>>> And how do you know what it's installing, what it's fixing, if it
>>> actually fixes that bugs, that it's compatiable, that it wont cause
>>> problems for yourself or your users...

>> The -pv switch tells it to only tell me what it will install/upgrade,
>> not actually do the upgrade for me. I then make a decisio non what to
>> upgrade and what not to.

> Well gee, that is what I do, because *Microsoft* gives me (and everyone
> else that uses a Microsoft OS) that exact same option. Tell me again why
> that's wrong when it's a Microsoft OS Allistar, but right when it's
> not.....

As I said, I have never EVER said that what you do is "wrong" and what I do
is "right". Ever. Not once.

Find the person who did say that and have a go at them instead.

Allistar.

Max Burke

> nick scribbled:

> "Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:5uHed.14753$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How long does it REALLY take the OSS community to fix the bugs in
>> OSS...

> It varies, but its very fast indeed for the main projects that major
> linux users like sun ibm hp, the distribution vendors and the
> majority of the worlds internet service depend on, like the kernel,
> apache, proftpd, bind, qmail samba etc. They prefer to be members of
> the "OSS community" because of the rapid response that such a
> community effort can achieve.

How answering how long it takes them to *find* the bugs.....

Found Images

Max Burke

> Patrick Dunford scribbled:

> Max Burke says...
>> Snip the usual crap....
>> ALL OS'es have bugs; ALL OS'es require patching. All software
>> running on ANY OS has bugs. It's NOT something that is unique to
>> Microsoft and windows. Why do so many 'advocates' for *nix/OSS want
>> this fact to be a '****ing contest' as some sort of 'advocacy' for
>> *nix/OSS is for them to justify and explain.

> Because you want this group to be PRo MS you start contests of your
> own.

Hardly....

--
(E-Mail Removed)
Found Images

Max Burke

> Patrick Dunford scribbled:

>> Max Burke says...
>> Every day?
>> And how do you know what it's installing, what it's fixing, if it
>> actually fixes that bugs, that it's compatiable, that it wont cause
>> problems for yourself or your users...
>> It's not a very 'safe' way to keep up to date is it....

> Really? How do you know that all the updates have been installed? I
> checked our systems and Windows is not keeping up with all the
> updates, one machine was short of 13 patches even though auto updates
> are fully enabled.

That would be down to the sys admin (is that you?) not doing the job they
get paid to do....

--
(E-Mail Removed)
Found Images

Max Burke

> Allistar scribbled:

>> Max Burke wrote:

> Not normally. Maybe every few days.

> The -pv switch tells it to only tell me what it will
> install/upgrade, not actually do the upgrade for me. I then make a
> decisio non what to upgrade and what not to.

>> Well gee, that is what I do, because *Microsoft* gives me (and
>> everyone else that uses a Microsoft OS) that exact same option. Tell
>> me again why that's wrong when it's a Microsoft OS Allistar, but
>> right when it's not.....

> As I said, I have never EVER said that what you do is "wrong" and
> what I do is "right". Ever. Not once.
> Find the person who did say that and have a go at them instead.

This IS what the thread is all about Allistar; You're participating.....

--
(E-Mail Removed)
Found Images

nick

"Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:72Ked.16990$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> nick scribbled:

>> "Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:5uHed.14753$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> How long does it REALLY take the OSS community to fix the bugs in
>>> OSS...

>> It varies, but its very fast indeed for the main projects that major
>> linux users like sun ibm hp, the distribution vendors and the
>> majority of the worlds internet service depend on, like the kernel,
>> apache, proftpd, bind, qmail samba etc. They prefer to be members of
>> the "OSS community" because of the rapid response that such a
>> community effort can achieve.

> How answering how long it takes them to *find* the bugs.....

Always before its a problem to me or Google or IBM, Unilever,
Goldman-Sachs, Merrill-Lynch, Lehman Brothers, Verisign, and a bunch of
universities that run their whole student campus on Linux servers.

Allistar

Max Burke wrote:

>> Allistar scribbled:

>>> Max Burke wrote:

>> Not normally. Maybe every few days.

>> The -pv switch tells it to only tell me what it will
>> install/upgrade, not actually do the upgrade for me. I then make a
>> decisio non what to upgrade and what not to.

>>> Well gee, that is what I do, because *Microsoft* gives me (and
>>> everyone else that uses a Microsoft OS) that exact same option. Tell
>>> me again why that's wrong when it's a Microsoft OS Allistar, but
>>> right when it's not.....

>> As I said, I have never EVER said that what you do is "wrong" and
>> what I do is "right". Ever. Not once.
>> Find the person who did say that and have a go at them instead.

> This IS what the thread is all about Allistar; You're participating.....

I joined in to express my opinion on a particular topic (i.e. how I do an
update of my Linux computers). That doesn't mean I agree with everything
else in the thread, including the way you update Windows.

Get a grip, I didn't say anything against your update practice, and quite
frankly see nothing wrong with it. Stop arguing with me for the sake of it.

Allistar.

Patrick Dunford

In article <82Ked.16992$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Sun, 24
Oct 2004 21:48:21 +1300, Max Burke <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> > Patrick Dunford scribbled:

> >> Max Burke says...
> >> Every day?
> >> And how do you know what it's installing, what it's fixing, if it
> >> actually fixes that bugs, that it's compatiable, that it wont cause
> >> problems for yourself or your users...
> >> It's not a very 'safe' way to keep up to date is it....

> > Really? How do you know that all the updates have been installed? I
> > checked our systems and Windows is not keeping up with all the
> > updates, one machine was short of 13 patches even though auto updates
> > are fully enabled.

> That would be down to the sys admin (is that you?) not doing the job they
> get paid to do....

How is that? We turned on the automatic updates. MS promised it would
work even if the administrator was not logged on. They lied.