Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ADSL router FIREWALL setup??

ADSL router FIREWALL setup??

Steve Robertson

Hi. Ive just bought a Billion 7100s. It has some hardware firewall
functions in it.
I cant for the life of me find any sites that show how to setup the firewall
functions. Billions website is hopeless, nothing in various support forums.
Google just gives the usual hits of onsite retailers.
I have found sites that show hoto do
port forwarding but nothing else (IE RULES, SPI, & other options).
I assume port fording is the same as pinholing??

Any pointers to good hoto sites for this??

Legs

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 07:10:35 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Steve Robertson)
wrote:

>Hi. Ive just bought a Billion 7100s. It has some hardware firewall
>functions in it.
>I cant for the life of me find any sites that show how to setup the firewall
>functions. Billions website is hopeless, nothing in various support forums.
>Google just gives the usual hits of onsite retailers.
>I have found sites that show hoto do
>port forwarding but nothing else (IE RULES, SPI, & other options).
>I assume port fording is the same as pinholing??
>
>Any pointers to good hoto sites for this??

As a port of 2nd call - I would suggest you have a look at :

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

I don't know how their description of the setup compares but can't
hurt to have a look

cheers

---------------------------
Bacon and egg sandwiches -

A lifetime's commitment for the pig,
a day's work for the chicken.
Run of the mill for the bread.

Tiddlywink

As a port of 2nd call - I would suggest you have a look at :

> http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm
>
> I don't know how their description of the setup compares but can't
> hurt to have a look
>
> cheers
> ---------------------------
> Bacon and egg sandwiches -
>
> A lifetime's commitment for the pig,
> a day's work for the chicken.
> Run of the mill for the bread.

Thanks Legs while not OP, I found it a useful reference.

Steve Robertson

>http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Thanks.
They have a sister site
www.firewalling.com
Didnt have Billion setup thou.

Hmmm

What exactly do you want to know?
I am using billion firmware..

Their SPI firewall is on by default, otherwise your options are to setup
packet filtering etc and intrusion detection etc.

Also if you are using version 300 of their firmware (can see in status),
you should setup a dmz to a non existant ip on your lan, as that will
stealth your ports above 1024.

port forwards are just pinholes yes.

If you want the manual icq me on 861168 and i can forward it on to you.
its very in depth.

Steve Robertson wrote:
> Hi. Ive just bought a Billion 7100s. It has some hardware firewall
> functions in it.
> I cant for the life of me find any sites that show how to setup the firewall
> functions. Billions website is hopeless, nothing in various support forums.
> Google just gives the usual hits of onsite retailers.
> I have found sites that show hoto do
> port forwarding but nothing else (IE RULES, SPI, & other options).
> I assume port fording is the same as pinholing??
>
> Any pointers to good hoto sites for this??

samg

(E-Mail Removed) (Steve Robertson) wrote in
news:zbqad.12160$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi. Ive just bought a Billion 7100s. It has some hardware firewall
> functions in it.
> I cant for the life of me find any sites that show how to setup the
> firewall functions. Billions website is hopeless, nothing in various
> support forums. Google just gives the usual hits of onsite retailers.
> I have found sites that show hoto do
> port forwarding but nothing else (IE RULES, SPI, & other options).
> I assume port fording is the same as pinholing??
>
> Any pointers to good hoto sites for this??

heres the australian site for these routers, try the forums for help.

http://www.ausadsl.info/index.php

heres another page that might help

http://www.moremaps.com/billion.html

Gordon

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 07:10:35 +0000, Steve Robertson wrote:

> Hi. Ive just bought a Billion 7100s. It has some hardware firewall
> functions in it.

Use them.

> I cant for the life of me find any sites that show how to setup the firewall
> functions. Billions website is hopeless, nothing in various support forums.
> Google just gives the usual hits of onsite retailers.

****, looks like you are balanced on the cutting edge. Hang in there.

Steve Robertson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 07:10:35 +0000, Steve Robertson wrote:
>
>> Hi. Ive just bought a Billion 7100s. It has some hardware firewall
>> functions in it.

>Use them.

I want to. The manuals they come with & from the support site are
simplistic
eg: Dothingy whatsit option. To turn this on tick the box. (nothing on how to
configure the dothingy option)

Hmmm

Steve Robertson wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 07:10:35 +0000, Steve Robertson wrote:
>>

>>>Hi. Ive just bought a Billion 7100s. It has some hardware firewall
>>>functions in it.

>>Use them.

> I want to. The manuals they come with & from the support site are
> simplistic
> eg: Dothingy whatsit option. To turn this on tick the box. (nothing on how to
> configure the dothingy option)

So what exactly are you wanting to do?

The router is pretty straightforward, theres not much they can go into
depth about in their manusls really...

adsl router to adsl router czar Cisco 2 05-01-2007 05:42 AM
Sweex ADSL Annex-A wired ADSL Router Switch Alex Clarke Computer Support 2 10-15-2005 11:34 PM
ADSL router as ATA without ADSL bit? Adam Aglionby UK VOIP 2 08-24-2005 12:07 AM
Netgear wireless router/ADSL/firewall DG834G - Dropping connection bab Computer Support 5 10-26-2004 12:37 AM

Advertisments