Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > [OT] Cellphones

Reply
Thread Tools

[OT] Cellphones

 
 
SNOman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
I thought/seem to recall that there was some issue not that long ago
regarding cellphones with cameras. Wasn't it something to do with
cellphones sold here had to make a noise when taking a picture to foil
potential changing room perverts?

A colleague here at work just got himself one of the Telescum Sanyo
calmshell phones and he can turn off the camera sound thereby allowing
the taking of silent pictures.

Any info?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
In article <cl1vki$s9e$(E-Mail Removed)>, SNOman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I thought/seem to recall that there was some issue not that long ago
>regarding cellphones with cameras. Wasn't it something to do with
>cellphones sold here had to make a noise when taking a picture to foil
>potential changing room perverts?
>
>A colleague here at work just got himself one of the Telescum Sanyo
>calmshell phones and he can turn off the camera sound thereby allowing
>the taking of silent pictures.
>
>Any info?


Surely a screwdriver and some sidecutters would do the "turn off the sound"
thing just as effectively ? Remember ... most regulations aren't there to
stop things ... just to make people feel happier about things



Bruce

------------------------------
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals
dying of nothing.

-Redd Foxx


Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
(if there were any)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
SNOman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <cl1vki$s9e$(E-Mail Removed)>, SNOman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I thought/seem to recall that there was some issue not that long ago
>>regarding cellphones with cameras. Wasn't it something to do with
>>cellphones sold here had to make a noise when taking a picture to foil
>>potential changing room perverts?
>>
>>A colleague here at work just got himself one of the Telescum Sanyo
>>calmshell phones and he can turn off the camera sound thereby allowing
>>the taking of silent pictures.
>>
>>Any info?

>
>
> Surely a screwdriver and some sidecutters would do the "turn off the sound"
> thing just as effectively ? Remember ... most regulations aren't there to
> stop things ... just to make people feel happier about things
>
>
>
> Bruce
>


Yeah I know, but that's not my point. If there is legislation that says
that a cellphone camera has to make a sound when taking a picture then
surely Telecom selling a camera which can manually have the sound turned
off (as part of the menu functions) is against the law.

I remember reading something about the sound issue just can't recall if
anything official was done about it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
In article <cl20m4$tdl$(E-Mail Removed)>, SNOman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> In article <cl1vki$s9e$(E-Mail Removed)>, SNOman <(E-Mail Removed)>

> wrote:
>>
>>>I thought/seem to recall that there was some issue not that long ago
>>>regarding cellphones with cameras. Wasn't it something to do with
>>>cellphones sold here had to make a noise when taking a picture to foil
>>>potential changing room perverts?
>>>
>>>A colleague here at work just got himself one of the Telescum Sanyo
>>>calmshell phones and he can turn off the camera sound thereby allowing
>>>the taking of silent pictures.
>>>
>>>Any info?


>> Surely a screwdriver and some sidecutters would do the "turn off the sound"
>> thing just as effectively ? Remember ... most regulations aren't there to
>> stop things ... just to make people feel happier about things

>
>Yeah I know, but that's not my point. If there is legislation that says
>that a cellphone camera has to make a sound when taking a picture then
>surely Telecom selling a camera which can manually have the sound turned
>off (as part of the menu functions) is against the law.


Good point. Perhaps they are relying on people leaving the settings alone
? perhaps they sell them with that setting and let others break the law
? Sounds like them

>I remember reading something about the sound issue just can't recall if
>anything official was done about it.


I don't recall anything like that. Let's hope you get some answers from
people that do.




Bruce

------------------------------
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals
dying of nothing.

-Redd Foxx


Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
(if there were any)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Hmmm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
SNOman wrote:
> I thought/seem to recall that there was some issue not that long ago
> regarding cellphones with cameras. Wasn't it something to do with
> cellphones sold here had to make a noise when taking a picture to foil
> potential changing room perverts?
>
> A colleague here at work just got himself one of the Telescum Sanyo
> calmshell phones and he can turn off the camera sound thereby allowing
> the taking of silent pictures.
>
> Any info?


No, that wasn't here, that was in korea or japan, i cannot remember which.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Kristofer Clayton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:54:10 +1300, SNOman <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>A colleague here at work just got himself one of the Telescum Sanyo
>calmshell phones and he can turn off the camera sound thereby allowing
>the taking of silent pictures.


My Nokia 6820 on the Vodafone network can also have the camera sounds
enabled/disabled via menu option. The camera in it sucks though, so
I'm not sure it would matter either way.


--
Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
Gisborne, New Zealand
 
Reply With Quote
 
Craig Shore
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:54:10 +1300, SNOman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I thought/seem to recall that there was some issue not that long ago
>regarding cellphones with cameras. Wasn't it something to do with
>cellphones sold here had to make a noise when taking a picture to foil
>potential changing room perverts?
>
>A colleague here at work just got himself one of the Telescum Sanyo
>calmshell phones and he can turn off the camera sound thereby allowing
>the taking of silent pictures.
>
>Any info?


Never heard of this, but one thing I did notice, and wondered why until I
clicked about 10 mins later, there are signs at Hanmer Springs Thermal Resort
that say no cellphones are to be used in the changing rooms. I was thinking
what difference does it make if anyone makes a call from the changing rooms then
I though of the camera thing.


 
Reply With Quote
 
A
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:54:10 +1300, SNOman <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I thought/seem to recall that there was some issue not that long ago
>regarding cellphones with cameras. Wasn't it something to do with
>cellphones sold here had to make a noise when taking a picture to foil
>potential changing room perverts?
>
>A colleague here at work just got himself one of the Telescum Sanyo
>calmshell phones and he can turn off the camera sound thereby allowing
>the taking of silent pictures.
>
>Any info?


I've owned three picture phones - Alcatel 735, Nokia 3200, Sharp
GX10i. All allow you to turn the sound off.

I doubt the government will pass a law which makes our phones
different from those overseas .


 
Reply With Quote
 
SNOman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
A wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:54:10 +1300, SNOman <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>
>>I thought/seem to recall that there was some issue not that long ago
>>regarding cellphones with cameras. Wasn't it something to do with
>>cellphones sold here had to make a noise when taking a picture to foil
>>potential changing room perverts?
>>
>>A colleague here at work just got himself one of the Telescum Sanyo
>>calmshell phones and he can turn off the camera sound thereby allowing
>>the taking of silent pictures.
>>
>>Any info?

>
>
> I've owned three picture phones - Alcatel 735, Nokia 3200, Sharp
> GX10i. All allow you to turn the sound off.
>
> I doubt the government will pass a law which makes our phones
> different from those overseas .
>
>

Several countries overseas already ban the turning off the sound
feature. I thought that we'd followed suit.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2004
SNOman wrote:

> I thought/seem to recall that there was some issue not that long ago
> regarding cellphones with cameras. Wasn't it something to do with
> cellphones sold here had to make a noise when taking a picture to foil
> potential changing room perverts?
>
> A colleague here at work just got himself one of the Telescum Sanyo
> calmshell phones and he can turn off the camera sound thereby allowing
> the taking of silent pictures.


There is no legislation of the type in NZ

When the person at vodafone tried to tell me that it was a law, I laughed.

It may be in some obscure asian country, but sure isn't here, and it sucks that
local products are forced to comply with some overseas law



----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Identifying mobile phones / cellphones The Eclectic Electric HTML 6 12-16-2006 07:25 AM
[Skype] VoSKY Exchange <-> cellphones? Vincent Delporte VOIP 0 05-08-2006 07:42 AM
J2ME on PDA/cellphones Rishi PIdva Java 0 12-14-2005 12:28 AM
Address Book, etc, Transfer from Different Brands of Cellphones Harvey Gratt Computer Support 0 10-19-2005 03:58 PM
Java and Cellphones Roedy Green Java 1 08-13-2005 08:32 AM



Advertisments