Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > network access freezing up from time to time

network access freezing up from time to time

Craig Shore

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:56:28 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote:

>we have two win2k3 servers, each with ~1500 users each, and each with
>~200GB on them.
>
>Basically, when users try to save to their network drives, it is sitting
>there waiting for something... for ~10 seconds.
>
>Thankfully it isn't overly my problem, but admin in charge of it is
>about to kill someone by the looks of him, and I dont want to be the one.
>
>They arent limited by CPU, memory, or LAN connection, and dont appear to
>be limited by Hdd.
>

>Personally Im wondering if it is a dns/wins issue.
>
>Thanks in advance.

It's basically the problem I am having between the machines here P2P. I suspect
the 3rd party firewall has a lot to do with it.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Hmmm wrote:
> Does this happen each time? or only the first time?

each time

> if the user saves something it takes 10 seconds.. if they save again
> immediately does it still take 10 seconds?

oh, nope, it's fine if they do it again instantly.

> I am just checking obvious things... such as windows 2003 killing the
> connection, which has a default timeout of 15 minutes of inactivity, so
> if they havent done anything and then save, it can take sometime to
> reconnect etc...
> local policies -> security options -> amount of idle time required
> before suspending session (default 15 mins)

just checked and they have changed it to 120mins

> of course that might not have anything to do with it, but that caused
> big timeouts for me accessing a network drive hosted on 2003.

thanks anyway.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Craig Shore wrote:
> It's basically the problem I am having between the machines here P2P. I suspect
> the 3rd party firewall has a lot to do with it.

ok, except no FW is running here.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>>> nope, but thanks.

>> Do all your NIC's have auto-negotiation off and full duplex on?

> everything is hard-set.
> The two file servers are on Broardcom GBit Fibre.

which appears to be the problem...
something was wrong with the(admittedly default, but has worked in all
other cases)) fibre connection settings... fixed it on one for the
moment(requires reboot), the other can wait until early tomorrow morning
for a reboot.

It turned out that they were interfering with each other, essencially
like a duplex mis-match, but not.

One would hold the connection, flooding the fibre, the other couldn't
connect, other one would flood the fibre, this one couldn't connect...

Anyway, sorted now.

thanks guys.