Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Sempron

Sempron

Steve Robertson

I was thinking about upgrading to a semperon: they seem to benchmark
pretty good. Then I looked on pricespy, Only about $20 cheaper that the equiv
speed Athlon, so why bother for the sake of $20??
Whats the point of a budget CPU thats not a budget price??
Am I missing something here??

colinco

In article Steve Robertson says...
> Am I missing something here??

The supply of Athlons will dry up soon.

~misfit~

Steve Robertson wrote:
> I was thinking about upgrading to a semperon: they seem to benchmark
> pretty good. Then I looked on pricespy, Only about $20 cheaper that
> the equiv speed Athlon, so why bother for the sake of $20??
> Whats the point of a budget CPU thats not a budget price??
> Am I missing something here??

To compare a Sempron to an XP remember that 'Sempron rating number minus 400
equals Athlon XP rating number'.

The Semprons are designed to compete with a Celeron running at the same
speed (Mhz) as the Sempron's rating.
--
~misfit~

NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:02:23 +1300, colinco wrote:

> The supply of Athlons will dry up soon.

Why? How? When?

Divine

--
"Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
become Shorthorn."

Steve Robertson

>To compare a Sempron to an XP remember that 'Sempron rating number minus 400
>equals Athlon XP rating number'.
>
>The Semprons are designed to compete with a Celeron running at the same
>speed (Mhz) as the Sempron's rating.

AMD Sempron 2800+ 2.0GHz Socket A
AMD Athlon XP2700+ 2.17GHz
Both are (approx) the same price.

~misfit~

> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:02:23 +1300, colinco wrote:
>
>> The supply of Athlons will dry up soon.

> Why? How? When?

Socket A Athlons will soon disappear from the market. The name "Athlon" will
be reserved for the 64-bit CPUs.

All that will be available for the Socket A platform is Semprons. Also, to
confuse matters, Semprons are available for the new sockets, although only
one model ATM.
--
~misfit~

Andrei Sharko

As I understand it - it is just a matter of branding. Athlons will be
called Semprons, and Athlon 64s will be called Athlons.

"Steve Robertson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RL_9d.11681$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I was thinking about upgrading to a semperon: they seem to benchmark
> pretty good. Then I looked on pricespy, Only about $20 cheaper that the
> equiv
> speed Athlon, so why bother for the sake of $20??
> Whats the point of a budget CPU thats not a budget price??
> Am I missing something here??

Dave - Dave.net.nz

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>The supply of Athlons will dry up soon.

> Why? How? When?

the athlon name is being kept for mid range gear... sempr0n for low.
it's already happening.

Warwick

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:52:45 +1300, Andrei Sharko wrote:

> As I understand it - it is just a matter of branding. Athlons will be
> called Semprons, and Athlon 64s will be called Athlons.
>
> "Steve Robertson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:RL_9d.11681$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I was thinking about upgrading to a semperon: they seem to benchmark
>> pretty good. Then I looked on pricespy, Only about $20 cheaper that the
>> equiv
>> speed Athlon, so why bother for the sake of $20??
>> Whats the point of a budget CPU thats not a budget price??
>> Am I missing something here??

Thats funny in a boot on the other foot kind of way.
I remember early AMD days, at the time of the 486 chip.

At that time, Intel needed a cheaper competitor to the AMD arrival. So they
disabled the math co pro on the 486 DX chip, branded it a 486 SX, and sold
it at a cheaper price. You could even buy a math co-pro as an accessory for
the SX, even tho the circuitry for it was built into the cpu.