Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Question about changing ISP

Question about changing ISP

Italian Jobs

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:40:23 +1000, "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi all, I am currently with Iug and have been for some time. I recently have
>been following discussions about the new telecom 2Mb plans which are coming
>soon. Since Ihug is not offering these plans I am thinking about jumping
>ship to an ISP who does.
>
>Am I right in my understanding that if I transfer over to a new ISP from
>Ihug I have to pay a new "connection" charge ($99)????
>
>Also, at this stage Orcon looks like it might be my new ISP unless anyone
>can convince me otherwise or recommend a better ISP.
>
>Thanks in advance
>Mark

Look at Quicksilver

Justin Sim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all, I am currently with Iug and have been for some time. I recently have
>been following discussions about the new telecom 2Mb plans which are coming
>soon. Since Ihug is not offering these plans I am thinking about jumping
>ship to an ISP who does.
>
>Am I right in my understanding that if I transfer over to a new ISP from
>Ihug I have to pay a new "connection" charge ($99)????
>
>Also, at this stage Orcon looks like it might be my new ISP unless anyone
>can convince me otherwise or recommend a better ISP.

Hi Mark
Sign up for that Orcon accout and you'll be a telecom
customer as they take 59.95 while Orcon takes a whole $10.

This account is a cynical manipulation by Telecom to
sabotage the launch of wholesale adsl. Their timing sucks.

I was tempted by the speed increase too but long term
supporting telecom will just slow down the speed and keep
the price up for all of us.

That $99 fee is designed to lock you in once Telecom has
captured you.

Hmmm

Justin Sim wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:40:23 +1000, "Mark"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Hi all, I am currently with Iug and have been for some time. I recently have
>>been following discussions about the new telecom 2Mb plans which are coming
>>soon. Since Ihug is not offering these plans I am thinking about jumping
>>ship to an ISP who does.
>>
>>Am I right in my understanding that if I transfer over to a new ISP from
>>Ihug I have to pay a new "connection" charge ($99)????
>>
>>Also, at this stage Orcon looks like it might be my new ISP unless anyone
>>can convince me otherwise or recommend a better ISP.

> Hi Mark
> Sign up for that Orcon accout and you'll be a telecom
> customer as they take 59.95 while Orcon takes a whole $10.
>
> This account is a cynical manipulation by Telecom to
> sabotage the launch of wholesale adsl. Their timing sucks.
>
> I was tempted by the speed increase too but long term
> supporting telecom will just slow down the speed and keep
> the price up for all of us.
>
> That $99 fee is designed to lock you in once Telecom has
> captured you.

Yes, sad but true...

Several reasons why you should avoid the new telecom deals

1) you are basically helping telecom stay a monopoly.
2) they capped and then throttled back to pretty mcuh dialup speeds
10 gigs is nothing
Its must better to get 256kbits UNLIMITED/UNTHROTTLED from orcon..a nice
steady rate that will always stay at that speed..

it would be nice to have that 2 megabits, but it will suck when you are
back at dialup for the the last 3 weeks of each month or sooner once you
hit that target.

if you dont go with those plans it will put more pressure on telecom to
actually offer _decent_ high speed plans (uncapped!, or at least a
decent cap like 50 gigs) etc.

my 2 cents

rjj

FYI: Slingshot have dropped their 256k UBS unlimited plan price to
$49.95. On top of unlimited downloads you get a 1GB mailbox (with IMAP
support), 50MB of web hosting space, 7 email accounts, free tech
helpdesk and they are soon launching a new 'iTalk Phone' VoIP service
for $9.95 a month offering a 2nd phone line with free on-net calling and
low toll rates...

http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDe...id=11&subnav=3

Mark wrote:

> Hi again, thanks for your feedback. I think that I will utilise Orcons 256K
> unlimited unless Ihug offer the same deal.
> It would be nice to have 2Mb but a 10Gig cap seems pretty low all things
> considered.
> Thanks again
> Mark

E. Scrooge

"Justin Sim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:40:23 +1000, "Mark"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi all, I am currently with Iug and have been for some time. I recently
>>have
>>been following discussions about the new telecom 2Mb plans which are
>>coming
>>soon. Since Ihug is not offering these plans I am thinking about jumping
>>ship to an ISP who does.
>>
>>Am I right in my understanding that if I transfer over to a new ISP from
>>Ihug I have to pay a new "connection" charge ($99)????
>>
>>Also, at this stage Orcon looks like it might be my new ISP unless anyone
>>can convince me otherwise or recommend a better ISP.

> Hi Mark
> Sign up for that Orcon accout and you'll be a telecom
> customer as they take 59.95 while Orcon takes a whole $10.
>
> This account is a cynical manipulation by Telecom to
> sabotage the launch of wholesale adsl. Their timing sucks.
>
> I was tempted by the speed increase too but long term
> supporting telecom will just slow down the speed and keep
> the price up for all of us.
>
> That $99 fee is designed to lock you in once Telecom has
> captured you.

The bottom line is that it's actually Telecom that's providing the service.
Orcon are taking $10 handling your account.

Telecom have something that no other ISP can provide. ihug have even given
up on making Ultra a competitive reliable option.
In fact ihug is more interested in their phone business because of the
potential profits from it than the internet side of things.

E. Scrooge

E. Scrooge

"rjj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:1097650310.321730@ftpsrv1...
> FYI: Slingshot have dropped their 256k UBS unlimited plan price to $49.95.
> On top of unlimited downloads you get a 1GB mailbox (with IMAP support),
> 50MB of web hosting space, 7 email accounts, free tech helpdesk and they
> are soon launching a new 'iTalk Phone' VoIP service for $9.95 a month
> offering a 2nd phone line with free on-net calling and low toll rates...
>
> http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDe...id=11&subnav=3

Slingshot also have their own forum that customers can chat away in with
Slingshot about almost anything.
Plus Slingshot offer a good reliable service - on dial up at least.

E. Scrooge

E. Scrooge

"Krazy BoB" <@.com> wrote in message
news:NC5bd.110$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
>>
>> "rjj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> FYI: Slingshot have dropped their 256k UBS unlimited plan price to
>>> $49.95. On top of unlimited downloads you get a 1GB mailbox (with IMAP
>>> support), 50MB of web hosting space, 7 email accounts, free tech
>>> helpdesk and they are soon launching a new 'iTalk Phone' VoIP service
>>> for $9.95 a month offering a 2nd phone line with free on-net calling and
>>> low toll rates...
>>>
>>> http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDe...id=11&subnav=3

>> Slingshot also have their own forum that customers can chat away in with
>> Slingshot about almost anything.
>> Plus Slingshot offer a good reliable service - on dial up at least.
>>
>> E. Scrooge

> Haha, Don't make me laugh...Slingshot having reliable dial up
> service...give me a break, i've heard soo many people complain about their
> crappy service, slow dial up and useless support. I wonder if slingshot
> boardband will be any different.

Fat lot you know then.

E. Scrooge

Krazy BoB

> "rjj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> FYI: Slingshot have dropped their 256k UBS unlimited plan price to
>> $49.95. On top of unlimited downloads you get a 1GB mailbox (with IMAP
>> support), 50MB of web hosting space, 7 email accounts, free tech helpdesk
>> and they are soon launching a new 'iTalk Phone' VoIP service for $9.95 a
>> month offering a 2nd phone line with free on-net calling and low toll
>> rates...
>>
>> http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDe...id=11&subnav=3

> Slingshot also have their own forum that customers can chat away in with
> Slingshot about almost anything.
> Plus Slingshot offer a good reliable service - on dial up at least.
>
> E. Scrooge

Haha, Don't make me laugh...Slingshot having reliable dial up service...give
me a break, i've heard soo many people complain about their crappy service,
slow dial up and useless support. I wonder if slingshot boardband will be
any different.

Mark

Hi all, I am currently with Iug and have been for some time. I recently have
been following discussions about the new telecom 2Mb plans which are coming
soon. Since Ihug is not offering these plans I am thinking about jumping
ship to an ISP who does.

Am I right in my understanding that if I transfer over to a new ISP from
Ihug I have to pay a new "connection" charge ($99)????

Also, at this stage Orcon looks like it might be my new ISP unless anyone
can convince me otherwise or recommend a better ISP.

Thanks in advance
Mark
-**-
www.myoddjobs.co.nz :- Job auction website
-**-
Replace the Z with the e to reply

Mark

"Hmmm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:416cc3e9$1_4@127.0.0.1...
> Justin Sim wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:40:23 +1000, "Mark"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> >>Hi all, I am currently with Iug and have been for some time. I recently

have
> >>been following discussions about the new telecom 2Mb plans which are

coming
> >>soon. Since Ihug is not offering these plans I am thinking about jumping
> >>ship to an ISP who does.
> >>
> >>Am I right in my understanding that if I transfer over to a new ISP from
> >>Ihug I have to pay a new "connection" charge ($99)????
> >>
> >>Also, at this stage Orcon looks like it might be my new ISP unless

anyone
> >>can convince me otherwise or recommend a better ISP.

> > Hi Mark
> > Sign up for that Orcon accout and you'll be a telecom
> > customer as they take 59.95 while Orcon takes a whole $10.
> >
> > This account is a cynical manipulation by Telecom to
> > sabotage the launch of wholesale adsl. Their timing sucks.
> >
> > I was tempted by the speed increase too but long term
> > supporting telecom will just slow down the speed and keep
> > the price up for all of us.
> >
> > That $99 fee is designed to lock you in once Telecom has
> > captured you.

> Yes, sad but true...
>
> Several reasons why you should avoid the new telecom deals
>
> 1) you are basically helping telecom stay a monopoly.
> 2) they capped and then throttled back to pretty mcuh dialup speeds
> 10 gigs is nothing
> Its must better to get 256kbits UNLIMITED/UNTHROTTLED from orcon..a nice
> steady rate that will always stay at that speed..
>
> it would be nice to have that 2 megabits, but it will suck when you are
> back at dialup for the the last 3 weeks of each month or sooner once you
> hit that target.
>
> if you dont go with those plans it will put more pressure on telecom to
> actually offer _decent_ high speed plans (uncapped!, or at least a
> decent cap like 50 gigs) etc.
>
> my 2 cents

News==----

Newsgroups