Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Help: network troubleshooting?

Help: network troubleshooting?

Pleb Plebian

Hi all;
Have a weird problem:
Am reinstalling WinME on my laptop (new HDD) - and re the OS, yeah, I know
-can ping, see my router, log on to the 'net etc etc via the hardwired
line - but on the wireless card (Netgear MA521) - can connect to other
machines on the network, move files etc - but _can't_ access the router _or_
ping anything, even the machines I can see and move files around in in
Network Places.

TCP/IP is the only protocol installed, have different IP's (on same subnet)
assigned to ea adapter (but only use 1 at a time - eg shut down, unplug the
hard line, plug in PC wireless card, reboot) - can't for the life of me
figure this out.

Would understand if another protocol (eg NetBEUI) was installed and bound to
the wireless card, with TCP/IP being fully operational on the hardwired
card....but its not.....
Have client for MS Networks and File and Print sharing for MS Networks
installed: both are bound to TCP/IP on both adapters.

Have installed and deinstalled wireless card/drivers/config utility 3 times
now - has me stumped.
(Reinstalling the old HDD, the card works perfectly - so its not a HW
fault).
Have ZoneAlarm installed but disabled until I get this running....

Any ideas anyone?

TIA for any and all suggestions - bar 'install Linux/some other OS'