Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ihug, UBS and 2Mbit ADSL

Ihug, UBS and 2Mbit ADSL

EMB

Reposted from ihug.general (which won't allow crossposting)

cobbler© wrote:
> Any one heard about this
> just got the letter from telecom saying that My speed is going up from
> 256kbs to 2mbs...and the price stays the same
> 59.00 plus isp charges.....
> what do you all reckon........

Well...I've had the same letter which is cool. But.... ihug say they
aren't supporting the Telecom retail plans, and will move us all to
bliink 256k plans whether we like it or not.

I rang the ihug helpdesk today to ask about the timing of bliink
transfers and was told it would be several months before that happens.

The likely situation is that we'll be moved to the 2M Jetstream plan,
then ihug will drop us back to 256k bliink when they get it going, which
is going to *suck* pretty badly.

I've made the decision to give ihug until the end of the year to decide
whether they are going to be realistic about the demand for the 2M
service, and if they won't support it I'm off elsewhere (along with 2
other people whose internet I administer). If they support the 2M
offerings I'll probably bring them a few new customers.

--
EMB

E. Scrooge

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cl7eqa$698$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Reposted from ihug.general (which won't allow crossposting)
>
> cobbler© wrote:
> > Any one heard about this
> > just got the letter from telecom saying that My speed is going up from
> > 256kbs to 2mbs...and the price stays the same
> > 59.00 plus isp charges.....
> > what do you all reckon........

> Well...I've had the same letter which is cool. But.... ihug say they
> aren't supporting the Telecom retail plans, and will move us all to bliink
> 256k plans whether we like it or not.
>
> I rang the ihug helpdesk today to ask about the timing of bliink transfers
> and was told it would be several months before that happens.
>
> The likely situation is that we'll be moved to the 2M Jetstream plan, then
> ihug will drop us back to 256k bliink when they get it going, which is
> going to *suck* pretty badly.
>
> I've made the decision to give ihug until the end of the year to decide
> whether they are going to be realistic about the demand for the 2M
> service, and if they won't support it I'm off elsewhere (along with 2
> other people whose internet I administer). If they support the 2M
> offerings I'll probably bring them a few new customers.
>
> --
> EMB

The Aussie owners are stuffing up what was once a good ISP.
ihug offer competitive Internet prices... but BUT only if you dump
Telecom's reliable phone service for ihug's phone service - which had a
recent outage in one area going by ihug's recent MOTD.

2mbs sounds like a good deal, except that ihug are telling you that you
won't have it for long if ihug has anything to do with it. Going by your
post.

You deserve an award for your great patience with ihug (and it's new Aussie
owners). Your new customers should be supporting competitive NZ owned ISPs,
EMB.

E. Scrooge

Ripping Silk

EMB wrote:
> Reposted from ihug.general (which won't allow crossposting)
>
> cobbler© wrote:
> > Any one heard about this
> > just got the letter from telecom saying that My speed is going up from
> > 256kbs to 2mbs...and the price stays the same
> > 59.00 plus isp charges.....
> > what do you all reckon........

makes wired country look a bit expensive now.... that didn't take
long.... perhaps if wired country upped their speed to 5Mb ?

EMB

E. Scrooge wrote:

> You deserve an award for your great patience with ihug (and it's new Aussie
> owners). Your new customers should be supporting competitive NZ owned ISPs,
> EMB.

Price isn't everything - ihug have generally been reliable, and their
helpdesk staff generally have a few clues. Compare that with the
experiences of others as posted here and I'm not unhappy I've stayed at
ihug. The reason I'll take others there is that I tend to be the first
support call they make, and if I'm with the same ISP as them I'm
normally aware of problems before they start ringing me.

However there comes a time when I run out of loyalty, and that's getting
pretty close now!

--
EMB

E. Scrooge

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cl7lov$c3s$(E-Mail Removed)...
> E. Scrooge wrote:
>>
>> You deserve an award for your great patience with ihug (and it's new
>> Aussie owners). Your new customers should be supporting competitive NZ
>> owned ISPs, EMB.

> Price isn't everything - ihug have generally been reliable, and their
> helpdesk staff generally have a few clues. Compare that with the
> experiences of others as posted here and I'm not unhappy I've stayed at
> ihug. The reason I'll take others there is that I tend to be the first
> support call they make, and if I'm with the same ISP as them I'm normally
> aware of problems before they start ringing me.
>
> However there comes a time when I run out of loyalty, and that's getting
> pretty close now!
>
> --
> EMB

People could do worse than ihug. Should they have problems they don't like,
they could then blame you for talking them into any ISP. Guide them, but
leave it to them to make the decision. I know of people who have joined
Xtra. If that outfit keeps them happy then fair enough. If not, then
they've got themselves to blame for making that choice.

E. Scrooge

Hmmm

Ripping Silk wrote:
> EMB wrote:
>
>> Reposted from ihug.general (which won't allow crossposting)
>>
>> cobbler© wrote:
>> > Any one heard about this
>> > just got the letter from telecom saying that My speed is going up from
>> > 256kbs to 2mbs...and the price stays the same
>> > 59.00 plus isp charges.....
>> > what do you all reckon........

> makes wired country look a bit expensive now.... that didn't take
> long.... perhaps if wired country upped their speed to 5Mb ?

Do wired country throttle you to 64kbits ?

steve

EMB wrote:

> I've made the decision to give ihug until the end of the year to decide
> whether they are going to be realistic about the demand for the 2M
> service, and if they won't support it I'm off elsewhere (along with 2
> other people whose internet I administer).**If*they*support*the*2M
> offerings I'll probably bring them a few new customers.
>
> EMB

It also depends on whether or not Telecom will let them sell it in a way
that makes any sense for ihug.

Telecom has shafted all the ISPs who signed up for the 256k UBS offering.

......though anyone who did not EXPECT to be shafted must be under the age of
10.

--
Distributed Computing Projects:
SETI at Home

Ripping Silk

Hmmm wrote:

> Do wired country throttle you to 64kbits ?

yes I think so.. I'm doing the 2mbps plan. break 5Gb peak or 15Gb off
peak international (for previous 30 days) and you get strangled...

Craig Whitmore

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cl7eqa$698$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Reposted from ihug.general (which won't allow crossposting)
>
> cobbler© wrote:
> > Any one heard about this
> > just got the letter from telecom saying that My speed is going up from
> > 256kbs to 2mbs...and the price stays the same
> > 59.00 plus isp charges.....
> > what do you all reckon........

> Well...I've had the same letter which is cool. But.... ihug say they
> aren't supporting the Telecom retail plans, and will move us all to bliink
> 256k plans whether we like it or not.

With UBS/I-UBS the User has to give permission to the ISP to be able to move
the customer over. SO if you ahve not given permission then they cannot move
you over and you'll stay on the Telecom Service.

Thanks
Craig

EMB

Craig Whitmore wrote:

> With UBS/I-UBS the User has to give permission to the ISP to be able to move
> the customer over. SO if you ahve not given permission then they cannot move
> you over and you'll stay on the Telecom Service.

Thanks Craig, that's really useful to know.

--
EMB