Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft Security Hands-On labs now LIVE

Microsoft Security Hands-On labs now LIVE

Brett Roberts

Microsoft has developed a series of four 90-minute labs that allow students
to apply information and guidance to improve security in a network based on
Microsoft Windows. These labs have been enormously successful at events such
as TechEd US and TechEd Europe. The four modules are:

Lab 1: Managing Security Updates
Lab 2: Implementing Server Security
Lab 3: Implementing Client Security for Windows 2000 and Windows XP
Lab 4: Implementing Application Security

Customers can now take these labs at home or in the office by registering at
http://www.microsoftelearning.com/security/. The labs are conducted using
real hardware in a safe online environment built on Microsoft Virtual Server
technology.

**Note that there is no cost to sign up for these labs **

One other link which may be of interest is
http://www.microsoft.com/seminar/eve...y/default.mspx which details
forthcoming security-related events and webcasts along with pre-recorded
training materials and presentations

Brett Roberts
Microsoft NZ

Waylon Kenning

It seems like Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:15:04 +1300 was when "Brett Roberts"
<(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...

>Customers can now take these labs at home or in the office by registering at
>http://www.microsoftelearning.com/security/. The labs are conducted using
>real hardware in a safe online environment built on Microsoft Virtual Server
>technology.

Interesting. Do you think this technology would replace real hardware
tests for certification in general? For instance, I read in Linux
Format that for a RHCE, it's all based around hardware, no multiple
choice questions. However, I don't know enough about MCSE exams to
comment.

Good on Microsoft for doing free training, it's a positive step.
--
Regards,
Waylon Kenning.

1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

Brett Roberts

"Waylon Kenning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It seems like Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:15:04 +1300 was when "Brett Roberts"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...
>
>>Customers can now take these labs at home or in the office by registering
>>at
>>http://www.microsoftelearning.com/security/. The labs are conducted using
>>real hardware in a safe online environment built on Microsoft Virtual
>>Server
>>technology.

> Interesting. Do you think this technology would replace real hardware
> tests for certification in general? For instance, I read in Linux
> Format that for a RHCE, it's all based around hardware, no multiple
> choice questions. However, I don't know enough about MCSE exams to
> comment.
>
> Good on Microsoft for doing free training, it's a positive step.
> --
> Regards,
> Waylon Kenning.
>
> 1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

I'm not an expert in this area but I suspect that when it comes to training,
it's likely that virtualisation will eventually remove the requirement for
on-premises hardware. Obviously reliable bandwidth is a key prerequisite so
there will be issues in some geographies but I'd hazard a guess and say that
the days of IT training organisations needing to invest heavily in server
hardware are numbered.