Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Been with Mozilla for long. Is 1.7.12 the latest version still ?

Been with Mozilla for long. Is 1.7.12 the latest version still ?

gwtc

Vinayak wrote:
> Hi
>

> I've Been with Mozilla for long.
>
> Is 1.7.12 the latest version still ?
> http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
>
> I'm a newbie and I feel I can *only* use stable versions (i.e.)
> nightlies are too much for me
>
> any suggestions, pointers to the latest stable version would be appreciated
>

> TIA
> &
> Regards

Moz 1.7.12 IS the latest version. There is a 1.7.13 on the horizon,
and that will be the final. Moz as we know it has come to an end.
The Moz Foundation has discontinued making the Suite program in favour
of separate programs such as Firefox and Thunderbird.

However, there are a few of the Suite developers, testers and others
who want to continue with the Suite program, so they formed a council
and with a little support from the Foundation, have come out with a
new program called Seamonkey. SM 1.0 [final release] picks up where
Moz 1.8 left off, and there have been lots of rave reviews, and you
can get more info about it here:

gwtc

Vinayak wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>

>>Vinayak wrote:
>>

>>>Hi
>>>

>>>I've Been with Mozilla for long.
>>>
>>>Is 1.7.12 the latest version still ?
>>>http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
>>>
>>>I'm a newbie and I feel I can *only* use stable versions (i.e.)
>>>nightlies are too much for me
>>>
>>>any suggestions, pointers to the latest stable version would be
>>>appreciated
>>>

>>>TIA
>>>&
>>>Regards

>>Moz 1.7.12 IS the latest version. There is a 1.7.13 on the horizon, and
>>that will be the final. Moz as we know it has come to an end. The Moz
>>Foundation has discontinued making the Suite program in favour of
>>separate programs such as Firefox and Thunderbird.
>>
>>However, there are a few of the Suite developers, testers and others who
>>want to continue with the Suite program, so they formed a council and
>>with a little support from the Foundation, have come out with a new
>>program called Seamonkey. SM 1.0 [final release] picks up where Moz 1.8
>>left off, and there have been lots of rave reviews, and you can get more
>>info about it here: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

> Dear gwtc
>
> *Thanks for this very quick reply*
>
> I use Win XPP + Mozilla 1.7.12.
>
> I just visited
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seam...tml#2006-01-30
>
> As a new bie user with *little or no* I.T. skills (but a dedicated
> Mozilla user), I have the following question :

Lets see if I can answer them.

> - Has anyone here moved to Sea monkey since Jan 2006 ?

there have been many that have switched from Moz to SM.

> - what's your experience ?

I haven't moved yet. I'm waiting for one of my extensions to make it
to final release before I make the official move.

> - *How essential is a change* ? I don't want to move unless that has
> real advantages over the cost / effort needed to move.

as I said, Moz is a dead product. SM takes over where Moz left off.
SM has many bug and security fixes.

> - How smooth is a change ?

Smooth as a baby's butt

> - I have some 5 active profiles, each with it's own e mail address and
> set of mail (history of approx 2 - 3 years really), totaling approx 1.5 GB.

Thats nice. First of all, from the mail application, click on File,
Compact Folders. That might shrink your file sizes. Also, if there's
really old mail, then archive some of them. I mean, take me for
example. I created a folder called 2004, and moved all 2004 messages
into that. Then close Moz, and using my File Manager, I went into the
mail section of my profile and copied that file out of Moz and put it
somewhere else. Then re-open Moz and delete that folder.

> - Given this, how safe is it to MOVE these profiles to Seamonky ?

Very safe. SM will pick up and use the same profiles as Moz will.
Just don't use the same profile for Moz and SM. You never know when
something might cause your computer to crash and explode.

> - any other tips / tricks / check list ?

Just install it, if you want, and try it out. If you don't like it,
you can always remove it and con't using Moz.

BTW: its spelt Seamonkey, not Seamonky

> *TIA* &
> regards
>
> Vinayak

gwtc

Vinayak wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>

>>Vinayak wrote:
>>

>>>Hi
>>>

>>>I've Been with Mozilla for long.
>>>
>>>Is 1.7.12 the latest version still ?
>>>http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
>>>
>>>I'm a newbie and I feel I can *only* use stable versions (i.e.)
>>>nightlies are too much for me
>>>
>>>any suggestions, pointers to the latest stable version would be
>>>appreciated
>>>

>>>TIA
>>>&
>>>Regards

>>Moz 1.7.12 IS the latest version. There is a 1.7.13 on the horizon, and
>>that will be the final. Moz as we know it has come to an end. The Moz
>>Foundation has discontinued making the Suite program in favour of
>>separate programs such as Firefox and Thunderbird.
>>
>>However, there are a few of the Suite developers, testers and others who
>>want to continue with the Suite program, so they formed a council and
>>with a little support from the Foundation, have come out with a new
>>program called Seamonkey. SM 1.0 [final release] picks up where Moz 1.8
>>left off, and there have been lots of rave reviews, and you can get more
>>info about it here: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

> Dear gwtc
>
> *Thanks for this very quick reply*
>
> I use Win XPP + Mozilla 1.7.12.
>
> I just visited
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seam...tml#2006-01-30
>
> As a new bie user with *little or no* I.T. skills (but a dedicated
> Mozilla user), I have the following question :
>
> - Has anyone here moved to Sea monkey since Jan 2006 ?
>
> - what's your experience ?
>
> - *How essential is a change* ? I don't want to move unless that has
> real advantages over the cost / effort needed to move.
>
> - How smooth is a change ?
>
> - I have some 5 active profiles, each with it's own e mail address and
> set of mail (history of approx 2 - 3 years really), totaling approx 1.5 GB.
>
> - Given this, how safe is it to MOVE these profiles to Seamonky ?
>
> - any other tips / tricks / check list ?
>
> *TIA* &
> regards
>
> Vinayak

BTW -- check you time. I think your running a little fast.

Vinayak

gwtc wrote:

> Vinayak wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>

>> I've Been with Mozilla for long.
>>
>> Is 1.7.12 the latest version still ?
>> http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
>>
>> I'm a newbie and I feel I can *only* use stable versions (i.e.)
>> nightlies are too much for me
>>
>> any suggestions, pointers to the latest stable version would be
>> appreciated
>>

>> TIA
>> &
>> Regards

> Moz 1.7.12 IS the latest version. There is a 1.7.13 on the horizon, and
> that will be the final. Moz as we know it has come to an end. The Moz
> Foundation has discontinued making the Suite program in favour of
> separate programs such as Firefox and Thunderbird.
>
> However, there are a few of the Suite developers, testers and others who
> want to continue with the Suite program, so they formed a council and
> with a little support from the Foundation, have come out with a new
> program called Seamonkey. SM 1.0 [final release] picks up where Moz 1.8
> left off, and there have been lots of rave reviews, and you can get more
> info about it here: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Dear gwtc

*Thanks for this very quick reply*

I use Win XPP + Mozilla 1.7.12.

I just visited
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seam...tml#2006-01-30

As a new bie user with *little or no* I.T. skills (but a dedicated
Mozilla user), I have the following question :

- Has anyone here moved to Sea monkey since Jan 2006 ?

- what's your experience ?

- *How essential is a change* ? I don't want to move unless that has
real advantages over the cost / effort needed to move.

- How smooth is a change ?

- I have some 5 active profiles, each with it's own e mail address and
set of mail (history of approx 2 - 3 years really), totaling approx 1.5 GB.

- Given this, how safe is it to MOVE these profiles to Seamonky ?

- any other tips / tricks / check list ?

*TIA* &
regards

Vinayak

Busman

OK. After using Firefox for the past year and being generally pleased with
it; what are the differences between it and Sea Monkey?
Andy

"gwtc" <(E-Mail Removed)37> wrote in message
news:e06bpd$r4i$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vinayak wrote:
>
>> gwtc wrote:

>>>Moz 1.7.12 IS the latest version. There is a 1.7.13 on the horizon, and
>>>that will be the final. Moz as we know it has come to an end. The Moz
>>>Foundation has discontinued making the Suite program in favour of
>>>separate programs such as Firefox and Thunderbird.
>>>
>>>However, there are a few of the Suite developers, testers and others who
>>>want to continue with the Suite program, so they formed a council and
>>>with a little support from the Foundation, have come out with a new
>>>program called Seamonkey. SM 1.0 [final release] picks up where Moz 1.8
>>>left off, and there have been lots of rave reviews, and you can get more
>>>info about it here: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

>> Dear gwtc
>>
>> *Thanks for this very quick reply*
>>
>> I use Win XPP + Mozilla 1.7.12.
>>
>> I just visited
>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seam...tml#2006-01-30
>>
>> As a new bie user with *little or no* I.T. skills (but a dedicated
>> Mozilla user), I have the following question :
>>

> Lets see if I can answer them.
>
>> - Has anyone here moved to Sea monkey since Jan 2006 ?
>>

> there have been many that have switched from Moz to SM.
>
>> - what's your experience ?

> I haven't moved yet. I'm waiting for one of my extensions to make it to
> final release before I make the official move.
>

>> - *How essential is a change* ? I don't want to move unless that has
>> real advantages over the cost / effort needed to move.
>>

> as I said, Moz is a dead product. SM takes over where Moz left off. SM
> has many bug and security fixes.
>
>> - How smooth is a change ?

> Smooth as a baby's butt
>

>> - I have some 5 active profiles, each with it's own e mail address and
>> set of mail (history of approx 2 - 3 years really), totaling approx 1.5
>> GB.
>>

> Thats nice. First of all, from the mail application, click on File,
> Compact Folders. That might shrink your file sizes. Also, if there's
> really old mail, then archive some of them. I mean, take me for example.
> I created a folder called 2004, and moved all 2004 messages into that.
> Then close Moz, and using my File Manager, I went into the mail section of
> my profile and copied that file out of Moz and put it somewhere else.
> Then re-open Moz and delete that folder.
>

>> - Given this, how safe is it to MOVE these profiles to Seamonky ?
>>

> Very safe. SM will pick up and use the same profiles as Moz will. Just
> don't use the same profile for Moz and SM. You never know when something
> might cause your computer to crash and explode.
>
>> - any other tips / tricks / check list ?

> Just install it, if you want, and try it out. If you don't like it, you
> can always remove it and con't using Moz.
>
> BTW: its spelt Seamonkey, not Seamonky
>

>> *TIA* &
>> regards
>>
>> Vinayak

Nobody

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 06:29:09 -0800, gwtc <(E-Mail Removed)37>
wrote:

>Vinayak wrote:
>> Hi
>>

>> I've Been with Mozilla for long.
>>
>> Is 1.7.12 the latest version still ?
>> http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
>>
>> I'm a newbie and I feel I can *only* use stable versions (i.e.)
>> nightlies are too much for me
>>
>> any suggestions, pointers to the latest stable version would be appreciated
>>

>> TIA
>> &
>> Regards

>Moz 1.7.12 IS the latest version. There is a 1.7.13 on the horizon,
>and that will be the final. Moz as we know it has come to an end.
>The Moz Foundation has discontinued making the Suite program in favour
>of separate programs such as Firefox and Thunderbird.
>
>However, there are a few of the Suite developers, testers and others
>who want to continue with the Suite program, so they formed a council
>and with a little support from the Foundation, have come out with a
>new program called Seamonkey. SM 1.0 [final release] picks up where
>Moz 1.8 left off, and there have been lots of rave reviews, and you
>can get more info about it here:
>http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

As an "average" (non-techie) user, SeaMonkey has been great...
unistalled Moz 1.7.12 first... SeaMonkey picked up two profiles
seamlessly and almost perfectly (one had a rendering problem that was
fixed by renaming the profile blah blah... never did figure out what
caused it).

And smooth sailing since.

Ed Mullen

Busman wrote:
> OK. After using Firefox for the past year and being generally pleased
> with it; what are the differences between it and Sea Monkey?
> Andy

SeaMonkey (one word) is a suite of programs in the model of Mozilla
Suite and Netscape 7x. It includes browser, mail/news, irc chat, and an
html composer. Firefox is just a browser.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ed Mullen

Vinayak wrote:

> - Has anyone here moved to Sea monkey since Jan 2006 ?
>
> - what's your experience ?

I moved from the Mozilla Suite to SeaMonkey when it reached Beta. I had
zero problems or issues making the change. I love the program.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

gwtc

Ed Mullen wrote:

> Busman wrote:
>
>>OK. After using Firefox for the past year and being generally pleased
>>with it; what are the differences between it and Sea Monkey?
>>Andy
>>

> SeaMonkey (one word) is a suite of programs in the model of Mozilla
> Suite and Netscape 7x. It includes browser, mail/news, irc chat, and an
> html composer. Firefox is just a browser.

and the old Net 4.x