Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Extending broadband?

Extending broadband?

IRO

A friend lives at West Melton, just a km or so beyond the reach of ADSL.
He has a friend using it who would be happy to relay a radio signal.

Anyone local experimenting with WiFi 802.11b/g over longer distances
than the usual LAN?

--
~IRO
My ambition in Life is to build something that will

SteveM

IRO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> A friend lives at West Melton, just a km or so beyond the reach of
> ADSL. He has a friend using it who would be happy to relay a radio
> signal.
>
> Anyone local experimenting with WiFi 802.11b/g over longer distances
> than the usual LAN?

Easy-peasy. 1k is nothing using the right gear and as long as you have
line of sight!

I can get my AP from 6kms away with a 19 DB grid antenna.

See: http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~sdmcc

With an AP at the friends end using an external patch or grid antenna
and another AP running in client or bridge mode with the same type of
antenna, they should have no problem.

Also see: http://www.nzwireless.org for a community wireless forum where
similar questions have been asked.

SteveM

Dave - Dave.net.nz

SteveM wrote:
>>Anyone local experimenting with WiFi 802.11b/g over longer distances
>>than the usual LAN?

> Easy-peasy. 1k is nothing using the right gear and as long as you have
> line of sight!
> I can get my AP from 6kms away with a 19 DB grid antenna.
> See: http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~sdmcc

like steve says, long distance is fine as long as you have the gear.

We've used two 29dB parabolics to go 27km LOS... not sure how far
further you could go without some sort of finer tuning for pointing them
in the right direction. We were using eye, cell and really bright
spotlight to line them up.

Extending the reception of a network yar Wireless Networking 3 06-15-2005 05:16 PM
extending a wireless Stuart Turrell Wireless Networking 6 11-30-2004 10:18 PM
Extending a Vlan Dak991 Cisco 1 11-23-2004 06:48 PM
Extending console cable Stibloc Cisco 3 02-29-2004 02:34 AM
Extending a T1 over Ethernet / Fiber link Rick G Cisco 2 07-11-2003 09:22 PM

Advertisments