Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DVD Writter,

DVD Writter,

Krazy BoB

Hi there good people of nz comp.

I come here in search for answers, I would like to know what is a good dvd
writer to get, i've been searching for over a week and my mind boggles at
the number of dvd writers out there from $99 up to $599.

I've been told through friends pioneer is good brand but they have different
models out I don't know which one to get, also been told lite-on is good
also but still same as pioneer.

I'm looking to copy/back up my dvd collection I've bought / received over
the times and write it on to a new disk incase of scratches and what not's.

I know dual layer is better than single layer because your able to increase
the size of the disk capacity.

The thought of picking a dvd writer finding out that its a dud makes me
think twice,
If any one could lend me their opinion's it would be mostly greatly
appreciated

Cheers
Krazy BoB

Starkey

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:40:27 +1300, "Krazy BoB" <@.com> wrote:

>Hi there good people of nz comp.
>
>I come here in search for answers, I would like to know what is a good dvd
>writer to get, i've been searching for over a week and my mind boggles at
>the number of dvd writers out there from $99 up to $599.
>
>I've been told through friends pioneer is good brand but they have different
>models out I don't know which one to get, also been told lite-on is good
>also but still same as pioneer.
>
>I'm looking to copy/back up my dvd collection I've bought / received over
>the times and write it on to a new disk incase of scratches and what not's.
>
>I know dual layer is better than single layer because your able to increase
>the size of the disk capacity.
>
>The thought of picking a dvd writer finding out that its a dud makes me
>think twice,
>If any one could lend me their opinion's it would be mostly greatly
>appreciated
>
>Cheers
>Krazy BoB

yeah im in the same boat im holding off buying a 16X dvd drive i want
to see what other people think of dvdwriters atm

Rick Ward

check this months PC User mag for some good reviews, including being able to
flash the firmware of a relatively cheap liteon model to convert it from
single to double layer.

I've got a sony DRU 700A and can't fault it...

"Krazy BoB" <@.com> wrote in message
news:yzNad.12694$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there good people of nz comp.
>
> I come here in search for answers, I would like to know what is a good dvd
> writer to get, i've been searching for over a week and my mind boggles at
> the number of dvd writers out there from $99 up to $599.
>
> I've been told through friends pioneer is good brand but they have

different
> models out I don't know which one to get, also been told lite-on is good
> also but still same as pioneer.
>
> I'm looking to copy/back up my dvd collection I've bought / received over
> the times and write it on to a new disk incase of scratches and what

not's.

> I know dual layer is better than single layer because your able to

increase
> the size of the disk capacity.
>
> The thought of picking a dvd writer finding out that its a dud makes me
> think twice,
> If any one could lend me their opinion's it would be mostly greatly
> appreciated
>
> Cheers
> Krazy BoB

cowboyz

"Krazy BoB" <@.com> wrote in message
news:yzNad.12694$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there good people of nz comp.
>
> I come here in search for answers, I would like to know what is a good dvd
> writer to get, i've been searching for over a week and my mind boggles at
> the number of dvd writers out there from $99 up to $599.
>
> I've been told through friends pioneer is good brand but they have

different
> models out I don't know which one to get, also been told lite-on is good
> also but still same as pioneer.
>
> I'm looking to copy/back up my dvd collection I've bought / received over
> the times and write it on to a new disk incase of scratches and what

not's.

> I know dual layer is better than single layer because your able to

increase
> the size of the disk capacity.
>
> The thought of picking a dvd writer finding out that its a dud makes me
> think twice,
> If any one could lend me their opinion's it would be mostly greatly
> appreciated
>
> Cheers
> Krazy BoB

I had a Ricoh which was awesome. Loved it. Brought a LG because I gave my
Ricoh to a friend and I just happened to be passing a shop which had one in
the window. I have a spongebob DVD which I have been trying to backup for
ages and it kept failing on the read due to all the scratches. This was my
test DVD for the LG and it passed with flying colours. Very good and
reading dodgy discs. Dual layer is all good if you want it but I figured by
the time the media becomes affordable I will be looking at changing the
writer anyway so I'll do the dual layer thing next time round.

Hmmm

cowboyz wrote:
> "Krazy BoB" <@.com> wrote in message
> news:yzNad.12694$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hi there good people of nz comp.
>>
>>I come here in search for answers, I would like to know what is a good dvd
>>writer to get, i've been searching for over a week and my mind boggles at
>>the number of dvd writers out there from $99 up to $599.
>>
>>I've been told through friends pioneer is good brand but they have

> different
>
>>models out I don't know which one to get, also been told lite-on is good
>>also but still same as pioneer.
>>
>>I'm looking to copy/back up my dvd collection I've bought / received over
>>the times and write it on to a new disk incase of scratches and what

> not's.
>
>>I know dual layer is better than single layer because your able to

> increase
>
>>the size of the disk capacity.
>>
>>The thought of picking a dvd writer finding out that its a dud makes me
>>think twice,
>>If any one could lend me their opinion's it would be mostly greatly
>>appreciated
>>
>>Cheers
>>Krazy BoB
>>

> I had a Ricoh which was awesome. Loved it. Brought a LG because I gave my
> Ricoh to a friend and I just happened to be passing a shop which had one in
> the window. I have a spongebob DVD which I have been trying to backup for
> ages and it kept failing on the read due to all the scratches. This was my
> test DVD for the LG and it passed with flying colours. Very good and
> reading dodgy discs. Dual layer is all good if you want it but I figured by
> the time the media becomes affordable I will be looking at changing the
> writer anyway so I'll do the dual layer thing next time round.

http://www.cdrinfo.com has a huge roundup of reviews on the writers.
LG is their recommended choice
Liteon have apparently suffered with their dual layer burners with
compatibility with standalone players, but that maybe just a firmware
problem that will be remedied.
Pioneer are also great burners

As Dual layer burners are now at the 200 dollar mark, and there are some
in nz at 160-170 dollars, id defiantely get dual layer even if you do
have to wait a bit for the media to get to reasonable levels

Geronimo!

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:26:47 +1300, "Rick Ward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>check this months PC User mag for some good reviews, including being able to
>flash the firmware of a relatively cheap liteon model to convert it from
>single to double layer.
>
>I've got a sony DRU 700A and can't fault it...

Yes Made by LiteOn..

>"Krazy BoB" <@.com> wrote in message
>news:yzNad.12694$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi there good people of nz comp.
>>
>> I come here in search for answers, I would like to know what is a good dvd
>> writer to get, i've been searching for over a week and my mind boggles at
>> the number of dvd writers out there from $99 up to $599.
>>
>> I've been told through friends pioneer is good brand but they have

>different
>> models out I don't know which one to get, also been told lite-on is good
>> also but still same as pioneer.
>>
>> I'm looking to copy/back up my dvd collection I've bought / received over
>> the times and write it on to a new disk incase of scratches and what

>not's.
>>
>> I know dual layer is better than single layer because your able to

>increase
>> the size of the disk capacity.
>>
>> The thought of picking a dvd writer finding out that its a dud makes me
>> think twice,
>> If any one could lend me their opinion's it would be mostly greatly
>> appreciated
>>
>> Cheers
>> Krazy BoB

Krazy BoB

"Hmmm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:416c38d0_4@127.0.0.1...
> cowboyz wrote:
>> "Krazy BoB" <@.com> wrote in message
>> news:yzNad.12694$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Hi there good people of nz comp.
>>>
>>>I come here in search for answers, I would like to know what is a good
>>>dvd
>>>writer to get, i've been searching for over a week and my mind boggles at
>>>the number of dvd writers out there from $99 up to $599.
>>>
>>>I've been told through friends pioneer is good brand but they have

>> different
>>
>>>models out I don't know which one to get, also been told lite-on is good
>>>also but still same as pioneer.
>>>
>>>I'm looking to copy/back up my dvd collection I've bought / received over
>>>the times and write it on to a new disk incase of scratches and what

>> not's.
>>
>>>I know dual layer is better than single layer because your able to

>> increase
>>
>>>the size of the disk capacity.
>>>
>>>The thought of picking a dvd writer finding out that its a dud makes me
>>>think twice,
>>>If any one could lend me their opinion's it would be mostly greatly
>>>appreciated
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>>Krazy BoB
>>>

>> I had a Ricoh which was awesome. Loved it. Brought a LG because I gave
>> my
>> Ricoh to a friend and I just happened to be passing a shop which had one
>> in
>> the window. I have a spongebob DVD which I have been trying to backup
>> for
>> ages and it kept failing on the read due to all the scratches. This was
>> my
>> test DVD for the LG and it passed with flying colours. Very good and
>> reading dodgy discs. Dual layer is all good if you want it but I figured
>> by
>> the time the media becomes affordable I will be looking at changing the
>> writer anyway so I'll do the dual layer thing next time round.
>>

> http://www.cdrinfo.com has a huge roundup of reviews on the writers.
> LG is their recommended choice
> Liteon have apparently suffered with their dual layer burners with
> compatibility with standalone players, but that maybe just a firmware
> problem that will be remedied.
> Pioneer are also great burners
>
> As Dual layer burners are now at the 200 dollar mark, and there are some
> in nz at 160-170 dollars, id defiantely get dual layer even if you do have
> to wait a bit for the media to get to reasonable levels

Cheers for that people, i've searched through pricespy.co.nz for prices for
dvd writers.
I think i'll either get a pioneer, LG or a Lite-on, so thats narrowed it
down. But which model now is the question :-s

John Potter

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:40:27 +1300, "Krazy BoB" <@.com> wrote:

>Hi there good people of nz comp.

snip

>I'm looking to copy/back up my dvd collection I've bought / received over
>the times and write it on to a new disk incase of scratches and what not's.

My writer (Toshiba in laptop w/Nero) won't copy DVDs if they're
copyright or out of zone. Is that normal anyone?

John

Geronimo!

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:55:26 +1200, John Potter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:40:27 +1300, "Krazy BoB" <@.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi there good people of nz comp.
>>

>snip
>
>>I'm looking to copy/back up my dvd collection I've bought / received over
>>the times and write it on to a new disk incase of scratches and what not's.

>My writer (Toshiba in laptop w/Nero) won't copy DVDs if they're
>copyright or out of zone. Is that normal anyone?
>
>John

Might with the right software.

Ray Colvill

I am stoked with my purchase

Brought a single layer Liteon ide 851 model

Using the PC mag instructions upgraded it to a SOHW 832
dual layer and it works.

This software may be of interest "DVD REGION + CSS FREE"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...