Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Talking to spammers

Talking to spammers

James McLaughlin

Hi.

My Paradise account filters nearly all my spam mail, but there is one
team of spammers who are getting through every day. They're sending me
porn messages with a very structured style, so I can tell it is from
the same people efvery time.

Each message points me to a different site, and a Whois shows that
each one has just been created by either Alfred Robinson or David
Morgan.

So my question is: Should I use their contact addresses to tell them
to stop, or I'll start getting their sites shut down? I'm really
****ed off, and it's not like confirming my address will result in me
suddenly getting their spam, because I'm already receiving it.

Sure, their contact addresses might be fake, but I figure its worth a
go.

Can anyone suggest a downside to trying this?

Thanks,
James

Harry

James McLaughlin wrote:

> Hi.
>
> My Paradise account filters nearly all my spam mail, but there is one
> team of spammers who are getting through every day. They're sending me
> porn messages with a very structured style, so I can tell it is from
> the same people efvery time.
>
> Each message points me to a different site, and a Whois shows that
> each one has just been created by either Alfred Robinson or David
> Morgan.
>
> So my question is: Should I use their contact addresses to tell them
> to stop, or I'll start getting their sites shut down? I'm really
> ****ed off, and it's not like confirming my address will result in me
> suddenly getting their spam, because I'm already receiving it.
>
> Sure, their contact addresses might be fake, but I figure its worth a
> go.
>
> Can anyone suggest a downside to trying this?

You could stop giving your email address to porn sites.

Anyhow, now that the damage is done, why don't you simply
change your email address?

Andrei Sharko

Under no circumsatnces should you try to communicate. Its like voting for
politicians - it only encourages them. The chances of them even paying
attention to you is in the order of 1 in 10 million. All you do is alert
their automated system that you are 'live'. Your value to them increases
significantly from perhaps a thousandth of a cent to a hundreth of a cent
(no I am NOT joking).

"James McLaughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
>
> My Paradise account filters nearly all my spam mail, but there is one
> team of spammers who are getting through every day. They're sending me
> porn messages with a very structured style, so I can tell it is from
> the same people efvery time.
>
> Each message points me to a different site, and a Whois shows that
> each one has just been created by either Alfred Robinson or David
> Morgan.
>
> So my question is: Should I use their contact addresses to tell them
> to stop, or I'll start getting their sites shut down? I'm really
> ****ed off, and it's not like confirming my address will result in me
> suddenly getting their spam, because I'm already receiving it.
>
> Sure, their contact addresses might be fake, but I figure its worth a
> go.
>
> Can anyone suggest a downside to trying this?
>
> Thanks,
> James

Rob

"James McLaughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
>
> My Paradise account filters nearly all my spam mail, but there is one
> team of spammers who are getting through every day. They're sending me
> porn messages with a very structured style, so I can tell it is from
> the same people efvery time.
>
> Each message points me to a different site, and a Whois shows that
> each one has just been created by either Alfred Robinson or David
> Morgan.
>
> So my question is: Should I use their contact addresses to tell them
> to stop, or I'll start getting their sites shut down? I'm really
> ****ed off, and it's not like confirming my address will result in me
> suddenly getting their spam, because I'm already receiving it.
>
> Sure, their contact addresses might be fake, but I figure its worth a
> go.
>
> Can anyone suggest a downside to trying this?
>
> Thanks,
> James

Why don't you just bounce it back to them with mailwasher or similar, and be
done with it.

Aaron Lawrence

Suddenly, James McLaughlin sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
> Can anyone suggest a downside to trying this?

Yep, they can start joe-jobbing you - lets say, sending (fake) child-
porn spam with your email address in the from: address.

If you want to report, do it anonymously, e.g through spamcop.net.

Remember, any "quality" spammer is likely a professional criminal as
well, or linked to them.

--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and

Collector_NZ

James McLaughlin said the following on 20/10/2004 22:52:
> Hi.
>
> My Paradise account filters nearly all my spam mail, but there is one
> team of spammers who are getting through every day. They're sending me
> porn messages with a very structured style, so I can tell it is from
> the same people efvery time.
>
> Each message points me to a different site, and a Whois shows that
> each one has just been created by either Alfred Robinson or David
> Morgan.
>
> So my question is: Should I use their contact addresses to tell them
> to stop, or I'll start getting their sites shut down? I'm really
> ****ed off, and it's not like confirming my address will result in me
> suddenly getting their spam, because I'm already receiving it.
>
> Sure, their contact addresses might be fake, but I figure its worth a
> go.
>
> Can anyone suggest a downside to trying this?
>
> Thanks,
> James

Despite the harry halfwit dipshits normal "Change your email Address"
there is no need to do that.

1. The spam has probably got a forged from header
2. It probably also has been sent via an open relay
3. Never ever comunicate with a spammer this confirms your address is
live and will result in it becoming valuable to them, they add it to
thier confirmed live list which they sell on CD at much more profit than
the spam items they advertise. Your spam will INCREASE EXPONETIALLY
4. Use spam cop to identify the source and the hosting sites, report it
and keep reporting it. It may not shut it down but every bit helps.
5. If you just want to stop it hitting your inbox, investigate programs
like mailwasher and even your ISP's mail system filters if they have any.

thing

James McLaughlin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> My Paradise account filters nearly all my spam mail, but there is one
> team of spammers who are getting through every day. They're sending me
> porn messages with a very structured style, so I can tell it is from
> the same people efvery time.
>
> Each message points me to a different site, and a Whois shows that
> each one has just been created by either Alfred Robinson or David
> Morgan.
>
> So my question is: Should I use their contact addresses to tell them
> to stop, or I'll start getting their sites shut down? I'm really
> ****ed off, and it's not like confirming my address will result in me
> suddenly getting their spam, because I'm already receiving it.
>
> Sure, their contact addresses might be fake, but I figure its worth a
> go.
>
> Can anyone suggest a downside to trying this?
>
> Thanks,
> James

Do not send them any correspondance.

Send any missed spam to missedspam"at"paradise.net.nz".blah"

regards

thing

Hmmm

James McLaughlin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> My Paradise account filters nearly all my spam mail, but there is one
> team of spammers who are getting through every day. They're sending me
> porn messages with a very structured style, so I can tell it is from
> the same people efvery time.
>
> Each message points me to a different site, and a Whois shows that
> each one has just been created by either Alfred Robinson or David
> Morgan.
>
> So my question is: Should I use their contact addresses to tell them
> to stop, or I'll start getting their sites shut down? I'm really
> ****ed off, and it's not like confirming my address will result in me
> suddenly getting their spam, because I'm already receiving it.
>
> Sure, their contact addresses might be fake, but I figure its worth a
> go.
>
> Can anyone suggest a downside to trying this?
>
> Thanks,
> James

Like everyone said, there is no point in trying to contact them, they
will ignore your mail and you will just be confirming that your address
is active.

I would find a mail server that supports a challenge/resposne system
that supports RBL's
that supports SPF (stops people faking their domain)
that supports filtering
etc etc etc

with the above you should get next to 0 spam, especially
challenge/response systems.

You should report the spam to spamcop who will blacklist them if they
confirm that spam has been sent.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

thing wrote:
> Send any missed spam to missedspam"at"paradise.net.nz".blah"

couldn't this address be unmunged quite happily?
surely it would only ever receive spam?

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <QVAdd.387$(E-Mail Removed)>, Hmmm <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>with the above you should get next to 0 spam, especially
>challenge/response systems.

There's some opinion that challenge/response systems are a really bad
idea, because they simply increase the load of spam by sending out
spurious challenges to forged sender addresses.

[META] Talking about talking about C. Seebs C Programming 113 11-24-2010 08:57 AM
4 computers 2 not talking to each other Carol Wireless Networking 8 12-30-2005 06:11 PM
Netscreen-Remote client talking to Cisco VPN 3005? Road Rage Cisco 0 05-11-2005 03:26 PM
ATM links not talking polifemo Cisco 1 10-20-2003 02:28 PM
where can I find book/resources talking about DSP design using VHDL? walala VHDL 1 09-01-2003 09:54 AM

Advertisments