Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > What the Skype?

What the Skype?

IRO

I recently fired up Skype and was delighted with the ease with which I
set up free phone conversations between New Zealand and my daughter in
London.

However, on a tip, I fired up Little Snitch, an application that
monitors network traffic. There was a constant barrage of connection
requests via a variety of ports to all manner of strange addresses all
over the globe. All my contacts are running OSX Panther but given the
general nervousness about intrusions these days should I be concerned
about these connections?

--
~IRO
My ambition in Life is to build something that will

Bruce Hoult

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
IRO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I recently fired up Skype and was delighted with the ease with which I
> set up free phone conversations between New Zealand and my daughter in
> London.
>
> However, on a tip, I fired up Little Snitch, an application that
> monitors network traffic. There was a constant barrage of connection
> requests via a variety of ports to all manner of strange addresses all
> over the globe. All my contacts are running OSX Panther but given the
> general nervousness about intrusions these days should I be concerned
> about these connections?

Skype is peer to peer, which means it tries to talk directly from A to
B. But if both A and B are behind firewalls then it is impossible for
either to open an incoming connection to the other. In this case Skype
finds a 3rd party, C, that is not behind a firewall and has both A and B
connect to C.

Kazaa does the same thing.

If you don't like it then put in a firewall (NAT will do).

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

IRO wrote:
> I recently fired up Skype and was delighted with the ease with which I
> set up free phone conversations between New Zealand and my daughter in
> London.
>
> However, on a tip, I fired up Little Snitch, an application that
> monitors network traffic. There was a constant barrage of connection
> requests via a variety of ports to all manner of strange addresses all
> over the globe. All my contacts are running OSX Panther but given the
> general nervousness about intrusions these days should I be concerned
> about these connections?

grc.com has their port scan test, and one user reports that he fails
this test with Skype running yet passes without...

I'm a bit sceptical about the program hence, but since I'm running a
very stroppy firewall under Linux I'm expecting that Skype will not
work at all unless I relax my security...something I may not be keen
to do...

Certainly the idea that my computer might become a 'supernode' at the
whim of the Skype system worries me...

--
Kind regards,

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Chris Wilkinson wrote:
> Certainly the idea that my computer might become a 'supernode' at the
> whim of the Skype system worries me...

with Telecoms best deal being 192K upload, I dont think you have much of
a chance of becoming a supernode

Dave Taylor

IRO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:irotemp-

> I recently fired up Skype and was delighted with the ease with which I
> set up free phone conversations between New Zealand and my daughter in
> London.
>
> However, on a tip, I fired up Little Snitch, an application that
> monitors network traffic. There was a constant barrage of connection
> requests via a variety of ports to all manner of strange addresses all
> over the globe. All my contacts are running OSX Panther but given the
> general nervousness about intrusions these days should I be concerned
> about these connections?

next time you are having a skype conversation do a netstat 5 or
thereabouts.
You will see that your traffic will change from point to point on a regular
basis, this is how skype works ( at least that is how it did on .97)
I amazed that the quality of the audio is so high considering the spread
out delivery method.

--
Ciao, Dave

Darrell Greenwood

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> All my contacts are running OSX Panther but given the
> general nervousness about intrusions these days should I be concerned
> about these connections?

No.

Skype uses P2P technology to keep track of the status of subscribers.
An interesting concept which means Skype should scale well since no
central server is needed to do this. However this means you need these
connections to "peers" to establish a call.

The P2P traffic is only as needed and quite low in my experience --
after an initial burst of a few seconds on startup the traffic for
Skype drops down to a few packets per minute on average (I've monitored
the traffic with a packet sniffer).

Once a call connection is made the UDP packets travel directly between
the two computers involved. This traffic is encrypted so casual
eavesdropping is prevented. This direct traffic is around
4kBytes/second in each direction.

Cheers,

Darrell

--
To reply, substitute .net for .invalid in address, i.e., darrell.usenet2 (at)
telus.net

Fetch-Rover-Fetch@K9University.edu

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> Certainly the idea that my computer might become a 'supernode' at the
>> whim of the Skype system worries me...

> with Telecoms best deal being 192K upload, I dont think you have much of
> a chance of becoming a supernode

you must have crappy telecoms 'round you

'round these here parts you can get a 6Mbps/1.5Mbps for ~$100

Dave - Dave.net.nz

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Certainly the idea that my computer might become a 'supernode' at the
>>> whim of the Skype system worries me...

>> with Telecoms best deal being 192K upload, I dont think you have much
>> of a chance of becoming a supernode

> you must have crappy telecoms 'round you
> 'round these here parts you can get a 6Mbps/1.5Mbps for ~$100

yep... thats the best that is currently on offer.
wifi operators offer better plans, as do a few others, but they're all
small and isolated(reletivly) areas.

I hadn't noticed the cross post, but anyway, nz is New Zealand... land
of the bastard monopoly telco.

The best deal (not quite)available is 2Mbps/192kbps for ~$60nz(~$30US)...

Mike_P

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> with Telecoms best deal being 192K upload, I dont think you have much of
>>> a chance of becoming a supernode

>> you must have crappy telecoms 'round you
>> 'round these here parts you can get a 6Mbps/1.5Mbps for ~$100

> yep... thats the best that is currently on offer.
> wifi operators offer better plans, as do a few others, but they're all
> small and isolated(reletivly) areas.
>
> I hadn't noticed the cross post, but anyway, nz is New Zealand... land of
> the bastard monopoly telco.
>
> The best deal (not quite)available is 2Mbps/192kbps for ~$60nz(~$30US)...

Actually that's about $40US at current exchange rates...

bAZZ

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz says...

> >> with Telecoms best deal being 192K upload, I dont think you have much
> >> of a chance of becoming a supernode

> > you must have crappy telecoms 'round you
> > 'round these here parts you can get a 6Mbps/1.5Mbps for ~$100

> yep... thats the best that is currently on offer.
> wifi operators offer better plans, as do a few others, but they're all
> small and isolated(reletivly) areas.
>
> I hadn't noticed the cross post, but anyway, nz is New Zealand... land
> of the bastard monopoly telco.
>
> The best deal (not quite)available is 2Mbps/192kbps for ~$60nz(~$30US)...

Whos that with Dave ? Going adsl by Xmas ( unless dunedin wireless gets
off ground first ?????).

bAZZ