Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > network access freezing up from time to time

network access freezing up from time to time

Dave - Dave.net.nz

we have two win2k3 servers, each with ~1500 users each, and each with
~200GB on them.

Basically, when users try to save to their network drives, it is sitting
there waiting for something... for ~10 seconds.

Thankfully it isn't overly my problem, but admin in charge of it is
about to kill someone by the looks of him, and I dont want to be the one.

They arent limited by CPU, memory, or LAN connection, and dont appear to
be limited by Hdd.

Personally Im wondering if it is a dns/wins issue.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan_Jacobs

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:56:28 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> provided this moment of wisdom:

>we have two win2k3 servers, each with ~1500 users each, and each with
>~200GB on them.
>
>Basically, when users try to save to their network drives, it is sitting
>there waiting for something... for ~10 seconds.
>
>Thankfully it isn't overly my problem, but admin in charge of it is
>about to kill someone by the looks of him, and I dont want to be the one.
>
>They arent limited by CPU, memory, or LAN connection, and dont appear to
>be limited by Hdd.
>

>Personally Im wondering if it is a dns/wins issue.
>
>Thanks in advance.

There were a few MS updates today. Are you running a SUS server or
maybe each client is getting updates direct from MS? Just a thought,
it might explain the network problems.

/Begin Sig
Welcome to RJ's house of idiots
#1. Redbaiter - the puppet - dances when I say so!
#2. Harry the troll - enuff said!
#3. Mr Scebe - still wearing my cum on his face!
#4. <Position vacant>
/End Sig

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Ryan_Jacobs wrote:
>>we have two win2k3 servers, each with ~1500 users each, and each with
>>~200GB on them.
>>Basically, when users try to save to their network drives, it is sitting
>>there waiting for something... for ~10 seconds.
>>They arent limited by CPU, memory, or LAN connection, and dont appear to
>>be limited by Hdd.
>>Personally Im wondering if it is a dns/wins issue.

> There were a few MS updates today. Are you running a SUS server or
> maybe each client is getting updates direct from MS? Just a thought,
> it might explain the network problems.

nope, but thanks... it's been happening for a few days(since friday)
when the machines got bought into action premetuarly due to hardware
failure in the old single server.

EMB

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> we have two win2k3 servers, each with ~1500 users each, and each with
> ~200GB on them.
>
> Basically, when users try to save to their network drives, it is sitting
> there waiting for something... for ~10 seconds.
>
> Thankfully it isn't overly my problem, but admin in charge of it is
> about to kill someone by the looks of him, and I dont want to be the one.
>
> They arent limited by CPU, memory, or LAN connection, and dont appear to
> be limited by Hdd.

What OS are you running on the client machines?
--
EMB
change two to the number to reply

EMB

Running arcserve on the server? See below

EMB wrote:
> What OS are you running on the client machines?

2k

Dave - Dave.net.nz

EMB wrote:
> Running arcserve on the server? See below

nope, but thanks.

JohnO

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> EMB wrote:
> > Running arcserve on the server? See below
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;822219

> nope, but thanks.

Do all your NIC's have auto-negotiation off and full duplex on?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

JohnO wrote:
>>>Running arcserve on the server? See below
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;822219

>>nope, but thanks.

> Do all your NIC's have auto-negotiation off and full duplex on?

everything is hard-set.
The two file servers are on Broardcom GBit Fibre.
All cisco networking gear of various types.

Desktops are Intel or Broardcom Gbit set to 100 Full

well, ~90% are... the rest um, I dont feel like checking at the moment,
lots of workstations, not enough time in the day as it is.

Hmmm

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> we have two win2k3 servers, each with ~1500 users each, and each with
> ~200GB on them.
>
> Basically, when users try to save to their network drives, it is sitting
> there waiting for something... for ~10 seconds.
>
> Thankfully it isn't overly my problem, but admin in charge of it is
> about to kill someone by the looks of him, and I dont want to be the one.
>
> They arent limited by CPU, memory, or LAN connection, and dont appear to
> be limited by Hdd.
>

> Personally Im wondering if it is a dns/wins issue.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Does this happen each time? or only the first time?

if the user saves something it takes 10 seconds.. if they save again
immediately does it still take 10 seconds?

I am just checking obvious things... such as windows 2003 killing the
connection, which has a default timeout of 15 minutes of inactivity, so
if they havent done anything and then save, it can take sometime to
reconnect etc...

local policies -> security options -> amount of idle time required
before suspending session (default 15 mins)

of course that might not have anything to do with it, but that caused
big timeouts for me accessing a network drive hosted on 2003.

Hmmmm