Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Resend: weird network traffic when accessing server over wireless connection

Resend: weird network traffic when accessing server over wireless connection

Xavier

Hello,

In an environment made of a Windows Small Business Server 2003 and a few
workstations (XP SP2, fully patched) I do encounter a weird behavior on one
particular laptop. When this laptop is connected via a RJ45 cable, the user
can access a data folder on the server without any issue, however, if the
laptop is connected via a wireless connection, browsing the same folder
takes a long time (something like 1 minute before displaying the list of
directories residing in the data folder).

I took a network trace and found that when the wireless connection is used,
tons of SMB calls like this are made:

SMB: C NT create & X, File = \abm
SMB: R NT create & X - NT error, System, Error, Code = (186)
STATUS_FILE_IS_A_DIRECTORY
SMB: C NT create & X, File =
\abm\:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}:$DATA
(...)
SMB: C NT create & X, File = \abm\:OzngklrtOwudrp0bAayojd1qWh:$DATA
SMB: R NT create & X - NT error, System, Error, Code = (51)
STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_INVALID
(...)
SMB: C NT create & X, File = \abm\:SummaryInformation:$DATA
SMB: R NT create & X - NT error, System, Error, Code = (51)
STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_INVALID
(...)
SMB: C NT create & X, File = \abm\ocf_SummaryInformation:$DATA
SMB: R NT create & X - NT error, System, Error, Code = (52)
STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND
(...)
SMB: C NT create & X, File = \abm:SebiesnrMkudrfcoIaamtykdDa:$DATA
SMB: R NT create & X - NT error, System, Error, Code = (52)
STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND

where \abm is the first directory present in the data folder browsed by the
user. I do get dozens of such calls per directory present in the data
folder. I am no expert, but it looks like if wireless is enabled, something
on the laptop tries to access some alternate ntfs stream on the various
directories.

Looks similar to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/265396/EN-US/ but it does
not apply to XP. And why do I see this when using the wireless adapter and
not the cable ?

Last things: only one network connection is enabled at the any time.
Accessing the folder via a mapped drive or via network neighbourhood does
not make any difference.

Has anyone ever seen this and what could be done to prevent this ?

Any help would be appreciated

Xavier