Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Fails to detect hard drive on startup sometimes

Fails to detect hard drive on startup sometimes

GraB

Went to visit a friend and witness his PC fail to detect a bootable
drive. He says this has happened a few times recently. But it
usually works on a second attempt. Could the hard drive be on the way
out? Only about 2yrs old.

Geronimo!

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 20:16:48 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Went to visit a friend and witness his PC fail to detect a bootable
>drive. He says this has happened a few times recently. But it
>usually works on a second attempt. Could the hard drive be on the way
>out? Only about 2yrs old.

Could be the Power supply is dying so the drive is slow to boot up.

See if your Bios has a boot delay option or set the Floppy Seek on in the
Bios..

This will sort of prove that the drive is slow to get upto speed, and could
point to a PSU problem..

Dave - Dave.net.nz

GraB wrote:
> Went to visit a friend and witness his PC fail to detect a bootable
> drive. He says this has happened a few times recently. But it
> usually works on a second attempt. Could the hard drive be on the way
> out? Only about 2yrs old.

check the PSU, and the PCU cables... I had one like this last week and
it was just a dodgy PSU cable

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Thu, 07 Oct 2004
08:52:03 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz>
says...
> GraB wrote:
> > Went to visit a friend and witness his PC fail to detect a bootable
> > drive. He says this has happened a few times recently. But it
> > usually works on a second attempt. Could the hard drive be on the way
> > out? Only about 2yrs old.

> check the PSU, and the PCU cables... I had one like this last week and
> it was just a dodgy PSU cable

Yeh we had a hard drive that randomly disappeared, it was a bad power
connection. Could also be the hard drive cable.